Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A poor day in Castlebar wet and windy with a few short lived bright spells, a max gust of 72 km/hr so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Not too bad a day here. It's mostly sunny and a bit breezy. There was a shower a couple of hours ago depositing 0.2mm. It's currently 19.6C, which is the day's high so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

3 quick heavy showers here since lunch time, is a grand day otherwise

A grand day maybe in April early May. But this is supposed to be summer. I type this with the wind howling snd the rain pelting down. Showery all afternoon here. Summer my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Xenji wrote: »
    A poor day in Castlebar wet and windy with a few short lived bright spells, a max gust of 72 km/hr so far.

Miserable. Very gusty. Tomorrow worse

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

A grand day maybe in April early May. But this is supposed to be summer. I type this with the wind howling snd the rain pelting down. Showery all afternoon here. Summer my arse.

Ah personally, i think its only as bad or as good as we make it out to be, its been dry and sunny here apart from the 3 showers, they're fairly fast moving in the strong breeze, which is actually quite mild to, its been a good day overall here, but elsewhere probably not so much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Ah personally, i think its only as bad or as good as we make it out to be, its been dry and sunny here apart from the 3 showers, they're fairly fast moving in the strong breeze, which is actually quite mild to, its been a good day overall here, but elsewhere probably not so much

Yes exactly , you take it as it comes and enjoy the sunny bits

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

managed to escape all showers so far, a dry and sunny day here which is not what I was expecting today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Gonzo wrote: »
    managed to escape all showers so far, a dry and sunny day here which is not what I was expecting today.
    A very pleasant surprise today, I was expecting a lot worse but it turned out to be probably the best day of the month so far even if the max temp was a modest 19.5c. - a good drying wind too that is helping the mouldy flowers in the garden to make a recovery.
    Tomorrow will be different and is not looking good for Croke Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Dodged most of the showers around mid Laois today, my location at least.

I love mid to late August, as the change in season approaches and the evenings gradually draw in from 9pm to 8.20pm or so by 31st. Yet we often get a nice week of temperatures in the mid 20s late August/early September.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Dodged most of the showers around mid Laois today, my location at least.

I love mid to late August, as the change in season approaches and the evenings gradually draw in from 9pm to 8.20pm or so by 31st. Yet we often get a nice week of temperatures in the mid 20s late August/early September.

We do indeed as an arm of the great Azores high breaks off, moves over us en route to set up the great Siberian high of Winter. I often remember marking September 1st in the diary as when the first morning fog of the season is observed owing to the later sunrise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭acequion

Yerra bollox!! It's shyte. Irish weather is pretty much shyte all the time,especially in the west. It's amusing to read the denial by some posters. Am in Spain at mo in very high temperatures and loving every minute, but back next week to reality.

And by all accounts, reality is pretty grim. My beautiful flowers have badly fallen foul of the August wind and rain I'm told. But dare anyone complain! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

acequion wrote: »
    Yerra bollox!! It's shyte. Irish weather is pretty much shyte all the time,especially in the west. It's amusing to read the denial by some posters. Am in Spain at mo in very high temperatures and loving every minute, but back next week to reality.

And by all accounts, reality is pretty grim. My beautiful flowers have badly fallen foul of the August wind and rain I'm told. But dare anyone complain! :rolleyes:

nothing to complain about. grim? Only if you have unrealistic expectations! Nothing grim; just normal for Ireland. nesh you are! Now if you were in India, flooded out etc, complain away.. or snow in parts of Canada.. But this is fine; and out here wild and wet again all night. West Mayo offshore..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Sunshine hours from Saturday the 16th of August

12.0 Casement
    11.6 Johnstown Castle
    10.0 Cork Airport
    9.4 Dublin Airport
    9.3 Shannon Airport
    8.2 Knock Airport
    8.0 Malin Head
    7.9 Gurteen
    7.3 Valentia
    7.0 Belmullet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Not shyte here in East Wicklow
    Its been 7 years since its been shyte here
    This summer has been mostly pleasant and often warm here
    But then my late mother who moved here from the Whesth 60 years ago always said she couldnt get over how dry it was here compared to Home
    She also said she also saw a lot more snow up here when it snowed and that it lasted longer and more thunder over her lifetime here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭OldRio

Very heavy rain from about 6.00am. Roads flooded locally. Water flowing down the drive.

