Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC 257 Poirier vs McGregor 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

McGregor by Sub
    The timing is kind of all over the place. Main event saturday is the standard time, with main fight set to start around midnight EST (5am Ireland/ 9am Abu Dhabi)).
    Tomorrow's card starts at noon EST (5pm Ireland/ 9pm Abu Dhabi). Maybe Dana thought he'd throw the locals the midweek event at a decent time for them.
    The max fight would have ended at about 2am over there last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,549 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Poirier by Sub
    First fight i was all up for Conor, now i hope Dustin detroys him, but that aint gonna happen, one can only dream

McGregor by Sub
    How big is the viewership going to be for this?
    The Countdown video went up on youtube a couple days ago and has 3M views right now. Could be a massive number.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor on Pts
    How big is the viewership going to be for this?
    The Countdown video went up on youtube a couple days ago and has 3M views right now. Could be a massive number.

Over 1million. But a some way short of 2million
    I'd estimate about 1.4-1.5m

• Advertisement

McGregor by Sub
    Mellor wrote: »
    Over 1million. But a some way short of 2million
    I'd estimate about 1.4-1.5m

Is that less than cowboy fight? Think it will do more than that one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Dustin impressed me against Hooker. Hooker has a huge gas tank, the gym he trains at with Adesanya is full on. Conor doesn't have that gas tank, Dustin's Ju Jitsu is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

McGregor by Sub

That did 1.35M

It’s funny. UFC don’t release the buy rate, so what we usually see is estimates. I think the cowboy fight was at 1.1M initially, because I remember it was less than Usman vs Masvidal, which is 1.3M. But McGregor posted a screenshot of some document stating 1.35M. I do wonder what the real number was for Usman/Masvidal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

McGregor by Sub
    cloudatlas wrote: »
    Dustin impressed me against Hooker. Hooker has a huge gas tank, the gym he trains at with Adesanya is full on. Conor doesn't have that gas tank, Dustin's Ju Jitsu is better.

Hooker gassed against poirier and Felder.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor on Pts

Slightly more.
    H8GHOTI wrote: »
    That did 1.35M
    It’s funny. UFC don’t release the buy rate, so what we usually see is estimates. I think the cowboy fight was at 1.1M initially, because I remember it was less than Usman vs Masvidal, which is 1.3M. But McGregor posted a screenshot of some document stating 1.35M. I do wonder what the real number was for Usman/Masvidal.

The cowboy fight initial estimate was close to 2m.
    When they moved to ESPN I think the estimates went out the window for a while.
    https://talksport.com/sport/mma/659052/conor-mcgregor-246-donald-cerrone-ppv-buys-notorious-record-ufc-return/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

If Dustin gets it into or beyond the 3rd round it's anyone's fight if Conor comes out swinging he needs to hit hard and fast no showboating just crack him get him down and ground and pound.

Hooker fight should be a good one too he is a great fighter hopefully a little humble and much more focused on getting a win rather than a slug fest he will need to go for the tko as if it does go the distance he is a great fighter but punches need to land to generate points.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I want one of those yokes Sarah McMann is using at the beginning of that vid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Just wondering does anyone know how I can legally stream this? I have Now TV on my smart TV so no Sky / BT box / subscription.

Can you buy the fight and steam via the BT Box Office app?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Zero-Cool wrote: »

McGregor not even having to take part in the embedded! Mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭shatners bassoon

OmegaRed wrote: »
    Just wondering does anyone know how I can legally stream this? I have Now TV on my smart TV so no Sky / BT box / subscription.

Can you buy the fight and steam via the BT Box Office app?

There doesn't seem to be any option to watch it legally without Sky.

Shambles...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

McGregor by Sub
    Mellor wrote: »
    Slightly more.

The cowboy fight initial estimate was close to 2m.
    When they moved to ESPN I think the estimates went out the window for a while.
    https://talksport.com/sport/mma/659052/conor-mcgregor-246-donald-cerrone-ppv-buys-notorious-record-ufc-return/

Ya the move to ESPN changed things.
    I think the 2M figure might include new subscriptions to ESPN that they attributed to McGregor.

