Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,135 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Howdy!
    My next door neighbour was told the other day that Yew wood fetches quite a good price and he just so happens to have a couple on his land. Would anyone like to put forward an average price of the wood itself? He's interested to see how much and might think of selling them to someone interested in making something

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he won't get much. the value might be in dimensioned dried timber, but standing trees not so much.
    would also depend on the size of the trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Can across these guys today
    Arthur P Dinan Limited

Railway Rd, Stradavoher, Thurles, Co. Tipperary
    (0504) 21100

Do a wide range of timbers, hard/soft/machined/plane/graded to G25/etc

Nice bunch of lads as well.

They also pressure treat to order

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 blueballooncat

Looking to get a 420 x 297 x 12 mm sheet of hardwood of any kind or (2) 210 x 297 x 12 mm sheets for a project, are these measurements just too specific or is there anywhere that I might be able to get one?
    I'm living near Clonmel so anywhere near there would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Looking to get a 420 x 297 x 12 mm sheet of hardwood of any kind or (2) 210 x 297 x 12 mm sheets for a project, are these measurements just too specific or is there anywhere that I might be able to get one?
    I'm living near Clonmel so anywhere near there would be ideal.

A3 and A4 sized? That's quite wide - does it have to be hardwood?

They're not too specific but I think the 12mm might be hard to get and you might find it expensive if you want these to be a single board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 rgbnb

Hi,

Does anyone know of some hardwood suppliers near Galway City? Just a hobbyist woodworker so not looking for large quantities. Mainly interested in oak/mahogany/walnut/maple planks but would like to work on some live edge projects in the future. Any help/suggestions appreciated thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

rgbnb wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know of some hardwood suppliers near Galway City? Just a hobbyist woodworker so not looking for large quantities. Mainly interested in oak/mahogany/walnut/maple planks but would like to work on some live edge projects in the future. Any help/suggestions appreciated thanks.

I remember COENS had a place in Galway at one time that was an excellent source of all timbers. But dont know if they are still there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rgbnb

kadman wrote: »
    I remember COENS had a place in Galway at one time that was an excellent source of all timbers. But dont know if they are still there at all.

Thanks for the reply. All I can find is Coen steel in Galway, an article in the Independent suggested they moved away from building materials in general to just steel. Will look a bit more into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

rgbnb wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. All I can find is Coen steel in Galway, an article in the Independent suggested they moved away from building materials in general to just steel. Will look a bit more into it.

I think there's a place out in Oranmore that does hardwoods. I get my Ash, Beech and Elm off a guy in Corrofinn who has his own sawmill setup at his house.

Edit:

You could try Mc Mahons and I think Brooks have a hardware there, they might carry hardwoods. I got my Cherry and Walnut from Brooks in Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Hi all,
    Living in West limerick/Kerry border. Looking to get into woodwork and need timber. Mostly softwood like pine and maybe a little hardwood such as walnut. Anyone know and good quality and good value suppliers down and around there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Living in West limerick/Kerry border. Looking to get into woodwork and need timber. Mostly softwood like pine and maybe a little hardwood such as walnut. Anyone know and good quality and good value suppliers down and around there?

JP Corry in Cahir Co Tipp had a fantastic stock of hardwoods and softwoods but its been a few years since I was there.
    The main problem is delivery unless you have the means of transporting it yourself. My next car will be a pickup truck :D

will be cutting down an apple tree and someone suggested that the timber might suit some for wood turning.
    Two questions:
    1: what's the minimum girth: ie circumference. that would be suitable.
    2: what's the optimum length for allowing it season, I gather wood turners prefer to season their own before cutting into blanks so, subject to weight issues, what is a good length.
    It will be a while before I get it felled, just planning.
    Its ex Nenagh, Co Tipp, current home of Liam McCarthy.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

mayo.mick wrote: »
    I got my Cherry and Walnut from Brooks in Sligo.

Hi Mick. Do that Brooks store carry these hardwoods in lengths pre-cut? I was on their website and didn't see any hardwood lumber advertised..

Been looking for a supplier I can rely on for these particular species so this would be great news! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Hi Mick. Do that Brooks store carry these hardwoods in lengths pre-cut? I was on their website and didn't see any hardwood lumber advertised..

