Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The GOAT?

• 18-02-2021 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭

It seems that every conversation lately devolves to this GOAT stuff.

So maybe it's best to have a thread on the topic so we can gather all our GOAT thoughts here. Who do you think is the GOAT and why?

Jon Jones:
    The youngest UFC Champion ever, he's realistically unbeaten (the only loss on his record being a DQ in a fight he was dominating). His record speaks for itself. 15 wins in title fights and has beaten the absolute who's who. Former champs in Rua, Machida, Rampage, Rashad, Vitor, two-weight champs in Sonnen & DC.

He cleared out two different generations of the 205 division as well. Won the belt in 2011 and held the same belt in 2020.

Cons: Loads of failed drug tests and generally being a bad human being.

GSP:

What a career. The days watching him come up through the ranks to challenge but fall short against the great Matt Hughes were amazing. He got himself back there and completely overtook Hughes to become the greatest WW in the history of the sport. Not as many wins over Champs like Jones (Hughes & Penn the only former WW champs he beat), but only because he was so dominant in his time, having taken over form a dominant champ in Hughes.

Jon Fitch, Jake Shields, Carlos Condit, Thiago Alves all could have been champ had GSP not held the belt. Hendricks went on to win the belt after their epic.

He then came out of retirement to win the UFC MW belt, 11 years after winning his first UFC title.

Cons: A glaring one in his KO loss to Matt Serra. After this loss he stopped taking risks and won almost every subsequent fight via decision. Also, his Hendricks win was seen in many eyes to have been a robbery.

Anderson Silva:

Smashed Leben so badly in his debut that they gave him an immediate crack at the title. He then smashed Rich Franklin's nose so badly that every MW in the world simultaneously sh*t their jocks.

He then reigned as Champion for what felt like 17 years. And not only that, he was finishing almost everyone who stood in front of him. Hendo, Marquart, Lutter, Sonnen, Vitor....... his finish of Griffin at 205 was incredible.

Cons: Never recovered form his KO against Weidman. very ropey tail-end to his career. Also, failed a drug test after his Championship reign.

Fedor: The legend himself. Despite not being the biggest HW, being kinda pudgey and looking like the weird mate of your even weirder uncle, he spent most of the 00's beating everyone who was put in front of him. Pride had most of the best HWs in the world at the time, and Fedor was the daddy of them all.

Big Nog, Arona, Coleman, Randleman, Cro Cop, Mark Hunt....... all on mandatory steroids, all smashed by the great Fedor.

Cons: He never tested himself in the UFC. Also, it was Pride so who knows?

Khabib: Unbeaten in his career, and with very few close shaves, Khabib has to be in the conversation. He retired without a loss and finished (?) his career with emphatic wins over the very best in the world. In fact, his last three victories were probably his best.

Cons: Some would say his body of work doesn't stand up to the others on the list.

(Honourable mentions: DC, Aldo, Randy, Mighty Mouse, Nunes, Junie Browning)

Who is the Greatest MMA fighter of All Time? 71 votes

Jon Jones
    67% 48 votes
    GSP
    14% 10 votes
    Anderson Silva
    11% 8 votes
    Fedor
    0% 0 votes
    Khabib
    0% 0 votes
    Other
    7% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I've probably contradicted myself countless times on this but right now Jonny Bones is the easy pick for me. I don't care about athletes failing tests anymore, it's all part of the game of top end sport, I care more about his constant fouling with eye pokes but the refs need to just start taking points after every eye poke, accidental or not, it would disappear quickly if they did. He's a dickhead but I don't look to sports stars for a moral compass, they live in a very different world to the rest of us. Great record, he's 15-0 in title fights over the last decade. Pretty sure you could wake him from a coke and booze bender, throw some gloves on him and he'll beat the top contender at LHW.

Miss a year - you're not getting the belt off him
    Go on a bender before fights - you're not getting the belt off him
    Personal life in turmoil - you're not getting the belt off him
    Move up to Heavyweight - he's taking your belt

All the rest I have no issue if someone sees them as the goat, splitting hairs really.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

These are the fighters I'd shortlist too. And agree with your pros/cons generally.
    If you hold Matt Serra against GSP you have to hold Werdum and Henderson agaisnt Fedor.
    Drugs is a flag over Silva and Jones.
    Fedor fought a lot of cans. But he beat the best. Khab fought cans too, but he beat the best.