This article actually says 1M. I clearly remember thinking at the time that it didn’t sell great.

https://www.sportbible.com/ufc/news-mma-the-five-biggest-ufc-pay-per-view-events-of-2020-have-been-revealed-20201029.amp.html

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

McGregor by Sub
    I reckon Conor stops him early,
    Dustin has improved but still get hit hard and often in every fight which is a nightmare if your fighting Conor,

I'm surprised Conor hasn't played any minds games with Dustin as much as Dustin says he has matured he is still way to emotional not to get draw into things with Conor and lose his composure ,

I noticed on one of the UFC build up videos they showed Dustin boarding the plane and he had a little paw Patrol key ring on his bag that he carries every where because his daughter gave it to him ,Being a father I though ah that's lovely but then when he was on the plane he took a little tiny blanket out of his bag a to basically snuggle it on the plane & explained it was his daughter first blanket ( shes 4 now) Now nothing wrong with that at all but it points that the guy is very very emotional ,

I don't think he could hold himself together in there if Conor winds him up over the previous loss,

McGregor by Sub
    As for the undercard, anyone else think Amanda Ribas is an absolute peach? She could rear naked choke me anyday.

McGregor by Sub
    Some great interviews today.

Watch for the prank JK pulls on Roddy.

• Advertisement

McGregor by Sub
    Zero-Cool wrote: »

John mentioned in that Ariel interview that Conor has been training orthodox. Is that a slip from John or is he playing some mind games?

McGregor by Sub
    John mentioned in that Ariel interview that Conor has been training orthodox. Is that a slip from John or is he playing some mind games?

Its a running joke he always throws in these little "hints" is it a bluff or double bluff :D

Poirier by Sub
    We expecting Dustin or Conor to come into the Octagon heavier?

What we looking at? 165-168 for Conor?

McGregor by Sub
    walshb wrote: »
    We expecting Dustin or Conor to come into the Octagin heavier?

What we looking at? 165-168 for Conor?

I reckon Dustin will be heavier,
    He's a much thicker man than Conor,
    Hooker said Dustin weighed 182.9 the night of there fight he , not sure how he knows that are they weighed again ?
    I just seen he said they where weighed again fight night

Poirier by Sub
    I reckon Dustin will be heavier,
    He's a much thicker man than Conor,
    Hooker said Dustin weighed 182.9 the night of there fight he , not sure how he knows that are they weighed again ?

Yes, read that

Obscene weight gain that in what, 24-30 hours or so....

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

Poirier on Pts
    Predict Mcgregor to be quiet and respectful all the way through, interviews and weigh ins, so Dustin will be at ease.
    Then, when they are facing off in the octagon about to fight, Mcgregor will do the same thing - karate pose and calling Dustin forward with his hand.
    Dustin's head will be gone from there and Mcgregor will make short work of him

McGregor by Sub
    Press conference is on tomorrow at 1pm, weigh in ceremony at 3pm Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

McGregor by Sub
    I was in the arena for the first fight @ UFC 178. The lead up was classic McGregor.

He had christened Dustin "Peahead" and it really got inside Poirier's head.

Different kettle of fish now. I'm picking Conor but I think this fight will be closer than people think.

Poirier by Sub
    If Conor can’t take Dustin out I expect it to be a very competitive fight for as long as it goes.

Could McGregor be quite tired come rds 4/5 should Dustin be still there fighting..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

walshb wrote: »
    If Conor can’t take Dustin out I expect it to be a very competitive fight for as long as it goes.

Could McGregor be quite tired come rds 4/5 should Dustin be still there fighting..?

More than likely, yes. I don't really buy that Conor's cardio could improve to such an extent that it could be on par with the likes of Poirier/Diaz etc in the later rounds, particularly if he hasn't had it all his way to that point. It's a weakness, largely due to his explosive style. His punches never have pop when we've seen him in rounds 4 And 5, and his footwork and movement are seriously slowed by that point also. That's normal to a degree but it seems to affect Conor more than others.

I think he has a good chance of finishing Dustin within the first two rounds regardless. But if it goes to the later rounds nothing will surprise me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement