Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Meteorite? Meteoroid? Visitors?

• 03-02-2010 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

Was just listening to Matt Cooper, apparently reports are coming in from all over the country reporting sightings of a fireball streaking across the sky at around 6pm. Dude from Astronomy Ireland reckons it might have landed somewhere in the country. Sounds pretty cool. Anyone see this or were ye all here on boards scratching ye're nether regions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Seriously... landed?

He's probably just trying to flog telescopes tbh.. he's always at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I'd have to go outside to see that sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Astronomy Ireland say a meteorite hit the earth's atmosphere at c.5pm and debris sprayed out over Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Who cares... we shall all be dead by December 21th 2012 when the world ends.. This now today is not the time.. we have to wait till then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

F-cking NASA, phone is on hold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

i saw it. it was friggin massive. thought i was hallucinating!!! looked like it landed a few fields away but apparently they all look like that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

I saw it too, I was driving into Navan from Dublin around 5:50pm. Looked like a firework at first, kinda green, but far too big. Then it seemed to disappear for a split second, the reappeared looking more orange/yellow, continued on and then disappeared. Looked like a meteorite, but huge, I'd guess it burned up fully in the lower atmosphere. Looked very cool though :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

They're worth a fortune.
    Treasure hunt, anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

That's not landing that's crashing with style.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

MaybeLogic wrote: »
    They're worth a fortune.
    Treasure hunt, anyone?

25,000 to 50,000 dollars - count me in!

Space rock worth thousands stirs ownership debate
    Todays news: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100203/ap_on_re_us/us_space_rock_dispute

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Very cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

MaybeLogic wrote: »
    They're worth a fortune.
    Treasure hunt, anyone?

€/£/$?500 a gramme apparently... :eek:

i'm in...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

imagine it was just a big advertising campaign by meteor, no doubt they will milk it somehow anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Awesome, where is it?

Also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

cornbb wrote: »
    Meteoroid?

With a name like Samus Aran, I just knew he was Irish...... and now he's finally home

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 annetduffy

I saw it too - it was amazing, I was driving past Dalgan Park on the way into Navan and it crossed the sky. Looked like it probably landed somewhere in the fields between johnstown and the Dublin road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

mikom wrote: »
    With a name like Samus Aran, I just knew he was Irish...... and now he's finally home
    Samus is a girl ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

snyper wrote: »
    Who cares... we shall all be dead by December 21th 2012 when the world ends.. This now today is not the time.. we have to wait till then.

I'm goin to hold you to that...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Samus is a girl ;)

Oh yeah.... yeah.. yeah..... I knew that. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    That's not landing that's crashing with style.

That alien pilot is gonna sue Ahern, Cowen & Lenihan; he only came in our direction because he was convinced he'd have a soft landing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

snyper wrote: »

Never pictured you as a guy with a lisp. Guess ya learn something new every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

wylo wrote: »
    imagine it was just a big advertising campaign by meteor, no doubt they will milk it somehow anyway

I could visualise it; yer man from the "togo" ad running around picking up bits of rock all over the country saying "did it cover here ? and here ? and here ?"

If the above, or a variation of it, shows up on TV, I want my creative royalties!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I think it's just the air traffic controllers on a work-to-rule policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Sligome

i saw it too over sligo, dissappeared over the mountains but it looked pretty close to the ground, so i went in search and im afraid i couldnt find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

nice 1 for post #12 squod :)

wonder did mission control in sligo pick it up ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

marcsignal wrote: »
    nice 1 for post #12 squod :)

wonder did mission control in sligo pick it up ??

They were on a go slow! Check this quote from twitter, is it to be the end of the world? :D
    Littlesapling I don't care if the world is ending because of the #meteorite. I'm finishing my chicken dinner and watching Glee

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭.50 (MOA)

saw it as i crossed the border on skraghy comin out of castlederg towards castlefin- donegal for you southerners. was comin up to the petrol station and thought it was one of their lights reflectin on the windshield. got lost then behind clouds and then the forest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭sorrywhat

I didnt see a fecking thing. If I didnt see it didnt happen. That youtube clip... well that coulda been anything.

Im not bitter at all!

Advertisement