Been looking for a supplier I can rely on for these particular species so this would be great news! :D

You need to call into them. They have no actual inventory of the wood they have. You need to go down to the end of the warehouse and the lad on the forklift will take the bundles down of the rack. They are all different lengths and widts and thickness. Pick out your planks and they'll measure up what you have and work out how much it is. They lads told me if I was looking for something in particular they didn't have, they'd give there other stores a shout and if they'd have it, would send it down on the next load. Very helpful so they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

Thanks for the info Mick. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Hi
    I'm about to start cutting my best ash trees for hurleys; disease free at moment but have decided the bird in hand is better option with disease all around me.

Do perfectly straight ash trees( circa 11-13m in height) with dbh at 1.3m of 30cm have any value/use for making furniture etc?

Do you plank fresh if so or dry lengths and then plank?

Thanks for help

I'm afraid ash in the round is just firewood until you plank it and let it dry. Even then I'd imagine the demand would be limited as it has no tradition of being used in fine furniture.
    However it is a delight to work and ideal for sugan chairs and rustic furniture. You might find a market for it in your local area, ?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭limerick_woody

Hi guys,
    I'm looking to build a garden gate - looking for advice on species and where to source it. I'm in the Limerick area. McMahons seems to have made things harder for the smaller guy - there doesn't seem to be a way to select good pieces - are there alternatives?

-thanks

Consider Accoya

Consider Accoya

I've never heard of it - is it expensive?

• Advertisement

Hi guys,
    I'm looking to build a garden gate - looking for advice on species and where to source it. I'm in the Limerick area. McMahons seems to have made things harder for the smaller guy - there doesn't seem to be a way to select good pieces - are there alternatives?

-thanks

Have you tried Chadwicks in Limerick ? They usually stock a basic supply of Iroko which is ideal for outdoor furniture.

recipio wrote: »
    Have you tried Chadwicks in Limerick ? They usually stock a basic supply of Iroko which is ideal for outdoor furniture.
    Do you know if they have loose planks that i can sort through and select?

Do you know if they have loose planks that i can sort through and select?

Yes, although I use another branch they are good about letting you pull out planks. If you have transport then JP Corry in Cahir are great but its been a few years since i was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I'm thinking of taking on the challenge of making my own snooker cue. Where would people recommend to get good quality ash, would need to have a straight grain to be able to be used. Also some Ebony and rosewood for the splices on the butt.

etxp wrote: »
    I'm thinking of taking on the challenge of making my own snooker cue. Where would people recommend to get good quality ash, would need to have a straight grain to be able to be used. Also some Ebony and rosewood for the splices on the butt.

Have you tried the Carpentry store in Naas.? They are virtually the only shop selling exotic blanks in the ROI as far as I know. Otherwise its online shopping - at least the blanks don't cost much to post.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Thinking about ash, it still breaks my heart to see ash not considered suitable for quality furniture - the only reason for this is historic because it used to be so common that it was effectively free, so it got used for all cheapest of the cheap furniture, which of course was considered as junk and disposable by default and got trashed as a result.

I highly recommend this book for any of you who haven't read it, apart from being just a great read (or listen if you prefer the audio book), it talks about the history of ash, its uses and goes into detail on the writer's own mission to fell a large ash tree and use every single bit of it to make things:

The Man Who Made Things Out of Trees - Robert Penn

https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/213/213092/the-man-who-made-things-out-of-trees/9780141977515.html

https://play.google.com/store/audiobooks/details?id=AQAAAAB8tSm1RM

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭bamayang

Have read that book, very enjoyable. Industrious man.

Making a garage door this summer, could anyone recommend somewhere around KIlkenny or portlaoise direction that would do T&G panelling in cedar or something similarly suited?

• Administrators Posts: 53,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Anyone know the best place to order timber online for delivery in the Wicklow area? Or at least that delivers to the north Wicklow area?

Be looking for some sheets of MDF and ply for internal stuff and then some treated timber for some outdoor applications (garden bench, raised planters).

Google throws up Goodwins but i think we're outside their 20km delivery range.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

awec wrote: »
    Anyone know the best place to order timber online for delivery in the Wicklow area? Or at least that delivers to the north Wicklow area?

Be looking for some sheets of MDF and ply for internal stuff and then some treated timber for some outdoor applications (garden bench, raised planters).

Chadwicks on the boghall rd, Bray, would probably be best for that kind of stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭ Alisha Spicy Colon

recipio wrote: »

Chadwicks in Limerick closed in 2012!

Advertisement