Comes down to Khabib and GSP for me. Purely on championship level success in the UFC. I give it to GSP.
    But the bar is not unsurmountable for Khabib, Jones, just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Chuck Liddell :D:D:D:D

i couldn't vote for Fedor, Silva or Jones because of the failed drug tests and fighting cans, couldn't go for GSP as he was just so boring in the end, never took any risks, and he's canadian

Only leaves Khabib

Fedor fought as many cans, and failed as many drug tests as Khabib.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Fedor fought as many cans, and failed as many drug tests as Khabib.

i should have said ..only leaves khabib from that list

i'm old school though, i just gotta go with my man Chuck, tarnished off course by not knowing when to end it but damn, that was a fcukin great era for mma,

Please don't anyone try to talk me out of Chuck being the GOAT, I don't care if you provide me with irrefutable proof that he's not.....HE IS :D:D

I meant that if Fedor's cans eliminate him, then shouldn't Khabib's also?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

Ken Shamrock as a differential. The man was an absolute icon. Maybe GSP genuine sportsman. Kimbo slice on his route to the top tier.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,489 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

No mention of Bas? For shame!

It's a nice concise list of nominations there with some fair pros and cons. Just to add my 2c

Jones and drugs: He seemed flakey at times in the latter point in his LHW career against the likes of OSP, Reyes and Santos when he was under more scrutiny than ever. This adds to the failed drug tests blemish as it could suggest he was more reliant on substances than before.

GSP became a smarter fighter after the Serra loss; not necessarily more boring. His fight IQ, combined with his well-roundedness made him a nightmare opponent. He faltered against Hendricks. Detractors would say he ran, but I say he did the smart thing by taking time off as being on top for so long was more pressure than he could handle.

Nothing to add about Fedor. Just wish he fought in the american promotions a few years sooner than he did as it would be easier to establish an opinion of his GOAT status.

Khabib would be GOAT if he had just a few more fights before retiring. I'd consider him to be the most dominant going by sheer number of rounds won/lost.

I'd throw Nunes into the mix. WMMA doesn't have quite the same competition pool but her resume speaks for itself. Gassed against Zingano and learned from it. Gassed against the smaller Shevchenko and scraped past her only to readjust and win their rematch comfortably. Smashed Rousey. Went up in weight and out-cyborged Cyborg. Nobody has come close to her in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

scudzilla wrote: »
    Chuck Liddell :D:D:D:D

The old-schooler in me really hated leaving Chuck off there. What a fighter!

• Advertisement

IrishLad90 wrote: »
    Ken Shamrock as a differential. The man was an absolute icon. Maybe GSP genuine sportsman. Kimbo slice on his route to the top tier.

If you haven't read his recent autobiography with Jonathan Snowden I highly recommend it. It's an immense read!

Mellor wrote: »
    If you hold Matt Serra against GSP you have to hold Werdum and Henderson agaisnt Fedor.

On this, the reason I didn't is because while Fedor's loss v Werdum was the beginning of his decline, GSP's loss to Matt Serra was at the beginning of his sheer dominance over the division. I saw them as two completely separate situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Jon Jones is the GOAT* without question. If questionable tests disqualify you, I'm not sure from the rest.
    I don't like the guy, I think he's super obnoxious, but if Adesanya's career continues how it's going I think he'll be the GOAT. I think a win over Jan puts him ahead of Khabib.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Georges St. Pierre

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Dermobrickie

I have to vote Jones, mainly because he out wrestled DC who I would have as goat status if he beat Jones.
    I think his mix of win types is in matched.
    Can't wait to see him at heavyweight.

Or Chuck can't forget him in the goat conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭hawaii501

derfderf wrote: »
    Jon Jones is the GOAT* without question. If questionable tests disqualify you, I'm not sure from the rest.
    I don't like the guy, I think he's super obnoxious, but if Adesanya's career continues how it's going I think he'll be the GOAT. I think a win over Jan puts him ahead of Khabib.

I agree with both points on this. Adesanya has cleaned out the MW division with ease after one tough fight against Gastelum.

If he beats Jan, he's automatically ahead of Khabib for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

hawaii501 wrote: »
    I agree with both points on this. Adesanya has cleaned out the MW division with ease after one tough fight against Gastelum.

If he beats Jan, he's automatically ahead of Khabib for me!

Khabib only really had one tough fight against Tibau, and a lot think he lost that.
    As great of a fight as it was, nobody thinks Kelvin won.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭xtal191

derfderf wrote: »

I've a funny feeling Jan is gonna KO Adesanya

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Bas Rutten is definitely up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

GSP for me at the moment
    But not sure how anyone can argue against Jones if he becomes a two weight champion ,
    The jump form 205 to heavy weight is so big it'll show just how dame good of a fighter he is ,

The only reason he is not top now is the Steroids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

I wonder why Jon Jones gets away with being a drug cheat. I can't imagine in any other sport someone who has consistently been caught cheating still being considered as the sports greatest. The fact he can still compete is a joke. Lance Armstrong didn't get away with it and he had the excuse of having cancer Jones is just a horrible human.

