Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The official Christmas FM thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Only 92 days! :D

As is well, we'll be back the last day in November. Is the App still acting up? Only saw those posts now.

The Classic Christmas FM stream has been skipping for the last three months! :D Would love it to be fixed Ronan. Thank you.

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Thanks all, turns out we weren't aware about the stream skipping until you guys brought it up so as always its hugely appreciated. We are going to be building the racks for the studio this week (I know its only September! But its Technically Next month we are live) and servers in the coming week as part of the studio set up. Once this is done the skipping should be resolved. Unfortunately this does mean down time and we're not sure how long it will be, but may be a few hours or a full day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Was listening to it this morning in bed, I'm Christmas mad, but inspired my husband to say "wouldn't it be nice if we skipped the next few months and it was Christmas". I couldn't have agreed more 😄

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

So ChristmasFM have today announced today in their Facebook page that their charity partner is Make A Wish.

https://www.facebook.com/christmasfm/posts/10153409213816387

What a fantastic charity to support. They work they do and the joy they bring to people's lives is fantastic. I can't wait to donate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Turning on Christmas FM is a huge highlight for me every year. It is also so, so sweet since I have moved away to feel connected with Ireland when it is switched on and I can listen online, even through the phone app as I wander around town here. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I listened to it for a bit in work yesterday, it really put a smile on my face!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Just spotted on the ChristmasFM Facebook page their expected launch date is 28/29th of November.

Can't wait. It's a shame they couldn't launch on the 27th the same day as the Toy Show (purely a greedy measure on my behalf as I wanted to have it playing in the background as I decorate the house haha) but as they have a temporary licence and need a few days to test frequencies and the like it's completely understandable.

Can't wait to have it back! :)

Question for Darragh, would ChristmasFM consider doing podcasts on the run up to the launch date?

Could have a sit down with people from make a wish, ask the general public Christmas questions, attend the Christmas events that are happening like the turning on the Christmas lights.

Mix in a few Christmas tunes and you've got yourself a nice little podcast that can be used to drive traffic to the website and details on how to donate and launch and frequency details.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Excellent idea. Even just one podcast would get people excited and help any new volunteers get used to things.

• Advertisement

Hi All,

Not long now, I'm really excited about make a wish being our partner this year. It opens the scope for lots of making wishes come true and sure that's what Christmas is all about. Anyone that has idea's let me know, I think we can get a great community events around this partner.

I've an invite for anyone that's interested. Make a Wish are hosting a table quiz and for those that are fan's we'd love you to be there. I should be able arrange a quick visit to the studio for anyone that's interested, and I'd love to meet up with the folks here who have supported us over the years.

Ballsbridge Hotel Christmas Table Quiz

In conjunction with Christmas FM, the management at Ballsbridge Hotel would like to invite you to join them for a charity pub quiz this Christmas Season in aid of Make-A-Wish Foundation.

The event will take place on Tuesday 1st December at 6pm in The Dubliner Pub, with complimentary food & drinks. Christmas FM will MC and provide entertainment on the evening which is set kick start our party season all for a good cause.

Christmas jumpers are optional but there are fantastic prizes to be won so be creative with your attire!!!!

To enter, please book your table by 2nd November with Maria Chesser; mchesser@ballsbridgehotel.com or call 01 637 9324.

We look forward to seeing you on the night!!!!

@Loughc I like the idea of the Podcast. I know I'll be able to convince Rachel from Make A Wish to get involved too, If you and others here would volunteer to help prepare or produce, I'm happy to present and record. Not sure how many podcast listeners we'll get but sure nothing ventured nothing gained.

Hi Ronan. I'm happy to give pulling together the podcast a go. I'll jot together an outline and mail it to you and we'll see how we can try and take it from there.

With regards the table quiz I have to go I LOVE table quizzes!! How many to a team? And how much?

I notice the table quiz closing date is the 2nd of November is that a typo? Thanks.

Also we need to pull together a boards team!!

I love table quizzes. Great idea. Im useless at them though, but my husband is a table quiz genius so I just pretend that I've helped.

ChristmasFM announced on their Facebook they will be back on air on November 28th.

A day early! Wahooo! :pac::pac::pac::pac:

I was listening to Classic Christmas FM today and singing along to Silent Night and I heard 'shhhhhh'. It scared the crap out of me. I thought someone was in the house telling me to shut up. :D It was just one of the links between songs but I got a serious fright!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

I was listening to Classic Christmas FM today and singing along to Silent Night and I heard 'shhhhhh'. It scared the crap out of me. I thought someone was in the house telling me to shut up. :D It was just one of the links between songs but I got a serious fright!

This happened to me years ago, i was doing the dishes, listening to Queen on my walkman(yes im old!) had the headphones in and in one ear i hear 'ready freddie'. Well it scared the bejaysus out of me! It was the way sound would switch from ear to ear for some parts of the song, and then this was almost a whisper in one ear, my god, id say i jumped two foot in the air
    :D

Frequencies:

Dublin-94.3
    Kildare-88.1
    Limerick-105.5
    Cork-106.7
    Galway-89.5
    South East-103.8
    North Midlands-101.6
    North East-99.4
    Wicklow-99.5
    Virgin media channel 900

oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy

4 Days to go until it launches! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

\O/

One of my favourite Christmas traditions is replacing one of my husband's presets on his car radio with Christmas FM and then sneaking out in the evening to change station from Today FM to Christmas FM so that he hears Christmas music when he gets into the car in the morning. :D

Hi All,

Sorry for the lack of posts. We are nearly live, studio is fully set up and the elves are getting all the toys we need ready to go live. Over the next few days prior to launch all the presenters will be doing test shows which we'll be streaming live. Lots of the presenters from previous years are back on board, Keith with the morning show etc. And we've a few new name on this list.

We'll be testing the frequencies so there might be a small bit of FM transmissions prior to launch. Then we officially switch on on the 28th and the fun goes on.

I haven't forgotten about your requests for a pre-show / podcast, I'll get on that tomorrow and stream a one hour show tomorrow around 12.30 midday (online only) and try to record it, put it on sound cloud and post the link here. No promises as i'm not sure if the computers for recording and balancing will be set up by tomorrow. Content wise I'm going to go over this thread and one other in the section - basically playing the best of the boardies requests as posted on the Christmas Board. But if you've special requests feel free to post them here. I'll try to video a studio tour also to give you guys a behind the scenes look.

Can't wait to get back on air. Ronan

Recording a quick Boards.ie pre-launch show right now. Not going to stream it but will upload later this evening.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

105.5 Limerick is now on air.

Hi All,

As promised, a short podcast before we go live.

https://soundcloud.com/zatori/christmas-fm-pre-launch-2015

The link doesn't seem to be working :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Works for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

CHRISTMAS FM. I. AM. EXCITE. That is all :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Eeeeeeeek! Thanks Ronan!! :D

Advertisement