Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iphone or HTC desire??

• 12-08-2010 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

hi all
    Im with meteor and my contract is up soon. I currently have a nokia 5230, which i got bored with after a month of buying.
    Basically, Im due an upgrade and dont know enough about the htc or iphone to choose. (thinking of switching to o2 for the iphone but the plan isnt half as good value as with meteor and the htc)
    Im not tech-mad or anything but i have found the 5230 quite boring (having said that - internet costs a fortune on the contract i have, so i havent been using it):rolleyes:
    Ive heard the iphone is amazing but the HTC desire is better??
    Also, ive heard the apps are crap with the htc and the camera and loudspeaker are terrible?
    But ive heard the htc is faster! :confused:
    any advice would be appreciated! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I've been mulling it over for a while now and I'm leaning towards the iPhone myself. The big issue for me with Android is cross compatibility. Depending on the handset you buy certain apps may not work with it. At least with iPhone when there's a software update everyone gets it at the same time and you know it's going to work and that your apps will work.
    You can't beat the Apple app store for choice - Paid apps in Android Market are still not available in Ireland which is ridiculous.
    Camera is as good on iPhone 4 by all accounts plus there's no HD video on the Desire. There's also the front facing camera.
    The Desire's screen can be hard to view in daylight - newer ones will have a Super LCD screen instead of AMOLED I'm not sure if this will be any better.
    Flash isn't an issue for me I can live without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

At the risk of stating something you know, or aren't bothered by, the Desire HD reportedly comes in Oct.

Availability on Irish Networks, not sure how soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

eamon234 wrote: »
    Camera is as good on iPhone 4 by all accounts plus there's no HD video on the Desire. There's also the front facing camera.
    Your talking out your ass here, it was one of the main features in the last update for the desire.

Go into the Camera options on any Desire with froyo update and you will find 720p which is what the Hd iphone has.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Similar to what goes on when someone asks: "Should I get a PS3 or 360?"

Now, I don't have an iPhone so I can't (and won't) comment on it but some iPhone users may compare theirs to my post:

I have the Desire:

I like the ability to be able to completely customise your phone: Don't like the clock on the main page? Change it or remove it completely. Want to add a weather widget instead? Just drag and drop pretty much. Don't like the email/SMS program that comes with the phone? Replace them. (I currently use mailwidget/K-9 mail for my email and chompSMS (Also available for iPhone apparently) for my SMS. Add/move/remove applications/widgets on any one of seven homescreens.

For me the big draw to the desire was the use of widgets. I have one screen with 1/2 screen monitoring Facebook, 1/4 screen with a youtube viewer and 1/8 screen using a voice/text controlled google search bar and 1/8 screen with a row of commonly used app icons.
    Another screen shows my emails at the top of the screen and SMS at the bottom. The handy thing about the widgets is that you can just see their updates without having to actually click on them. Handy for things like e-mail and facebook.

Now, the iPhone may be able to do widgets but whenever I see my friend's one all I see are page after page of app icons. Can an iPhone user confirm if they can/can't use widgets? Just curious. Cheers.

For ME, I love my htc Desire.

Couple of points:
    * As someone said, htc are having problems sourcing enough amoled screens for their high demand and will now also (not solely) be using a new Super LCD screen. There are youtube videos out there comparing the screens and they seem to be pretty mch on a par. But just so you know because some people would prefer the "in thing" amoled screens.
    * The new firmware Android 2.2 (Froyo) has been rolled out to most providers now. This gives, amongst others, 720 video recording, you can setup your phone as a wifi hotspot, FULL FLASH SUPPORT for flash websites (Looks great) and a whole load of other things.
    * The marketplace hasn't as many apps as the applestore (But still has thousands) and, as someone said, you cannot buy apps on it. All the apps available are free. But I've never found it lacking something I want.
    * The Desire has integrated google maps (Requires internet connection so you may need a data plan if you intend using it a lot) with full turn-by-turn navigation.
    * The camera is apparently better on the iPhone.
    * There is an LED camera flash on the desire

Anyway, that's my (overvalued) two cents worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

I have a Desire, but recently got an iPhone 3gs for my wife and have had a chance to play around with both, so here are my observations

Desire (unrooted upgraded to 2.2)

[+] Customisable screens/homescreen etc
    [+] Widgets
    [+] Replace stock applications with your own.
    [+] Can write my own apps and install as I see fit
    [+] Flash
    [+] Friendstream
    [+] Google Integration (didn't use it beforehand, but use it now
    [+] Very good "phone"
    [+] Innovation. Anybody can think of somthing and deploy it, eg the barcode scanner.

[-] Poor battery performance
    [-] No way to stop apps from starting at startup (unless you root apparently)
    [-] Speaker is crap
    [-] Not a standard micro usb connector, so need to buy more cables to have in work, or at home etc

iPhone 3gs
    [+] Simpler interface (in my opinion)
    [+] Way better battery
    [+] Less tech know how needed.
    [+] Standard iPod connector, so all my old iPod cables and chargers still work with it
    [+] Sync with itunes. Can have one app managing all music, videos etc and sync to iPhone automatically.

[-] Cannot install something that is not from App Store
    [-] Can be confusing to find settings. eg to turn on/off bluetooth have to go to Settings->General Settings->Bluetooth.
    [-] If Apple don't approve something, it doesn't get into the store.

Summary
    As a techie, I would have to pick the Desire. I love being able to play around with settings, replacing stock applications with my own, using all the cool tricks, finding out cool ways of doing things (eg QR Codes).

Also something that is really missing from the iPhone is the ability to create your own shortcuts to settings etc. It is lovely that I can turn bluetooth on and off with one button on my home screen, same for wifi, gps, mobile broadband etc. In the iPhone you have to go into settings->General Settings etc. It just feels too long winded.

From a non-techie standpoint, I can see the attraction of the iPhone. It just works. And works well. My wife (who isn't the most technilogically minded person, God bless her) can figure out how to do most things, and when I got it set up with wifi and iTunes and the app store she was delighted to be able to go and get her own apps and play around with them.
    Her only gripe is that there is no friendstream on the iPhone.

So I guess it comes down to what you want to do with the phone, to just have something that you can leave alone and it will work, or a phone that you can play around with and customise to your hearts content.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cheeky lil thing

Thanks for the replies, I must say im now definately more swayed towards the HTC desire .;)
    (....altho i did see on the o2 website last night that the iphone4 is on its way....)
    However, the meteor plans with the htc desire are far better than o2's plans with the iphone (no vodafone reception where i am). Then contract is an 18months one so thats why i needed some advice - 18 months is a long time if you hate ur phone!
    I really like the idea of being able to make the phone my own, by creating shortcuts etc. And i was worried about the lack of apps but it seems thats not an issue with ye, so ill give it a go in october when my contract ends.
    As i said before, im not at all tech-minded (....er can i be a simpleton and ask what the heck is ROOTING????!!!)

Thanks again! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

(....er can i be a simpleton and ask what the heck is ROOTING????!!!)

Thanks again! :D

In the Australian vernacular, the more polite version of rooting is the highly skilled process of totally stuffing something up, whereby something becomes rooted.

In the Android vernacular, it is the process by which you grant yourself God like powers over the OS, which can then lead you to applying the Australian meaning of the word where after you could say you had 'rooted' your expensive gadget - see 'bricked'

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Megatron_X

I can't imagine having an unjailbroken iPhone, you should look into jailbreaking and see if that helps your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

Wanted to get a Desire myself - love the Sense UI to the android OS. love android.

BUT, meteor are all out of em...

