Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can we talk about AH?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Even threads that start off well usually get hijacked by the same people throwing an "off colour" remark that offends some other fool and derails the whole thread.

It's turning into thejournal, where the same d*ckheads turn up to every story and start mouthing off about Leo, travellers, public sector, lefties, right wing etc etc.

Just ignore them. They keep up that crap, because people get enraged and respond to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

no, not at all. it was implicit in what was said that it was rape, no-one ever said it wasn't.
    but this arguments been had, no need to go over it again

Disagree about sex vs. Rape, she was "rode" was the word used, but agree about not going over it again.

Its just one of many examples of anti women sentiment on AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

It's not that I'm offended, its that it goes against the rules of the site.

We used to believe that if you don't like the way the site is run, there's lots of other internet space out there for you, off you pop.

Nowadays, its more you don't like that thread? SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP.

And that's a load of balls.

Never was and never should be free speech on boards. Plenty of other spaces to espouse dickish views

"Dickish views" are just views you personally don't agree with yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Just ignore them. They keep up that crap, because people get enraged and respond to it.

I do, but eventually the thread is ruined and mods have to step in.

The people who shout the loudest get the most attention, while those who have meaningful things to say are ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I do, but eventually the thread is ruined and mods have to step in.

The people who shout the loudest get the most attention, while those who have meaningful things to say are ignored.

Or maybe, just maybe the people who have the most popular opinion get the most attention and those in the minority are ignored?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

It's not that I'm offended, its that it goes against the rules of the site.

We used to believe that if you don't like the way the site is run, there's lots of other internet space out there for you, off you pop.

Nowadays, its more you don't like that thread? SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP.

And that's a load of balls.

Never was and never should be free speech on boards. Plenty of other spaces to espouse dickish views

This sounds to me like you want a 'safe space'! Your posts come across as someone who is/was un willing to accept change and that there are people who have different opinions to you but you somehow seem to think that your opinions are morally acceptable and are superior to the opinions of other users. Times have changed dramatically over the past decade or so, so have peoples opinions. I have my issues with mods and how they tend to be subjective in there reasoning for closing threads and how they act in general. For example, a mod fcuking with the thread title of a thread topic because they didnt agree with it and thought it was funny. Behaviour of both mods and users on AH have gone to the dogs tbh

Or maybe, just maybe the people who have the most popular opinion get the most attention and those in the minority are ignored?

Nope.
    You see the same people pop up again and again across the site pushing the same old tired agenda. It's like they've never had a day of joy in their lives.
    Once a thread gets past 3 or 4 pages, it just goes downhill.

Also I get the people post in AH as it has the most traffic, but it's become more a dumping ground for threads that are unwanted elsewhere, especially for political stuff.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    There's a huge middle ground between moderation and censorship.

This, this and a thousand times this. I reported a load of posts within the first couple of hours of that thread and, in fairness, a few posters were threadbanned. But when I went back in a day or so later a few people were still expressing shock at some of the posts and there was a mod warning basically saying "Ok, we get it, you're all heroes for getting offended, get over it" and honestly, it was *so* tone-deaf that I was actually left gobsmasked. Compare that to the tone of the moderation in the thread on the child who fell down the well in Spain and tell me with a straight face that there isn't an issue with misogyny in AH.

I've been told to my face by Freshpopcorn that I'm essentially imagining it but I've had PM conversations with plenty of long-time, prolific female Boardsies, none of whom are particularly strident on the topic but we all agree that there is a vicious anti-woman streak a mile wide in AH and that the mods genuinely don't notice it. You desperately need a few women on the mod team there. There is literally no balance whatsoever.

Mods are just people and as such some are of the same opinion as the posters your talking about, others will be of the same opinion as you.
    It's an unpaid position and that takes a specific type(s) of person to want to do it.

At the back of things the site is a business. If it ends up with a bad reputation such as just being a sounding board for such crap being discussed and nothing else it'll fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

anewme wrote: »
    Disagree about sex vs. Rape, she was "rode" was the word used, but agree about not going over it again.

Its just one of many examples of anti women sentiment on AH.
    I actually didn't view that thread as misogynistic. I think those posting bad taste comments would have done so on any thread about anyone.

But the thread about the French guy who said he prefers younger women - god that really brought them out (and the issue wasn't with the man fancying younger women despite the insistence that it was; the issue was with the reams and reams of insults towards women who posted on the thread). Also the thread about paternity testing and the Amazon guy's divorce. A glut of them at the same time. There is serious issue taken with one of the 6.00 news presenters on RTE also. For what, I have no idea, but apparently it makes her (totally inoffensive) looks fair game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Snowflakes everywhere.....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Weather Forum that way
    >

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Boards allows posters to ensure that they enjoy browsing the forums by providing a button that means you can put a poster on “ignore” so you don’t have to be offended by that posters opinions.
    You can also “unfollow” a thread and even a whole forum with another equally accessible button.
    You can report a post that you think is breaking the rules.
    But that’s not enough for some people, is it?

splinter65 wrote: »
    Boards allows posters to ensure that they enjoy browsing the forums by providing a button that means you can put a poster on “ignore” so you don’t have to be offended by that posters opinions.
    You can also “unfollow” a thread and even a whole forum with another equally accessible button.
    You can ignore a poster but all their quoted posts are visible.
    You can unfollow threads and forums but they're still visible when browsing.
    You should be able to hide forums and threads if they're annoying you. Boards and AH in particular is full of traveller, dole, government and Brexit threads I'd hide if I could.
    That Margaret Cash thing is still going strong.
    Personally I'd hide all the fitness update threads and sports I don't follow, maybe some of the legal stuff too for instance.

My biggest problem is the quality of discussion has become far more polarised and predicable, and its usually the same posters.
    You can have a decent thread going with some intelligent discussion, then some fool comes in with some opinion that was shown wrong on page 1 and the whole thread goes back to square one.

You also have those smart arses who are first on the scene with "religion of peace" comments and the like.

splinter65 wrote: »
    I agree when posters wind you up because of incessant drivel (and I'm not talking about just disagreeing with them) but don't think people should be able to just throw insults and ad hominems, do you? E.g. there is one poster whose m.o. is just that (particularly on the Mary Queen of Scots movie thread) and it's annoying what he appears to get away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I actually didn't view that thread as misogynistic. I think those posting bad taste comments would have done so on any thread about anyone.

But the thread about the French guy who said he prefers younger women - god that really brought them out (and the issue wasn't with the man fancying younger women despite the insistence that it was; the issue was with the reams and reams of insults towards women who posted on the thread). Also the thread about paternity testing and the Amazon guy's divorce. A glut of them at the same time. There is serious issue taken with one of the 6.00 news presenters on RTE also. For what, I have no idea, but apparently it makes her (totally inoffensive) looks fair game.

Ahh yeah, all womenn of 50 and over are past-it "harpies"

I should gave renembered that as im in that bracket, maybe I"m just getting a touch of senility. Or maybe II fiorgot as these peoples opinions are not on my radar.

But they dont mind older men, all the sympathy for the poor 65 year old man in the brothel.

They dont like negative feedback either, as is the case here.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Admin: thread cleaned up. Membership of at least 3 months is required to post on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,093 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I remember the good old days of,

"No such thing as free speech on boards."

Seems we can't say, "No, we're not having that" anymore.

Really got worse since the original admins left. They had a conscience and were pretty open about believing in a society based on tolerance.

I barely post anymore as the ganging up against posters of left leaning persuasions is really ugly to watch, and very rarely anything is done about it.

Edited to add:
    We used to have a very strong rule, no flaming, trolling etc. No Racism, sexism etc.
    Yet here we have a thread on racism with posters quite literally boasting about racist actions. I reported it, nothing got done. It's still there. How is that allowed?

Unfortunately time moves on. DeVore isn't going to sort this out like the good old days. However it's not just about the way the site is run and essential capability drain (allied to financial incentives that didn't exist 12 year's ago) in terms of administration of the site. The Internet is a more extreme place, the culture of how people interact and what they expect they're able to say has changed.

The AH charter:
    What is After Hours?
    After hours is the place to come on boards where general discussion can be light-hearted. The aim here is to have a bit of a laugh and not to piss anybody off while doing so.
    This is literally the opposite of what AH has become.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I try to avoid after hours myself if I can at this stage and I’ve been on boards for years. It’s not light hearted anymore. What I would love is to be able to hide the whole forum from the latest posts. Is this even possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I remember the good old days of,

"No such thing as free speech on boards."

Seems we can't say, "No, we're not having that" anymore.

Really got worse since the original admins left. They had a conscience and were pretty open about believing in a society based on tolerance.

I barely post anymore as the ganging up against posters of left leaning persuasions is really ugly to watch, and very rarely anything is done about it.

Edited to add:
    We used to have a very strong rule, no flaming, trolling etc. No Racism, sexism etc.
    Yet here we have a thread on racism with posters quite literally boasting about racist actions. I reported it, nothing got done. It's still there. How is that allowed?
    The most obvious manifestation of the hard push to the extreme right was the Presidential election poll, where Casey ended up with more than 50% of the vote, more than double what he got in the real world. So in broad terms, boards.ie has twice as many extreme right posters as the national average. Boards.ie is a good 44% more racist than Tipperary - Casey's best performing constituency.

It seems that the powers that be are happy for Boards to turn into gammon-central. Personally, I'm not sure it bodes well, given the ageing demographic. It's probably not a hugely attractive market for advertisers either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The AH charter:

This is literally the opposite of what AH has become.

This is exactly the problem. It's become apparent into other forums too, but then other parts of the site are brilliant, so it's very frustrating how the moderation/decisions seem to vary so wildly.

Equating agreement with what Casey said about travellers - nobody else, just travellers (that they should be held to the same standards as everyone else, which is the opposite to discrimination) - to racism (against whom?) and being extreme right is just another unreasonable position in a tapestry of them on After Hours. From various political angles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Which was the point of boards originally. A group of like minded individuals that wanted to disuss stuff.

Your posts come across as yearning for the good old days of 1998, when Boards had about ten members, all with the same interests and views.

Boards is now a business with hundreds of thousands of subscribers. Posters will inevitably disagree about issues. Short of banning everyone who doesn't fit your definition of "like-minded," there's no point in talking about the founders' original intentions more than twenty years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,923 ✭✭✭normanoffside

The most obvious manifestation of the hard push to the extreme right was the Presidential election poll, where Casey ended up with more than 50% of the vote, more than double what he got in the real world. So in broad terms, boards.ie has twice as many extreme right posters as the national average. Boards.ie is a good 44% more racist than Tipperary - Casey's best performing constituency.

It seems that the powers that be are happy for Boards to turn into gammon-central. Personally, I'm not sure it bodes well, given the ageing demographic. It's probably not a hugely attractive market for advertisers either.

Casey is an SDLP guy who sees himself as a 'best fit' for Fianna Fail.
    Your description of him as 'extreme right wing' is ridiculous.

The problem with AH which is refelected in modern society is that a lot of posters don't have a clue what being left or right wing actually means. Any view which opposes the 'liberal middle class media group think' point of view is shouted down as being extreme right wing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Casey is an SDLP guy who sees himself as a 'best fit' for Fianna Fail.
    Your description of him as 'extreme right wing' is ridiculous.

The problem with AH which is refelected in modern society is that a lot of posters don't have a clue what being left or right wing actually means. Any view which opposes the 'liberal middle class media group think' point of view is shouted down as being extreme right wing.

Some might wager that the populace of AH doesn't give a flying f*ck about wings and the majority of the grumbling in AH stems from people trying to assign a wing position to others.

Extreme right? 23 percent of voters supported Casey. I find it hard to believe that almost a quarter of the Irish population could be categorized as "extreme right."

Any view which opposes the 'liberal middle class media group think' point of view is shouted down as being extreme right wing.

Absolutely 100% true, and well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

the ganging up against posters of left leaning persuasions is really ugly to watch, and very rarely anything is done about it.
    Any view which opposes the 'liberal middle class media group think' point of view is shouted down as being extreme right wing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

AH has turned into a boring predictable place where one side fights the other constantly and everyone else is just stuck in the middle wondering wtf.

Nearly every thread starts and finishes the same way.

How many more social welfare immigration or lgbt related threads can we possibly have ffs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,923 ✭✭✭normanoffside

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A lot of people confuse left wing with Hilary Clinton style cultural NeoLiberalism.
    They equate anything which opposes neo-liberal views as being right wing.

It's Ironic because Neo Liberalism started out as a right wing ecnomic theory embraced by Thatcher and Regan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement