Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things universal

• 17-07-2020 9:06am

I hate there is more than one type electric socket. This should be made standard so I don't need to have three types. Also with phone chargers I have to get a new connection most times I change phone for spare.

What other things should be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

LorenzoB wrote: »
    I hate there is more than one type electric socket. This should be made standard so I don't need to have three types. Also with phone chargers I have to get a new connection most times I change phone for spare.

Nearly all phones nowadays use USB type c. Except apple of course..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,171 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

LorenzoB wrote: »

What three types of electric socket are you talking about? North American, UK/Ireland and Euro are three main ones you'll encounter, but within Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭king_of_mayo

The amount of time, effort and money put into time zones is mind bending.

We should have a universal Earth time. 8pm in Ireland is 8 pm in California is 8 pm in Australia.

Don't get me started on leap seconds :rolleyes: Let them build up and have a day of it in ten thousand years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Having different languages is stupid.
    Everyone should speak French, such a beautiful language.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

biko wrote: »
    Having different languages is stupid.
    Everyone should speak French, such a beautiful language.

C'est une idee merde

• Advertisement

The amount of time, effort and money put into time zones is mind bending.

We should have a universal Earth time. 8pm in Ireland is 8 pm in California is 8 pm in Australia.

Don't get me started on leap seconds :rolleyes: Let them build up and have a day of it in ten thousand years or so.

That was the way it was for a long time, when it didn't matter. Then someone invented shipping, and it was very quickly discovered that not having time zones was an insufferable, unworkable plaster. In short, it's been tried and found wanting. :)

jimgoose wrote: »
    That was the way it was for a long time, when it didn't matter. Then someone invented shipping, and it was very quickly discovered that not having time zones was an insufferable, unworkable plaster. In short, it's been tried and found wanting. :)

It has not been tried. A lack of any time zones is not the same as one universally agreed on time zone. The problem with shipping/trains was that destination might be 20 minutes off the time from source.

It has not been tried. A lack of any time zones is not the same as one universally agreed on time zone. The problem with shipping/trains was that destination might be 20 minutes off the time from source.

Oh, I see what you mean now - that'll teach me to read. But there is no way in Hell a single, global TZ is going to happen. I'm just grateful for UTC. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Irish milk should be the only milk available worldwide.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Oh, I see what you mean now - that'll teach me to read. But there is no way in Hell a single, global TZ is going to happen. I'm just grateful for UTC. :pac:

Might not happen, but it should. China should have three or four but they're like "nah, one will do us" and they're very happy about it.

Also it would have been great if the whole world agreed on what side of the road was best to drive on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Irish milk should be the only milk available worldwide.

It's not that great. I believed in this hype about Irish milk and thought we were the only country who had such milk. Czech milk is lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

The dates should be formatted in order Day/Month/Year not this Month/Day /Year nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

It's not that great. I believed in this hype about Irish milk and thought we were the only country who had such milk. Czech milk is lovely

A-ha ! Another Czech Dairy Operative sowing dissent, Im onto you......

WrenBoy wrote: »
    The dates should be formatted in order Day/Month/Year not this Month/Day /Year nonsense.

Year/Month/Day is naturally self sorting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Clothes. How annoying is it getting up and having to decide what clothes to wear. Everybody should be issued with standard issue black outfits. Same goes for haircuts. "What'll it be?" - oh jog on, there should be a standard hairstyle for both men and women, ideally one for both but that might be pushing it.

Political parties. They are all the same anyway, we would save a lot of time and money if we did away with elections and all parties just merged into one and got on with it.

Music. Why are there so many styles and genres? There should only be a small selection of approved songs that everyone could listen to, preferably all dedicated to Michael Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,828 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I’ve two cars. Both 2010, and both marques that manufactured by Ford at the time. On one, you put the stalk up to turn on the wipers. On the other, put the stalk down. I can never remember which is which.

I test drove a Toyota Avensis years ago. As soon as I discovered the indicator stalk was on the right side of the steering wheel, I turned around and drove back to the garage. I’ve never even contemplated driving a Toyota since.

Imperial measurements should be banned worldwide. Anyone who can’t see the superiority of metric should not be allowed to measure anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Date: YYYY/MM/DD
    Plugs: UK standard or something similar. I hate those US plugs. Jesus Christ I always feel like I'm going to get a shock when I plug something in. I don't know how they can simply accept these sparks when you plug something in or out.
    Chargers: Apple should be forced to use USB-C.
    On-screen keyboards: (For logging into Netflix or whatever on your tele) Should all be QWERTY. None of this some using ABCD sh*t
    Shops: Prices on items in shops should be the f*cking price you pay. (I'm looking at your state tax, America)
    Driving: Driving on one side of road (I don't care which, just f*cking pick one)
    English spelling: Should be UK English spelling
    Daylight Savings Time: Get rid
    Measurements: Should all use Metric system (And this is coming from someone who grew up in the 70's). Weights, Metric system too. WTF is a "Fluid Ounce"? Are there 16 fluid ounces in a fluid pound? 14 fluid pounds in a fluid stone? Temperature measurement too. "30 degrees outside" "Nice" "Are you nuts? Water freezes at 24 degrees!!!" "WTF?"

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

I test drove a Toyota Avensis years ago. As soon as I discovered the indicator stalk was on the right side of the steering wheel, I turned around and drove back to the garage. I’ve never even contemplated driving a Toyota since.

As far as I know all cars now sold here are indicators on the left, wipers on the right. Think it was circa late 90's. It was a proper pain when switching between cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

There is too much needless options and ranges.

Get rid of all the chocolate bars, take the stress out of treating yourself

All anyone really needs is a good Turkish delight and be on their way

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭M256

The manual transmission should be made illegal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There are too many governments.
    How about just one, a world government?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Plugs sould be Irish/UK ones everywhere. There the safest in my opinion.

Chargers. Apple are either switching to USB C soon enough or to wireless.
    I think in a few years all mobiles will not have a charging port as they'll all be using wireless charging.

America should stop using Farenheit temps.

Metric system should be worldwide.

Irish butter should be standard around the world

All bread should bakery fresh everywhere. Pre packaged such as Brennan's banned.

Car Number Plates. I think the irish year-county- number is great and simple. Should be everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

M256 wrote: »

Why? I like driving manual car

Tig98 wrote: »
    All anyone really needs is a good Turkish delight and be on their way

Turkish delight barely qualifies as a solid, let alone a food fit for human consumption.

M256 wrote: »

Electric cars will see the end of the manual transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Clothes. How annoying is it getting up and having to decide what clothes to wear. Everybody should be issued with standard issue black outfits. Same goes for haircuts. "What'll it be?" - oh jog on, there should be a standard hairstyle for both men and women, ideally one for both but that might be pushing it.

Political parties. They are all the same anyway, we would save a lot of time and money if we did away with elections and all parties just merged into one and got on with it.

Music. Why are there so many styles and genres? There should only be a small selection of approved songs that everyone could listen to, preferably all dedicated to Michael Martin

Welcome to North Korea, where life is much simpler. Enjoy your incarceration.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

murpho999 wrote: »
    Metric system should be worldwide.

It pretty much is.

It's only really the US, Liberia and Myanmar that still plod along with imperial.

Check out this lunacy for a laugh...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

BS546 FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Everybody should be issued with standard issue black outfits. Same goes for haircuts. "What'll it be?" - oh jog on, there should be a standard hairstyle for both men and women, ideally one for both but that might be pushing it.

https://www.nine.com.au/entertainment/viral/north-korean-haircuts-and-other-fun-facts/08ffe0c9-937f-48ff-b3df-49d9315df84a#2

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2FNetwork%2FImages%2F2017%2F04%2F18%2F13%2F49%2Fmen-hair-korea.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2FNetwork%2FImages%2F2017%2F04%2F18%2F13%2F49%2F17952730_1405049419533835_809736263642622649_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Allinall

Date: YYYY/MM/DD
    Plugs: UK standard or something similar. I hate those US plugs. Jesus Christ I always feel like I'm going to get a shock when I plug something in. I don't know how they can simply accept these sparks when you plug something in or out.
    Chargers: Apple should be forced to use USB-C.
    On-screen keyboards: (For logging into Netflix or whatever on your tele) Should all be QWERTY. None of this some using ABCD sh*t
    Shops: Prices on items in shops should be the f*cking price you pay. (I'm looking at your state tax, America)
    Driving: Driving on one side of road (I don't care which, just f*cking pick one)
    English spelling: Should be UK English spelling
    Daylight Savings Time: Get rid
    Measurements: Should all use Metric system (And this is coming from someone who grew up in the 70's). Weights, Metric system too. WTF is a "Fluid Ounce"? Are there 16 fluid ounces in a fluid pound? 14 fluid pounds in a fluid stone? Temperature measurement too. "30 degrees outside" "Nice" "Are you nuts? Water freezes at 24 degrees!!!" "WTF?"

Agree with everything except the bolded bit.

We absolutely have to have driving on both sides of the road. Otherwise there would be carnage.

It would also be a total waste of 50% of our road space.

Advertisement