Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dinner Tonight! Where to go? - Restaurant & Eating Out Recommendations for NCD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Am hoping to go to the new Windmill Seafood & Steakhouse in Skerries this weekend. Will be dropping Mrs Billy a hint or two about it as a birthday treat.

If it is anything like The Grill @ Ollies (same proprietor) it should live up to expectation.

100% agree.

Hope to make it over myself soon. Doubt it will be this weekend tough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Booked in for my birthday dinner in "The Windmill" on Sunday, can't wait!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Where is this new Windmill place?

We're heading out tonight. Isabella's. I love that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,743 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Khannie wrote: »
    Where is this new Windmill place?

We're heading out tonight. Isabella's. I love that place.
    Through the double-doors between Ollie's Place & The Snug on New Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 weatherfish

Hi has anybody tried Brascos restaurant on skerries harbour i tried to book for last night but they were full (always a good sign)

• Advertisement

Mrs DCR and myself were in "The Windmill" tonight, let's just say it was bloody fantastic.

We couldn't forgoe the wings for starters but I'll be having the ribs the next time I'm out there.

For the main course, herself had an 8oz fillet steak which was cooked perfect and with a brilliant choice of up to three sides. I ordered the seabass which was Caroline's twist on fish and chips (the chips are fennel chips which are cooked in batter), in my best MDMA "unbelievable"!

No room for dessert as there were some lovely crisps snacks while we waited for starters and some freshly baked bread that was savage.

The decor is lovely and I really hope that it works out for Caroline and crew.

And a Happy Birthday to you too!

Ended up going to Indie Spice in Swords after my birthday treat of seeing Happy Feet 2. ;)

Great value Sunday deals & the food was fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Right, I know it is a far cry from a restaurant, but I see that Abrakebabra in Castlemill Balbriggan had that white foam gone from the inside of the windows. Does anyone know if it is actually going to reopen? It had a sign on it for a long time saying closed for renovation but nothing appeared to be done to it.

I quite like abrakebabra, and the last one there was awful, so I would be very happy to see it reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭larko

Went to Windmill on Sunday. disappointed. I'll start with good points decor is lovely but I think they could have made better use of the space (they had to turn away two couples, which is mad in these times). The menu has lots of choice on it but they had run out of t bones and 10oz steaks and that was at 7pm on Sunday.

The food was good quality if a little pricey for the portion of the mains, starters were perfect. Staff were quietly arguing with each other a number of times which was strange and I felt we were being rushed. I'm a notoriously fast eater but even I couldn't manage to finish my starter before I was asked TWICE was I done>

The Windmill has great potential but definitely could improve. Not sure if I would go back in saying that, which I'm sad to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Rather than start another thread, can I jump in here and ask if any of you have a child-friendly recommendation for Sunday lunch in Skerries?

I have read over your great recommendations on here but worry about bringing kids into a place unless it is family friendly..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    Rather than start another thread, can I jump in here and ask if any of you have a child-friendly recommendation for Sunday lunch in Skerries?

I have read over your great recommendations on here but worry about bringing kids into a place unless it is family friendly..

Blue Bar would be child friendly. Great food aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭PaulD77

Hi Larko,
    Sorry to hear you were disappointed. I wasn’t there on Sunday evening myself, but will be sure to bring this up with all the staff.
    Let me just reply in reference to some points you made.
    On utilizing the space, we looked at putting in more tables, but the shape of the rooms would mean that the tables would be on top of each other then and this would annoy people more. The layout of the room is and will continue to be under review.
    On running out of T-Bone and 10oz fillets, I can only apologize for this as it was completely out of our control. We were let down big time by our supplier and are putting measures in place to make sure that this does not happen again.
    I find it strange that you say it is a bit pricey for portion size on the mains. Since we have opened, speaking to regulars from other places we have ran, the general consensus was that the portions were way too big
    On feeling as you were being rushed, as I said I will bring this up with the floor staff. I certainly don’t think that they were trying to rush you, maybe over enthusiastic, which I will work on, but they weren’t trying to turn the table as we finish at 9 on Sundays.
    We hope to see you back soon as we are only open 10 days and appreciate feedback like you have given so we can only improve.
    Many Thanks
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

PaulD77 wrote: »
    Hi Larko,
    Sorry to hear you were disappointed. I wasn’t there on Sunday evening myself, but will be sure to bring this up with all the staff.
    Let me just reply in reference to some points you made.
    On utilizing the space, we looked at putting in more tables, but the shape of the rooms would mean that the tables would be on top of each other then and this would annoy people more. The layout of the room is and will continue to be under review.
    On running out of T-Bone and 10oz fillets, I can only apologize for this as it was completely out of our control. We were let down big time by our supplier and are putting measures in place to make sure that this does not happen again.
    I find it strange that you say it is a bit pricey for portion size on the mains. Since we have opened, speaking to regulars from other places we have ran, the general consensus was that the portions were way too big
    On feeling as you were being rushed, as I said I will bring this up with the floor staff. I certainly don’t think that they were trying to rush you, maybe over enthusiastic, which I will work on, but they weren’t trying to turn the table as we finish at 9 on Sundays.
    We hope to see you back soon as we are only open 10 days and appreciate feedback like you have given so we can only improve.
    Many Thanks
    Paul

