Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinkets

• 04-01-2013 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,757 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

I myself have never been Geocaching (hopefully will change this year).

I'm just curious as to what trinkets people have retrieved from caches and likewise, what ye have replaced them with?

Can they be anything from a small figurine to an australian dollar for example?

What are the most common trinkets you have come across??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

Keyrings and micromachines are the most common trinkets I've taken and placed. Tracker bugs and Geocoins are pretty common too. I've found one or two international items like coins ect. Always interesting to see how far an item has travelled around the globe! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Vaperus

Pretty much all sorts
    The big thing to remember is make it lid friendly as a lot of kids find these
    I myself have never been Geocaching (hopefully will change this year).

I'm just curious as to what trinkets people have retrieved from caches and likewise, what ye have replaced them with?

Can they be anything from a small figurine to an australian dollar for example?

What are the most common trinkets you have come across??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,757 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

When people take a trinket and replace it, what do you do with the one you took? Put it into another cache or hold onto it if ya like it?

Either.
    Some people hold on to them as tokens of thier find.
    Others swap them for items in other caches.
    If you have kids with you they usually just get kept.

Unless its a Trackable and thats Different

Just read an ealier post of mine, that should have been Kid Friendly not lid friendly :-)

We have marble things made with our caching name on them Trysor9 we drop one in every cache unless its a Nano, people like to collect the personalised items.
    We usually drop in other bits an pieces as well if theres room

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Vaperus wrote: »
    We have marble things made with our caching name on them Trysor9 we drop one in every cache unless its a Nano, people like to collect the personalised items.

I found a couple of your little glass marble things today, cool looking yokes, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

How can you check where a token has travelled? Like a marble or a small model of something.

each trackable has a unique code so anybody finding one is meant to log the number, where they picked it up and where they dropped it.
    The system then logs its travel on a map and records the miles its done

each trackable has a unique code so anybody finding one is meant to log the number, where they picked it up and where they dropped it.
    The system then logs its travel on a map and records the miles its done

So say I put a random object in the cache a number is assigned to it?

xaoifsx wrote: »
    So say I put a random object in the cache a number is assigned to it?

No, only items that are designed to be tracked, that have a tracking number on them that you can register on geocaching.com can be tracked. You have to buy them, they're called trackables.

Little bits and bobs that you'd put in a cache are just swapped and taken (or ignored!) by other cachers.

• Advertisement

No, only items that are designed to be tracked, that have a tracking number on them that you can register on geocaching.com can be tracked. You have to buy them, they're called trackables.

Little bits and bobs that you'd put in a cache are just swapped and taken (or ignored!) by other cachers.

So theres no way of tracking random pieces? :(

Afraid not!

Afraid not!

Dammit. Id like to send something unique off somewhere and follow its travels!

xaoifsx wrote: »
    Dammit. Id like to send something unique off somewhere and follow its travels!

Well that's the idea behind travel bugs, you get one and you attach it to whatever you want, and then send it off on its travels. Then when somebody finds what you sent off, they see there's a travel bug attached to it and they use the code on the travel bug to track it.

You can set goals as well. I found one recently that was part of a race. A family each had their own little items which they placed at the same time, and the winner was the first one to travel 10,000km. The one I found had already won, it was all over europe and down in south africa before making its way here.

Other people put goals like "I'd like to visit every country in Europe" or "I want to go to Italy and then back to Ireland" or whatever.

the travel bugs look like dog tags you can either tie the dog tag to the item write the number off the dog tag on the item.

Trackables can be anything if you can get the trackable number on it.
    We even have two vehicles that are trackables

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

the travel bugs look like dog tags you can either tie the dog tag to the item write the number off the dog tag on the item.

Trackables can be anything if you can get the trackable number on it.
    We even have two vehicles that are trackables

Lols, I remember going to the my first geocaching event (and first time properly caching) and the first thing everyone did was to walk around the cars taking pictures of the rear window. At that stage I had serious doubts about whether geocaching was for me!!

There are many Aspects of Geoching though
    Different Types of Cache
    Trackables etc
    If you find a trackable you dont have to take it.

Different people will get different things out of the Different types of Geocaching

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MunsterGeo

Just read an ealier post of mine, that should have been Kid Friendly not lid friendly :-)

We usually drop in other bits an pieces as well if theres room

My gang like your marble idea. My small fella has a loose understanding of geocaching as treasure hunting where you are allowed to sometimes take one piece of "treasure" and in turn must leave a piece of "treasure".

We had a think and after no inspiring idea emerging, I pulled out a 3/4" ring (olive) from a plumbing fitting.

It was decided that we could engrave it with our geocaching name "MunsterGeo". So a quick trip to the local plumbing wholesaler seen a handful of olives purchased for a few cents.

A bit of messy fun followed seeing who could make theirs the shiniest using Brasso wadding. Wrote on our geocaching name with a fine tipped marker and spent a few minutes engraving it. More cleaning with brasso, followed by a quick degreasing and a coat of clear lacquer to keep it nice and shiny.

An hour this evening will see the handful of olives engraved. However I may engrave the rest a bit deeper and fill the engraving with paint to make it stand out a little more. Just need to choose colour that will contrast with the shiny ring, maybe even paint "Munster" & "Geo" in different colours, then a coat of clear lacquer.

Its not all that great an idea in terms of a trinket to drop, but its an idea we've worked on and put our personal little touch on.

We're looking forward to locating caches and dropping our little trinket in suitable ones :D

Thats a brilliant Idea
    You can get a lot of junk in caches so I dont usually take stuff unless its for the kids.
    But it is great to find personalized items and a lot of Caches think the same.

look forward to finding one

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭RJC

I have a bag of small kids toys in the car - the sort you pick up in a kinder egg - that I buy in a local market for a few euro every year when on holiday in Italy.

I normally drop a few of these into caches that can take them.

• Advertisement

I've ordered a bunch of little miss sunshine button badges to put in them :D

Advertisement