Unfortunately my flowers have been hammered with the wind and rain this last few weeks.
    I don't expect Wall to wall sunshine. I don't expect the floods of India or snows of Canada, as some poster mentioned. I do expect rather decent weather in August. But alas no.
    Disappointing indeed but not unexpected.

Posting at 3am, good night had ya ;), Delighted your'e getting the weather you like, you can complain all you like (but your'e only annoying yourself), if the weather in your area is bad, which im sure it has been, but in my area of meath, it has not been that bad, yeah its been wetter then last year, but its ireland, nothing we can do about it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Dull and wet in Castlebar again today, nearly 20mm of rain since midnight and that makes it 11 Augusts in a row with 100mm of rain or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭appledrop

Wtf is this weather. Like a winter's day! We are in the park+ wind would literally cut you in two.its unbelievable. At least we are dressed ok but some people out in shorts+ freezing. Currently having a break in car from rain. It's a joke for August.

Yesterday was nice but yet again so windy.

Wtf is this weather. Like a winter's day! We are in the park+ wind would literally cut you in two.its unbelievable. At least we are dressed ok but some people out in shorts+ freezing. Currently having a break in car from rain. It's a joke for August.

Yesterday was nice but yet again so windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

looks like its gonna be one of those...four seasons in one day type of days....lashing rain five minutes ago, now the sun is splitting the rocks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Was weather watching - hoping for one last camping trip. Looks like it will be nice just in time for the kids to be back in school. Typical.

Left home and it was sunny, got to the home place in seneschalstown and its bucketing down, water flowing down the lane, flood in the field, amazing the difference in 10km's

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

lovely day so far here in Meath, sunny and mild. Hopefully we can avoid the showers again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It's a mostly sunny, partly cloudy, a bit breezy, dry day here in Glasnevin. The temperature is a bit low for August but otherwise it's a very pleasant day. It's 16.3C which so far is the high for the day. There's been no rain recorded so far today.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I was watching a Simon Reeve documentary about Russia .He travelled through Siberia and met with people in a town high north in Siberia .They live on a layer of thermofrost and it gets mighty cold .The thing is they know they dont live in Spain , they dont expect weather like Spain but the don their furs and go out playing ice hockey . Excepting we are not in Spain is the key .,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Wettest two and a half weeks I can remember, Galway

Finally sun came out so warned up the park. The wind is still unreal though. Don't know how anyone can say it's only a bit windy in Dublin. Trust me if out in open area you would know all about it. It feels like a winter gale force here in North County Dublin. Must becoming in from the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭acequion

Posting at 3am, good night had ya ;), Delighted your'e getting the weather you like, you can complain all you like (but your'e only annoying yourself), if the weather in your area is bad, which im sure it has been, but in my area of meath, it has not been that bad, yeah its been wetter then last year, but its ireland, nothing we can do about it

Posting at 3am is what you do when you're on hols and it's still too hot to go to bed.:pac:

Say what you will, there is no denying that Ireland has poor summers especially in the west. And while we know that Ireland isn't Spain it's still annoying to have weeks of wind and rain between May and September. June was horrible. Fact. August, in the west, hasn't been much better. Also fact. And my patio flowers have gotten very water logged and many are destroyed beyond redemption [and they were bloody expensive :eek:] And that's also a fact and I'll get to survey the damage when home on Tuesday.In a tolerably decent summer that would not happen.

So dress it up whatever way ye like. Ireland has a shyte climate. Sorry!

rain shower here now, thought we were going to escape with a completely dry weekend but sadly our luck has run out.

• Advertisement

July was a nice summer month in Dublin but June was a disaster + August also a write off. I can't even imagine how I would feel if I lived in the west. Their rainfall total for August is off the scale there. In the west it has been a woeful summer.

July saves it from being a bad summer overall but I totally get when posters get pissed off about our summer. The whole thing about us not living in Spain + not to expect that weather is nonesense. No one is expecting it to be 30 degrees heat for 3 mths. However is it too much to ask for less rainfall + a bit more sunshine! I was off work this week + there was torrential rain everyday for 5 days in a row. Yes I still managed to plan around it but it's still crap for summer.

Thankfully we were away for some sun but if that was my holiday I'd be cracking up.

I go to our local park all through the year + I have had nicer spring + winter mornings then the weather we had there this morning.

Advertisement