Paul

Have you a website/facebook page when i can have a look at the menu. Will definately pay a visit

Do a search yourself on FB for 'Windmill Steakhouse'. As Paul knows - it is forbidden to advertise here - even upon request.

tHB

Just spent a weekend in Skerries - lovely town and lovely people!!

Ollies was just the best out of all the places we ate but didn't get to the Windmill, mind. The Olive have lovely organic teas and nice breakfast.

We also ate at the blue bar and it was okay but could have been so much better: why, oh why, do chefs not change the oil and make chips and kids' food in old oil that smells rancid. Really puts me off going back to places when they do that.. and yet the ingredients are good/fresh, the menu varied and interesting but they just use old past-its-best oil so the restaurant stinks of it by the time you're finished your meal :confused:

And, by the way, this isn't an isolated problem. Restaurants up and down the country use old oil too.

Needless to say, no bad smelling oil out of Ollies. Just good fresh smelling food - salads were great there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Posher

Blue Bar would be child friendly. Great food aswell.
    They don't allow buggies though so be prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Where is the restaurant in Ollies? I've drank there a few times and never noticed anyone eating. And where is the Windmill now? I thought Ollies was in the Windmill building?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Where is the restaurant in Ollies? I've drank there a few times and never noticed anyone eating. And where is the Windmill now? I thought Ollies was in the Windmill building?

The Grill @ Ollies is grub with in the bar.

The Windmill is attached to Ollies.

eh i dunno wrote: »

I sent you the facebook page on PM for the Windmill a few weeks back. We have been doing food in Ollies for about a year and a half now. The Windmill Restaurant, which is inbetween Ollies and The Snug opened at the end of January

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

PaulD77 wrote: »
    I sent you the facebook page on PM for the Windmill a few weeks back. We have been doing food in Ollies for about a year and a half now. The Windmill Restaurant, which is inbetween Ollies and The Snug opened at the end of January

If I might hijack the thread toask a question, I like a good seafood chowder but most fail to impress. Whats the fish in the Loughshinny chowder?

• Advertisement

If I might hijack the thread toask a question, I like a good seafood chowder but most fail to impress. Whats the fish in the Loughshinny chowder?

Our Chowder is made from scratch with root vegetables, fresh fennel, fresh mussels, dublin bay prawns, monkfish, salmon, cod and smoked salmon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Posher wrote: »
    They don't allow buggies though so be prepared.

really i just wouldnt go there now even if i didnt have a buggy,.I cant stand that.Thanks for the info.

cathy01 wrote: »
    really i just wouldnt go there now even if i didnt have a buggy,.I cant stand that.Thanks for the info.

In fairness to the Blue Bar, the way the restaurant is designed, there is not enough space in there for a buggy.. all the seats and tables are in snug-type raised tables. I don't think it's a case of not allowing you a buggy, just no where to store it unless it was a small umbrella one that collapsed easily and could be put at the door safely out of the way.

They asked if we needed high chairs which we didn't, and all the staff were very nice and helpful. The kids got colour pencils/crayons and paper for drawing and I got the impression they would try to help if they could so..

(psst, note to Chef: just keep your oil fresh and I'll be back.. :))

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dublin Mark

Got a takeaway from Chipsticks - the new Chinese Restuarant in Skerries and I have to say it was fantastic!

Speedy service, good value - we will be back!

Got a takeaway from Chipsticks - the new Chinese Restuarant in Skerries and I have to say it was fantastic!

Speedy service, good value - we will be back!

Is that a typo for chopsticks? chipsticks is a peculiar name for a chinese.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Recently discovered Gibneys in Gormanstown, a bit out of the way, but worth a visit imo!

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Is that a typo for chopsticks? chipsticks is a peculiar name for a chinese.

Yes its Chopsticks, also in New Street Skerries, next door to the Snug, The Windmill and Ollies Place. With the Coast opening back up soon, its becoming quite a busy little street!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Has anybody eaten in the new grill in the bracken court hotel? Just wondering what it is like. Menu looks like and reasonable to me.

Its not Northy County Dublin per se, but will be of plenty of interest to NCD residents that El Paso has re-opened in Howth.

• Advertisement

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Its not Northy County Dublin per se, but will be of plenty of interest to NCD residents that El Paso has re-opened in Howth.
    Got a 3 out of 5 review in one of the papers during the week (not sure which paper though).

Advertisement