Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

wages for health care assistants?

• 07-03-2011 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

hi just trying to find out what is the average rate of pay for health care assistants in the private and public sectors in ireland. can't find any figures on the net for the irish rates of pay
    thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Heres a link to a HSE website,

http://www.hseea.ie/subNav.aspx?pid=payConditions

It gives links to the pay scales for all positions within the HSE for the last few years. From what I can tell, in the HSE, health care assistants start on €28,420 increasing to a max of €32,906. Don't know anything about the private sector I'm afraid or what qualifications are required for working in either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

In private nursing homes, it can vary from as little as Min wage to some places that will be pay the HSE rates. The average would for private would prob be around 11-13E P.H

Most places also require that you hold at least a Level 5 Fetac course due to HIQA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

In private nursing homes, it can vary from as little as Min wage to some places that will be pay the HSE rates. The average would for private would prob be around 11-13E P.H

Most places also require that you hold at least a Level 5 Fetac course due to HIQA.

Average for private sector would be €9.50 to €11 per hour. I've worked in countless private nursing homes, even during the Celtic Tiger and never earned more than that.Most do not give extra pay for weekend work as it is a requisite for your position.

In most places you will have to work an 8 to 8 shift, and an unpaid hour lunch break. Its very tough work, both physically and emotionally, and I really don't think the wages reflect the work care assistants do. There is a high turnover of staff in private nursing homes for that reason, and thats why there is always a massive amount of vacancies for HCA on job websites.

The public sector is much better but it is very difficult to get jobs in a public hospital or nursing home. Generally the HSE rates are €13.50/hour, going up to €16/hour for work done after 8pm. Saturdays are paid at a time and a fifth, and Sunday is double pay.

For the majority of private nursing homes you do not need to have a FETAC course as they usually provide training for it. I never had one and always got plenty of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭horse7

its strange this company says it payes hse rates,but its just 10.35euro an hour for daytime hours. see http://www.nurseoncall.ie/guide-to-pay-rates.25.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kavo368

Hi, I started off on €9.50p/h in a nursing home, it was my first job, then I moved into homecare on €10.00p/h which was not worth it when you take into account petrol and how long you have to wait to build up enough clients to keep yourself afloat. (Most of the larger homecare companies give approx. €12.00p/h) My last job in a nursing home took quite a substantial jump in pay to €11.00p/h.

The HSE have an internship scheme to take on care assistants, the first year rate is approx. €21,000p/a and second year is approx. €22,000p/a. The catch is you have to have numerous years experience so a lot of the time people have to take large pay cuts and leave a secure job in a nursing home in order to take up an internship that may or may not give you a job at the end of the two years. However, care assistants (not interns) who work for the HSE earn equal to or more than what QUALIFIED NURSES in nursing home earn.

I hope this has been helpful and has provided at least some insight as to what you were hoping to learn.

• Advertisement
Advertisement