Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to join a gym/Learn MMA questions

• 18-12-2018 4:29pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Any questions regarding joining a gym or taking up MMA (or individual disciplines) can go here. When posting it would be helpful to tell people what part of the country you live in so they can recommend a gym.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

Hi my sons lives in Dub 15 and im interested in bring him to classes in that area..What i would like would be a place that does adult and kids classes at same time so that maybe i could train in stead of waiting in the car for him ..
    Im just looking for any disapline thst will give him confidence .he is 9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Hi my sons lives in Dub 15 and im interested in bring him to classes in that area..What i would like would be a place that does adult and kids classes at same time so that maybe i could train in stead of waiting in the car for him ..
    Im just looking for any disapline thst will give him confidence .he is 9

C-MAC in Mulhuddart might be your closest location but I don't think they do double classes.

SBG Charlestown (Finglas) might be your best bet. I've seen them advertise free yoga for parents on certain days while their kids train. They have a big new facility that has a couple of sessions going on at a time.

yes thanks i will look into them both ..it would be great if i could get a gym session or something done rather than just sitting in the car

I just gave them a buzz there ..What i would love to get is a place that does adult and kids sessions at same time ..If anybody knows one could you please let me know

I just gave them a buzz there ..What i would love to get is a place that does adult and kids sessions at same time ..If anybody knows one could you please let me know

As in adults training alongside the kids or two separate sessions running at the same time?

The thing is a lot of these MMA gyms are quite small and don't have room to run multiple sessions at once. What age is your kid? Kids/teen classes are usually in the mid-late afternoon 3pm-6pm, with adult classes being either early/mid morning and evening times.

SBG Naas Rd and SBG Tallaght are probably the only two big enough to accommodate your needs. SBG Tallaght has a separate weights/cardio area that can be used while martial arts classes are going on.

My only other suggestion is that your kid joins a martial arts gym that has a Flyfit or Been Dunne gym nearby that you can drop into for an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

Just started an 8 week beginners MMA course, first session tonight. Really enjoyed it. Any good videos to follow as a beginner?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Living in dublin now, where would be the best place to train mma for an amateur maybe 2 nights a week?

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Living in dublin now, where would be the best place to train mma for an amateur maybe 2 nights a week?

What area of Dublin are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Dublins a big place, general area would help.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Post moved to correct thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Whelo79 wrote: »
    What area of Dublin are you in?
    Kilmainham

Kilmainham

SBG HQ is probably the nearest (and most expensive) one to you so. If you are driving SBG Tallaght is probably only about 20 minutes away from you as is SBG D24.

Fantom Gym in the city centre is another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Danye

Hi lads,

Ryoshin MMA club. Is it still going? On one of heir social media pages it’s down as being located in Lucan. Another page says Cherry Orchard? Granted neither page seems to be updated that often. Pre lockdown I went up to the Cherry Orchard address and the gates of the place were locked.

Anyone any info?

Danye wrote: »
    Hi lads,

Ryoshin MMA club. Is it still going? On one of heir social media pages it’s down as being located in Lucan. Another page says Cherry Orchard? Granted neither page seems to be updated that often. Pre lockdown I went up to the Cherry Orchard address and the gates of the place were locked.

Anyone any info?

They are based at the Lucan address as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Danye

I know with the current restrictions in place there’s no where opened but could anyone tell me of MMA clubs in the Dublin 8, 10 and 12 area. I’m aware of SBG but is there anywhere else?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lobbadee

Can people recommend anyone/place in town

Im keeping things broad as this stuff can overlap and not restrictive to one area. I have no prior experience but willing to learn obviously and with improvement I can probably join groups or go it alone after a while. Time will tell

Ordinary training/general stuff I'm fine with doing myself as I have done all my life, but this will be a change so any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,321 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Have you done any martial arts or wrestling? I'd recommend you find a place to learn wrestling and a martial art before you do MMA, that's if you haven't already.

I've never been there but I've heard great things about Vieira gym, not far from the hapenny bridge on the north side. I had a friend who went there and went for pints with him and met two lads he trained with and they were both raving about it as well.

Advertisement