Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Graces7 wrote: »
    There is a grass frost

west mayo offshore

There couldn't be!

Simply a very dewy night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Hooter23 wrote: »
    You'd think August would have the best warmest weather with the heat building up all summer...no this is ireland sure...no wonder they used to call this island "Hibernia" (the land of winter):rolleyes:

Well it’s certainly not the land of winter anymore- we can barely manage actual winter weather in winter nowadays!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Thunder currently in Castlebar now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

JCX BXC wrote: »
    There couldn't be!

Simply a very dewy night.

there was! Look it up. grass was pure, frosted white very early on, bitter cold. Not the first time for you on this...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Lovely weather Dublin 2 yesterday and home ((NE Galway) reporting wouldn't put a duck out in it!!!!

Dry and sunny in Meath today.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    there was! Look it up. grass was pure, frosted white very early on, bitter cold. Not the first time for you on this...

Look what up?

And not the first time for me? What?

Temperatures simply didn't go low enough last night, not inland and certainly not at the coast!

Patchy out here but bitterly cold; have actually ordered my turf from a neighbour! Cannot ever remember even at my advanced age, thinking of lighting a fire in August … Shivers

:confused: blank message..

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Look what up?

And not the first time for me? What?

Temperatures simply didn't go low enough last night, not inland and certainly not at the coast!

It`s been dew on the grass, sparkles in the first light like frost... easily confused when you`re half awake.
    Min temp in that area last night was 11C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Met Eireann reports tomorrow morning will show the lowest temps at met stations for the early hours of 28th August. If Mount Dillon has a temp below 4C well then grass frost possible. But I don't think that happened. it's just the change of air mass after the front passed and a very heavy due i'd imagine.

I'm not being dismissive Grace but I can't for the life of me see how temps dipped that low last night. We weren't in any sort of established polar air mass.

• Advertisement

loughside wrote: »
    It`s been dew on the grass, sparkles in the first light like frost... easily confused when you`re half awake.
    Min temp in that area last night was 11C

Agreed, I've often thought it was frosty but upon checking the grass finding it was simply a dew.

Easy mistake to make

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I agree it’s at least last Thursday when we last had rain where I am in Dublin (it can all depend where you are in Dublin). I think 0.2mm constituting a rain day is utter nonsense, that could literally fall in less than 5 mins in a light shower and you could have 12 hours of sunshine outside of that. I know that’s what met Éireann count it as but that’s very misleading as a ‘rain day’.

I am amazed that no rain fell yesterday hearing the reports of torrential rain in so many locations. It just shows how localized weather can be. It’s the same when we have snow events where you could have next to no snow in one part of Dublin and 10-20km away there could be 2-3 inches of snow. Storm Emma was a classic example with places like Kildare impassable and some neighboring counties getting a fraction of that. I have even seen a 3-4 degree difference when driving from my house to west Dublin

Its why I always used to bang on about Brays Micro-climate even relative to Dublin 12 miles to our North.

"Costa Del Bray wrapped in the sheltering embrace of the Wicklow and Dublin Mountains...", Yadda yadda yadda.

In the most common South Westerly Bray would have the longest and highest mountain track shielding us/diverting cloud around us or soaking up the worst of the wet weather like a sponge before it gets to us and/or adding a degree or two to our temperatures thanks to the Foehn effect. Being right on the coast, the Maritime layer of air can often hold back/dissolve convective cloud formation over us, leaving a several mile wide strip of clear skies over the Eastern coastal fringes while convective cloud bubbles up over the rest of the country. Summer 2014 was a classic example of that. For me in Bray and much of the Eastern Coastal fringes, the Summer of 2014 was almost as good as the Summer of 2013 for heat and blue skies, whereas for the other 95% of the country it felt like a warm but perpetually cloudy Summer after noon when the convective cloud would bubble up and fill in.

This year the last week in June, all of July and the first week of August was pretty damn good with feck all rain except the odd 5 minute convective shower passing over, broken cloud with plenty of blue skies and temps averaging 20-22ºc IIRC. Those couple of 'rain days' a couple of weeks ago really were a shock to the system or a reminder of how good we've actually had it this Summer because it reminded me that it had been several months since I'd seen enough rain for a long enough duration to see water flowing past us along the kerb or seen that big puddle that usually forms at the corner of the nearby road junction.