Half thinking of holding off til the Desire HD comes out.. But we're usually very late getting things in Ireland so god knows when that'll be! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,039 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The Galaxy S trumps both the desire and iPhone, it's well worth looking at. I don't know why it's not the number 1 smartphone at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I've had a 32gb 3GS for the last year and have recently upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S, which seems to be on a par with the Desire as an Android phone. It's a tough call, but the Galaxy S edges it for me, so although it may complicate matters, I'd add that to your equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

I've been waiting for the HTC Desire to come back into stock on Meteor - but I'd be interested to know why the Galaxy S beats it, in your opinion?

What does it have that's better?

For example. the post about that compared the HTC and the iphone had these negatives for the Desire.

[-] Poor battery performance
    [-] No way to stop apps from starting at startup (unless you root apparently)
    [-] Speaker is crap
    [-] Not a standard micro usb connector, so need to buy more cables to have in work, or at home etc

How does the Galaxy S score on those, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,039 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I don't know if i'd agree with the above complaints on the Samsung S, I only had one for 3days while my iphone was being repaired. Battery life was good seen as it was so new, Nothing happend that made me think the phone needed to be rooted, Speaker was fine and a standard micro usb powerd the phone.

I used it on 3, the reception compared to the iphone was Jaw Dropping, It was constantly hitting 2mb + on speedtests and gave 3G coverage where the iphone could not even make a call.

It's between the desire and Galaxy, i'd pick the galaxy as it's a quicker more powerfull phone with a brilliant screen.
    There's an update due from Samsung when that comes it should be the no1 smartphone.

I wouldn't touch an iphone again, it feels old compared to the galaxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Dacelonid wrote: »

Eh? Are you confusing your connectors? Up until recently the general standard was mini-usb. Maybe you have some of these lying about.

The Desire does have a standard micro-usb which is the standard used on all new phones. The Galaxy has a micro-usb port also.

Ix.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mossyd

Hi All,

I am a Vodafone customer currently, and am looking to upgrade to the HTC Desire. I believe they are not to be got at this time anwhere (due to some issue HTC had with the screen on the phone itself). Can anyone comment on this, or can anyone tell me when we can expect them to be available again?

Thx!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

they were stopped because HTC had a shortage of AMOLED screens...

Now their being brought back soon with a new Sony Super LCD...

as far as i heard (just a rumor) 5000 phones been received by meteor to be distributed in mid September or maybe earlier...

though 5 k? lol

them things sell like hot cakes :)

The Galaxy S trumps both the desire and iPhone, it's well worth looking at. I don't know why it's not the number 1 smartphone at the moment.

hmm maybe cause it doesn't have the x factor to be #1 ;)

poor built quality (noisy plastic)...iOS like UI copied and renamed Touch WIZ UI which is ****...lack of dev support...no flash...huge lags reported...gps problems...

enough proof why its not the first? :D

and to OP...lol well as alot of people has desribed the iphone users are either kids/people in mid life crysis/old people...that dont have a clue how to use a normal phone..so they rely on multiple screens and shortcuts to make that experience easier for them...easier means you cant customize it at all...you cant even make a fart without jobs permission ;) so if that suits you go for the iPhone ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Never used a HTC before so can't comment.

Just got my first iPhone, always been a Nokia user, and I find it blazing fast. Compared to any Nokia I've ever had, yeah not a great comparison, but I don't think I've run into a single software problem yet - i.e. slowdown, screen tear, crashing/freezing apps.

There doesn't seem to be a widget option for iphone, but there are badges and push notifications for most apps, so instead of having a widget on my desktop/homescreen, I get a pop up notification letting me know I've got a message/comment/somethings changed in one of my games etc. This may not suit everyone but it suits me fine because I only need to know about facebook updates if they affect me. I can always use the facebook app to quickly (key word there) check my friends pages, photos etc.

The youtube app is also ridiculously fast compared to using the standard browser on other handsets. I guess for me, the benefits are:

Massive appstore
    Cross compatible apps/updates
    Apple have the UI down pat (no longer in it's infancy and it just works)
    Notifications
    Brilliant GPS lock on - in miliseconds, whether indoor or outdoor, it must be using the network or cell towers to narrow down the location.
    The itunes remote is a big thing for me, I often have house parties and need to be able control the music remotely.
    Multitasking - thought this would be a big con for me but it works well enough, doesn't drain battery either.

At the end of the day it boils down to whatever suits you, you need to play with both phones. I may consider moving to android in a year or so when it's more 'experienced' but for now the iPhone definitely satisfies my needs.

Massive appstore - Android Has it

Cross compatible apps/updates - Android has it/Windows Mobile Doednt Have It

Apple have the UI down pat (no longer in it's infancy and it just works) - again for people incapable of thinking need it/well i never found it hard with Sense UI on Windows Mobile but every one else does so guess winmo doesnt have it

Notifications - android has far better notifications system/LED notifications count on WM? :D

Brilliant GPS lock on - in miliseconds, whether indoor or outdoor, it must be using the network or cell towers to narrow down the location. - Hmm my year old phone had it (thats on WM)

The itunes remote is a big thing for me, I often have house parties and need to be able control the music remotely. - Android has it/ WM has it

Multitasking - thought this would be a big con for me but it works well enough, doesn't drain battery either. - Android has it/WM always had it :)

and android always had this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Bit funny how you used to slate Android and now suddenly love it.. now you just seem intent on hating the iphones, whats the bets you end up with an iphone sometime :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mossyd

Thanks evolutionqy7 for the prompt reply. I've been reading up and they phones seem to be crawling back into the market again. It might not be long before we see them available .. here's hoping anyway :)

If anyone knows when Vodafone will have them available, pls post.

• Advertisement

angel01 wrote: »
    Bit funny how you used to slate Android and now suddenly love it.. now you just seem intent on hating the iphones, whats the bets you end up with an iphone sometime :D

i had the iphone 3g when it came out...it was just too restrictive for my liking so i sold it...i like to make things my way...full customization of UI and how it works...that's why ill always will stand by Windows Mobile and Android side :)

Massive appstore - Android Has it

Cross compatible apps/updates - Android has it/Windows Mobile Doednt Have It

Apple have the UI down pat (no longer in it's infancy and it just works) - again for people incapable of thinking need it/well i never found it hard with Sense UI on Windows Mobile but every one else does so guess winmo doesnt have it

Notifications - android has far better notifications system/LED notifications count on WM? :D

Brilliant GPS lock on - in miliseconds, whether indoor or outdoor, it must be using the network or cell towers to narrow down the location. - Hmm my year old phone had it (thats on WM)

The itunes remote is a big thing for me, I often have house parties and need to be able control the music remotely. - Android has it/ WM has it

Multitasking - thought this would be a big con for me but it works well enough, doesn't drain battery either. - Android has it/WM always had it :)

and android always had this...

It has nothing to do with 'being incapable of thinking'. I happen to like the consistency and ease of use.

I don't want smaller icons/text/buttons and inconsitent app designs.

I can't help but sense bitterness from your post, correct me if I'm wrong.

OP, I've spent a lot of money on phones over the years. I've always bought what was more powerful/looked better on paper. But this doesn't mean I was happy with it after a few days/weeks. iPhone may not be 'better' than HTC in evolutionqy7's terms, but it's making me happy, when I wasn't sure that it would [which is the most important part] and I'd consider myself a power user when it comes to mobiles.

You probably won't go far wrong with either of the handsets though, enjoy whichever you pick.

yeah well it comes to this day and age when you make any sort of comment in relation to the iPhone be ready to get attacked...i totally agree that the phone for an average person is best the one that fulfills all his all needs and makes him think that he got what he spent his money on...

last year spent loads on phones...i usually was a nokia owner but after then N97 i got thrown off nokia at all...having owned all sorts of phones i know people bought iPhones cause of their ease of use...for some its plain boring but the fact that they never used anything beside a nokia before doesn't make it the best phone ;)

i had the iphone 3g when it came out...it was just too restrictive for my liking so i sold it...i like to make things my way...full customization of UI and how it works...that's why ill always will stand by Windows Mobile and Android side :)

To be honest, I am not that bothered about full customisation etc, never used an iphone. Not keen on having to install itunes etc

Most people buy a phone just for ease of use, good keyboard, app's etc and not everyone will be into it for the technical reasons etc.

right ok the first thing that i disliked about the iPhone you cant use BT to send files whether mp3 or even simple pics...wtf???

then you have to load everything through itunes...i dont like itunes and believe me i tried when WMP12 came out...

and it certainly doesn't like me...people like to share things...one basic things taken away from the phone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

i'd pick the galaxy as it's a quicker more powerfull phone with a brilliant screen.

Explain how it's quicker? Galaxy S has been notorious for lag with lots and lots of complaints, can't say the same about the Desire.

Brother has both, got the SGS on upgrade a few days ago and he's decided to keep the Desire, good attempt from Samsung but it's missing a few too many things. HDMI out is a big plus though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Also my advice for buying a phone is what you want a phone to do.

If you're not looking to play around with the phone and just want an 'in' gadget then by all means go for the iPhone.

However if you're interested in how you can customise your phone to be different than the rest, install custom ROMs by rooting the phone and get involved in a huge community then go for the Desire, android's best device so far.

I don't think the iPhone is just an 'in' gadget. I'm sure I said something along those lines myself before I bought one - I would never have touched one.

I've just come from using the N900 - possibly the most customisable/technical of all phones/devices out there at the minute. It was interesting being able to customise the phone to the Nth degree, but I found I just didn't have the time to code everything or fiddle with source or test applications that may or may not work or stop working with little to no developer support.

iPhone makes sense to me in this regard because it helps me do the things I want quicker and easier than other phones, without the need for endless fiddling.

Also, this:
    and to OP...lol well as alot of people has desribed the iphone users are either kids/people in mid life crysis/old people...that dont have a clue how to use a normal phone..so they rely on multiple screens and shortcuts to make that experience easier for them...easier means you cant customize it at all...you cant even make a fart without jobs permission so if that suits you go for the iPhone

Is ridiculous and wrong on so many levels. Reeks of bitterness again!

I have a HD2 and yes, I put a ROM on it but only because O2 were slow in giving me an updated rom to fix the bugs and what not, I have no interest in coding or customising it etc. I just want a smart phone that has apps, features and good for browsing/internet/twitter etc.

Not everyone is into all the technical details.. I tried to use the XDA forums before but it went right over my head...

• Advertisement

funkyflea wrote: »

Is ridiculous and wrong on so many levels. Reeks of bitterness again!

im sorry but this was said by a different person that actualy owns an iPhone...i just repeated it...in fact its thruth ive seen many old people use it cause they struggle using a normal phone...kids buy it cause its easy to use and the big app fuzz...middle age men buy it to try looking cool...its all been discussed and studies have confirmed it :) so sorry if it sounds bitter but it has been discussed and proved :)

Angel so i was confused at XDA first time too...but once you watch a video and do it step by step instructions you realize how easy it is...btw 02 doesn't provide you rom updates...their on HTC site since winmo doesn't support auto phone updates

you install one time app that hacks your phone quickly to allow non official roms to be installed.

then you download a rom...run the Ruu app and keep pressing next...screen goes off...turns into a percentage mark 0 - 100% ROM loads and your done :) its really simple

and android or even the hated Windows-Mobile doesn't need constant fiddling...phone updates are included in nearly all phones now one way or another...there's no way of escaping them at this day and age...were all always looking for a way to improve ourselves and life's and without updates and fiddling nothing will ever get better

Advertisement