Zookey123 wrote: »
    I wonder why Jon Jones gets away with being a drug cheat. I can't imagine in any other sport someone who has consistently been caught cheating still being considered as the sports greatest. The fact he can still compete is a joke. Lance Armstrong didn't get away with it and he had the excuse of having cancer Jones is just a horrible human.

Armstrong was caught retrospectively after he retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Armstrong was caught retrospectively after he retired.

Point being he was ostracized by the cycling community, lost most of his medals and I highly doubt would feature in the cycling GOAT debate. Plenty of UFC fighters have achieved great careers without cheating. IMO GSP is the best. Dominated that welterweight division for years, took some time off and finished MB (another one of my fav fighters) to become MW champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

GSP all day an icon and some one to aspire to be like!
    A complete sportsman!
    Bone Jones is a cheating scumbag and lucky to not be in jail!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Honestly i dont think you can legitimately say "Jon Jones is the greatest of all time" and somehow ignore all his doping fails. He was stripped of the title what, three times?? He had an entire event that had to be moved to a different state on one or two days notice just to get around doping laws so he could fight. And the "pulsing". Weve seen him on stage crying his little eyes out cause he was sooooo sad he got caught.. its not like he was caught once and there was a chance it was a false positive or something, hes been caught repeatedly, through his entire career. He his underneath the octagon from USADA all the way back in 2015!! Hes a serial cheat and while hes an amazing fighter i just dont think you can definitively say hes the GOAT while theres also a mountain of evidence that he juiced for the majority of his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Jones and Silva are ruled out for me due to failed drug tests.
    Fedor, while a beast, was revered in Pride like a god, so some of that could be questionable as well.

GSP would be my pick, with Khabib a runner up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Honestly i dont think you can legitimately say "Jon Jones is the greatest of all time" and somehow ignore all his doping fails. He was stripped of the title what, three times?? He had an entire event that had to be moved to a different state on one or two days notice just to get around doping laws so he could fight. And the "pulsing". Weve seen him on stage crying his little eyes out cause he was sooooo sad he got caught.. its not like he was caught once and there was a chance it was a false positive or something, hes been caught repeatedly, through his entire career. He his underneath the octagon from USADA all the way back in 2015!! Hes a serial cheat and while hes an amazing fighter i just dont think you can definitively say hes the GOAT while theres also a mountain of evidence that he juiced for the majority of his career.

I completely respect that stance, but for me it's a red herring. Jones didn't even train consistently throughout his career, and while I don't doubt he's taken a heap of drugs over the years, I'd say the vast majority of them were far from performance enhancing! I wouldn't say there's a mountain of evidence that he was juiced for the majority of his career either, though the failed tests are still a big blot against his name obviously. For me the main question mark around him is how much greater his legacy should be than it currently is.

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    I completely respect that stance, but for me it's a red herring. Jones didn't even train consistently throughout his career, and while I don't doubt he's taken a heap of drugs over the years, I'd say the vast majority of them were far from performance enhancing! I wouldn't say there's a mountain of evidence that he was juiced for the majority of his career either, though the failed tests are still a big blot against his name obviously. For me the main question mark around him is how much greater his legacy should be than it currently is.

So you believe Jon was willing to risk everything for party drugs & dick pills but not on drugs to give himself an edge ……..nah man I don't buy that,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

So you believe Jon was willing to risk everything for party drugs & dick pills but not on drugs to give himself an edge ……..nah man I don't buy that,

I think he may have been willing to use PEDs for sure. But if he was intentionally doping, I just don't see how a lad who skipped training for months and was drinking and doing Coke in the weeks immediately leading up to his biggest fights would have been using them in a way to actually reap the benefits in a meaningful way.

From a moral or principled point of view you could say it doesn't matter and that a cheat is a cheat, but I'm just looking at who I think was the greatest fighter of all time, and I'm doubtful that any drugs cheating he engaged in would have been difference maker for him in that debate, given the big handicaps he placed on his own performances from his recreational activities.

• Advertisement

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    I think he may have been willing to use PEDs for sure. But if he was intentionally doping, I just don't see how a lad who skipped training for months and was drinking and doing Coke in the weeks immediately leading up to his biggest fights would have been using them in a way to actually reap the benefits in a meaningful way.

From a moral or principled point of view you could say it doesn't matter and that a cheat is a cheat, but I'm just looking at who I think was the greatest fighter of all time, and I'm doubtful that any drugs cheating he engaged in would have been difference maker for him in that debate, given the big handicaps he placed on his own performances from his recreational activities.

Your not making much sense

You just said missed months of training at a time so when its time for fight camp he could take Ped's to train harder for longer and recover better ,

He could also take things like EPO to help with Cardio considering as you say he misses months of training ,

In his defence your making him sound more guilty

Advertisement