So, I'd have to be one of those giving Summer 2019 a 7/10. Didn't utter my infamous catchphrase, Costa Del Bray or Playa Del Arklow once this Summer though because I could see early on how Tetchy those West of the Wicklow Mountains all the way to the west coast were getting and I didn't want to rub them the wrong way. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Anyway I'm glad our attempt at summer is over, the constant disappointment gets me down. I remember having some lovely Autumn days with plenty of sun and no wind, I never have any expectations so tend to enjoy it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Some rainfall stats for this summer so far (up to yesterday) from all of the reporting Met Eireann stations. Table ordered by highest to lowest in terms of 'percentage of dry days' relative to the stated duration. The numbers represent the number of days with stated totals or more.

N3SVKTO.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Some rainfall stats for this summer so far (up to yesterday) from all of the reporting Met Eireann stations. Table ordered by highest to lowest in terms of 'percentage of dry days' relative to the stated duration. The numbers represent the number of days with stated totals or more.

N3SVKTO.png

Crikey, belmullet not the place to be this summer!!!

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

N3SVKTO.png

Only 8 days with over 5mm of rain at Phoenix park, that is impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I agree it’s at least last Thursday when we last had rain where I am in Dublin (it can all depend where you are in Dublin). I think 0.2mm constituting a rain day is utter nonsense, that could literally fall in less than 5 mins in a light shower and you could have 12 hours of sunshine outside of that. I know that’s what met Éireann count it as but that’s very misleading as a ‘rain day’.

I am amazed that no rain fell yesterday hearing the reports of torrential rain in so many locations. It just shows how localized weather can be. It’s the same when we have snow events where you could have next to no snow in one part of Dublin and 10-20km away there could be 2-3 inches of snow. Storm Emma was a classic example with places like Kildare impassable and some neighboring counties getting a fraction of that. I have even seen a 3-4 degree difference when driving from my house to west Dublin

Yes I saw only a few drops of rain yesterday, was expecting a wet evening. Even today is decent enough, it was cloudy and felt quite raw in the breeze earlier even though it wasn't all that cool but now it's nice. I think I'll bump my August rating up to 6/10 after a good last few days.

Crikey, belmullet not the place to be this summer!!!

It is actually the driest of the 4 Mayo stations if you go by total rainfall amounts for the summer months.

Nice day in West Clare, sunny and dry so far, not particularly warm but not cool either.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Carol25

Xenji wrote: »
    It is actually the driest of the 4 Mayo stations if you go by total rainfall amounts for the summer months.

Does mist, or trace count as a wet day?
    In that case I can imagine belmullet got a lot of sea mist but with no real rainfall amounts in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭pauldry

Athenry has 228mm of rain for August

Look out 1985

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Much better day in the west. Bright and warm with the odd shower.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another nice, dry, mostly sunny and mild day, maybe a little on the fresh side. Temperature down several degrees from the past week, currently 18C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Gorgeous day once again,down here in Arklow too, touching 20c
    Currently looks like much of the most heavy or persistent of fridays rain will take the usual route up through west munster all of connaught and unfortunately Donegal again
    It looks a lot lighter in the eastern fringe south of Dublin

Carol25 wrote: »
    Does mist, or trace count as a wet day?
    In that case I can imagine belmullet got a lot of sea mist but with no real rainfall amounts in it.

I am not sure to be honest, I know the station is further inland now since they moved it away from the lighthouse in Blacksod.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It's mostly sunny here in Glasnevin and I've just recorded 20C again. It's been over a week since the high temperature's been below 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Hooter23 wrote: »
    You'd think August would have the best warmest weather with the heat building up all summer...no this is ireland sure...no wonder they used to call this island "Hibernia" (the land of winter):rolleyes:
    You'd think February would have the coldest weather with the cold building up all winter .... like you say this is Ireland and lets face it, seasons appear to be a thing of the past.
    There hasn't been a cold January spell since 2010 and a cold February spell since 2009 which are disturbing facts. There hasn't been a good August for 16 years!
    When you think of years gone by when 1947 and 1955 for example both had freezing snowy Februarys followed by a scorching August.
    Actually 1956 was also a very cold and snowy February - two in a row and we can't even get one in our current winters!

Xenji wrote: »

That really speaks volumes for the quality of the summer in mayo this year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭pauldry

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Station|Rainfall total (mm)|Year
    Ballyshannon (Cathleen's Fall)|202.4|Aug 1985
    Belmullet|235.3|Aug 1992
    Claremorris|258.6|Aug 1985
    Finner Camp|163.7|Aug 2017
    Knock Airport|182.6|Aug 2009
    Malin Head|180.8|Aug 1985
    Markree Castle|230.9|Aug 1985
    Newport|259.8|Aug 1985

Data from Met reann.

Athenry up to 248.9mm

Wettest August on Record coming?

• Advertisement

pauldry wrote: »
    Athenry up to 248.9mm

Wettest August on Record coming?

By the end of Friday I say it will have broken it.

Advertisement