Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Comments

Well, no luck for me. Managed to get the board to POST once. I keep getting the Red ez debug led for the CPU.
    I've gone ahead and ordered an Aorus Elite X570. The MSI one is being returned to Amazon on Monday for a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Well, no luck for me. Managed to get the board to POST once. I keep getting the Red ez debug led for the CPU.
    I've gone ahead and ordered an Aorus Elite X570. The MSI one is being returned to Amazon on Monday for a refund.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

deceit wrote: »
    Just ordered the Gigabyte Aorus extreme from mindfactory. Bit more expensive than I presumed it would be (790). Must not tell the missus :p
    Ended up cancelling this order from Mindfactory as the expected date kept being extended and ordered it for about 100 more on scan.co.uk as I'm impatient. It was £795 sterling in the end. Finally posted today.
    Has anyone else had any issues with trying to get the part you wanted?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Grahamer72 wrote:
    Well, no luck for me. Managed to get the board to POST once. I keep getting the Red ez debug led for the CPU. I've gone ahead and ordered an Aorus Elite X570. The MSI one is being returned to Amazon on Monday for a refund.

Shame, worth a try. Is it the tomahawk for you too? Seems to be the main problematic one.

Let us know what you think of the aorus elite, bios in particular, seen complaints about that too but at least it will work!

.G. wrote: »
    Shame, worth a try. Is it the tomahawk for you too? Seems to be the main problematic one.

Let us know what you think of the aorus elite, bios in particular, seen complaints about that too but at least it will work!

It was the Gaming Pro Carbon AC. The X570 has shipped and will be with me on Tuesday. Won't get a chance to install it until Friday though. Will update once i've it up and running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

It was the Gaming Pro Carbon AC. The X570 has shipped and will be with me on Tuesday. Won't get a chance to install it until Friday though. Will update once i've it up and running.

I'm actually kind of tempted to buy a 2600 til the whole thing blows over, there seems to bios complaints about everything and the x570 boards are almost the price of the 2600 more expensive than the b450 anyways...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Anyone looking to buy a Zen 2 cpu and a b450 board, if you order them together from CCL they'll update the bios for you before shipping.
    Shipping is only €11 once it's under 25kg to. So you can buy any b450, x470, b350 or x370 board from CCL and they'll automatically update the bios if it's ordered with a Zen 2 cpu.

I only figured this out because when I was about to order from amazon I realised the case I want is out of stock for 5-8 weeks, found the same case on ccl and realised their shipping was pretty cheap and the other parts are +/- the same price as amazon anyway so I might as well order the lot together. Also means I can order a mobo that doesn't have USB bios flashback giving me lots more options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Anyone looking to buy a Zen 2 cpu and a b450 board, if you order them together from CCL they'll update the bios for you before shipping.
    Shipping is only €11 once it's under 25kg to. So you can buy any b450, x470, b350 or x370 board from CCL and they'll automatically update the bios if it's ordered with a Zen 2 cpu.

I only figured this out because when I was about to order from amazon I realised the case I want is out of stock for 5-8 weeks, found the same case on ccl and realised their shipping was pretty cheap and the other parts are +/- the same price as amazon anyway so I might as well order the lot together. Also means I can order a mobo that doesn't have USB bios flashback giving me lots more options.

I didn't know about them, thanks for the heads up - looking at their website now :)

Sometimes I wonder if I am the only one who hates that shopping for tech HAS to happen online these days as retailers aren't there anymore - and it's not just an "Irish curse", it's the same for example in Italy, you can only find cheap ass laptops in generic appliance stores. But people only want cheap ass laptops, so...

I really miss the time when you could just drive up to a store and drive away with a boot full of component boxes (and an empty wallet). Sure the choice was kinda limited, but at least you didn't have to deal with deliveries, RMAs and various sh1t. Something was DOA, you just brought it back the next day.

Having been in a couple of MicroCenters in the USA I really, really envy them!

PS. R9 still nowhere to be seen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I know what you mean. Particularly things like cases, monitors, fans. Stuff you really benefit from being able to pick up, or see/hear.

Practically speaking, I'm actually kinda glad we don't have a Microcenter. I do not last long in that place, whatever my intentions were going in.

Serephucus wrote: »
    I know what you mean. Particularly things like cases, monitors, fans. Stuff you really benefit from being able to pick up, or see/hear.

Practically speaking, I'm actually kinda glad we don't have a Microcenter. I do not last long in that place, whatever my intentions were going in.

Believe it or not, I ended up walking out of MC without buying anything two times out of two I've been in there!!! Not having space in the suitcase might have had something to do with it :D

But yes - monitors are the biggest issue for me; I'm EXTREMELY fussy about them and buying off a review, no matter how technical I know the reviewers to be (e.g. Linus, Jayz2Cents, GN, Bitwit etc.), doesn't make it for me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,815 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I'm very close to canceling my order on Scan for the AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, there's still no sign of it coming in stock.

I might purchase directly from AMD on Amazon instead as they only take money when it's actually shipped

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    I didn't know about them, thanks for the heads up - looking at their website now :)

Sometimes I wonder if I am the only one who hates that shopping for tech HAS to happen online these days as retailers aren't there anymore - and it's not just an "Irish curse", it's the same for example in Italy, you can only find cheap ass laptops in generic appliance stores. But people only want cheap ass laptops, so...

I really miss the time when you could just drive up to a store and drive away with a boot full of component boxes (and an empty wallet). Sure the choice was kinda limited, but at least you didn't have to deal with deliveries, RMAs and various sh1t. Something was DOA, you just brought it back the next day.

Having been in a couple of MicroCenters in the USA I really, really envy them!

PS. R9 still nowhere to be seen :(

Not to mention any Irish retailers that actually do stock some half decent gpus CPUs cases etc.. are way overpriced compared to UK market
    Even Irish online sites are massively overpriced
    I was in pc world the other day their monitors are ok for the average Joe soap but my God they be awful for gaming.
    Harvey Norman's in tallaght has or at least had a gaming section for mech keyboards and an Acer predator monitor but the system it was hooked up too didn't do it any Justice and again it was way overpriced.

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Not to mention any Irish retailers that actually do stock some half decent gpus CPUs cases etc.. are way overpriced compared to UK market
    Even Irish online sites are massively overpriced
    I was in pc world the other day their monitors are ok for the average Joe soap but my God they be awful for gaming.
    Harvey Norman's in tallaght has or at least had a gaming section for mech keyboards and an Acer predator monitor but the system it was hooked up too didn't do it any Justice and again it was way overpriced.

I wouldn't mind about paying extra - the immediate access and browsing/sampling experience is worth it.

The problem is that supply is not there, and again this ain't just an Irish problem - stores don't exist anymore in most countries as the masses now only want tablets, phones and cheap laptops. Next to go the way of the "internet only" are going ot be consoles.

PCWorld/Currys do offer a decent selection of Logitech/Corsair/Razer keyboards & mice; my G610 and G402 were bought in there - again, I need to "feel" a keyboard or a mouse and don't mind about paying extra. I've also got a HyperX desk mat in Gamestop, of all places.

But stuff like 144Hz screens and the likes, forget about it - the average chump can't understand why it costs double the price of a same size 60Hz one.

Still scouting the webz for availability of R9. Ideally, I'd like to be able to get the new components by the bank holiday Thursday, as I've taken Friday off as well. An idea would be to get an X470 board and run it with my current CPU initially (as I said, my main "beef" is the B350 board I have...just too many weird niggles with it), but I will admit that the idea of getting an i9-9900k and tinker with overclocking it is sounding more and more appealing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Does anyone know of a shop with stock of 3600 that will cost €210 delivered in EU ?

Amazon is costing this amount, but no stock.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I wouldn't mind about paying extra - the immediate access and browsing/sampling experience is worth it.

The problem is that supply is not there, and again this ain't just an Irish problem - stores don't exist anymore in most countries as the masses now only want tablets, phones and cheap laptops. Next to go the way of the "internet only" are going ot be consoles.

Nah, its just that PC component stock devalues like crazy on shelves. It was always a industry perfect for high volume, which is not a thing in the Irish market.

In larger country's in Europe you find plenty of brick stores with decent stock. They also have a significantly higher number of potential customers.

Nah, its just that PC component stock devalues like crazy on shelves. It was always a industry perfect for high volume, which is not a thing in the Irish market.

In larger country's in Europe you find plenty of brick stores with decent stock. They also have a significantly higher number of potential customers.

I am not sure about the last part - there are none left from where I come from in Italy. All PC parts stores that were there when I left some 10+ years ago are now either smartphone shops or have closed down entirely (imagine my surprise when I walked to one of the biggest ones I used to go to and found a pharmacy instead). A quick internet search pops up shops that pretend to be PC stores, but in reality are office supplies places - they have the odd laptop charger and printer cartridge, but not much more.

Speaking with a few lads at the office from Spain and France they tell me the exact same; But then again, maybe it depends on the city; Gaming and high-end PCs have never been a "thing" in southern Italy, even when the shops were there. I can imagine there'd still be some in say Milan or Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCWorld/Currys do offer a decent selection of Logitech/Corsair/Razer keyboards & mice; my G610 and G402 were bought in there - again, I need to "feel" a keyboard or a mouse and don't mind about paying extra. I've also got a HyperX desk mat in Gamestop, of all places.

But stuff like 144Hz screens and the likes, forget about it - the average chump can't understand why it costs double the price of a same size 60Hz one.

Still scouting the webz for availability of R9. Ideally, I'd like to be able to get the new components by the bank holiday Thursday, as I've taken Friday off as well. An idea would be to get an X470 board and run it with my current CPU initially (as I said, my main "beef" is the B350 board I have...just too many weird niggles with it), but I will admit that the idea of getting an i9-9900k and tinker with overclocking it is sounding more and more appealing...

For gaming & overclocking, the 9900K probably is more suited - and it's available for an all-time low on Amazon (£405).

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    For gaming & overclocking, the 9900K probably is more suited - and it's available for an all-time low on Amazon (£405).

The price is very tempting.

Fact is, I use the PC as an all-rounder - I'd very much prefer an R9 as it's got the "oomp" in all areas.

I frankly never got the "Intel if you're gaming" thing going around since Ryzen came out; The performance difference in terms of FPS is pretty much impossible to notice unless you either have a very low-spec configuration or are running benchmarks all the time, while the productivity benefits for Ryzen are clear and tangible.

Also, very very very few people would use a high-end PC exclusively for gaming, most will do other things on it as well; Recommending an Intel CPU in the last couple of years seems pretty much pointless to me unless we're talking extremely specific workloads - or the pre R9 scenario, where there simply wasn't an answer to the i9.

It's not a "fanboy" view, I'll buy whatever suits me (I have an i7-8750H laptop) it's just that it seems pretty logical to me - Ryzen CPUs have been the best all rounders for the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Does anyone know of a shop with stock of 3600 that will cost €210 delivered in EU ?

Amazon is costing this amount, but no stock.

Thanks.

Cclonline have them in stock.
    Buts it's about 225e with delivery once pound is converted

• Advertisement

I am not sure about the last part - there are none left from where I come from in Italy. All PC parts stores that were there when I left some 10+ years ago are now either smartphone shops or have closed down entirely (imagine my surprise when I walked to one of the biggest ones I used to go to and found a pharmacy instead). A quick internet search pops up shops that pretend to be PC stores, but in reality are office supplies places - they have the odd laptop charger and printer cartridge, but not much more.

Speaking with a few lads at the office from Spain and France they tell me the exact same; But then again, maybe it depends on the city; Gaming and high-end PCs have never been a "thing" in southern Italy, even when the shops were there. I can imagine there'd still be some in say Milan or Paris.
    I'm living in Germany and places like Mediamarkt/Saturn are everywhere which stock loads of computer parts and custom prebuilts.

I'm living in Germany and places like Mediamarkt/Saturn are everywhere which stock loads of computer parts and custom prebuilts.

Gods I hate you so much :pac:

That's very interesting - it seems to indeed depend on the zone. The same shop exists in Italy (called Mediaworld) and they have nothing of the sorts stocked in the physical stores - just recently I've seen some gaming laptops.

They do have components on the website 'though.

Gods I hate you so much :pac:
    I might just go into one or two of the stores I live beside and send you pics to make it a little worse :D (I live in the countryside and am still 5 minutes drive from two large stores with big gaming pc sections :D ).

deceit wrote:

Was going to say that, I'm going to Berlin next week and that saturn place will be getting a visit. There's loads of pc component stores just in Berlin alone.

The prices are climbing up to €230ish with shipping.

I have noticed the price is starting to rise on gen 3 cpu's and the mobo's. OCUK etc have raised the price by £10 in the last few days for the 3600. I think it's because Amazon are out of stock and stores with stock are cashing in.

I have a rig running and I'm not desperate... yet :)

I might just preorder it on Amazon at the €209 and wait for now. If one comes up in the meantime then I'll just cancel it.

.G. wrote: »
    Was going to say that, I'm going to Berlin next week and that saturn place will be getting a visit. There's loads of pc component stores just in Berlin alone.
    Ensure you visit Expert bening and Mediamarkt. I haven't been in the mediamarkt in berlin in 10 years but it had a huge selection when I was last there. I don't expect it will have changed much.

Ensure you visit Expert bening and Mediamarkt. I haven't been in the mediamarkt in berlin in 10 years but it had a huge selection when I was last there. I don't expect it will have changed much.

Excellent. Thanks man. I best bring the credit card:D

And just to prove my last post... The price of the 3600 has just increased on Amazon by £10

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07STGGQ18/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

I just reserved one on Amazon.de for €219.20 inclusive of DPD parcel wizard (to save on VAT, €6, it all ads up).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The demand for these proc's has been pretty unexpected. I don't think AMD would expect the 3900x would eat into the high end market this much.

Advertisement