Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gauloises

• 02-03-2010 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever smoked these?
    If so what do you think of them?
    I remember a lad was telling me how nice they were,this,coupled with the fact that James Bond smokes them in the books,enticed me to buy 40 when I saw them in a shop in Dublin.
    I got 20 red and 20 blue.
    Didn't think the reds were that great but I reckon the Blues are the nicest smoke i ever had.
    Really dark,rich taste,bit like a Lucky Strike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i was given a blue one from a friend who had a box, they were bit stale as they'd probably been sitting in a newsagents for ages. cant remember the taste but it was definitely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭peking97

Anyone ever smoked these?
    If so what do you think of them?
    I smoked these for years before they became unavailable here.
    These are the Gauloise Caporal untipped.
    Gorgeous with good coffee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 pimpmyace

to be honest the first taught which came to mind was suspenders

and the smoke afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

So they're not sold here anymore?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

the fact that James Bond smokes them in the books
    Reluctantly, IIRC. His regular smoke was a custom blend from Morland's of London, with three gold bands on the filter, what with him being a commander and all.

• Advertisement

Well I can definately remember him smoking Gauloises at some point in one of the books :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭peking97

So they're not sold here anymore?

No. My local tobacconist used to order them in for me.
    Following that, I tried everywhere...even the Kapp & Petersen shop near TCD.
    Something to do with yet another EU regulation possibly about tar content I think!

Ah jaysus :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

gauloises_blondes_cigarettes.jpg

I smoked these once when I was in Germany but I don't think they can be got here can they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

You can buy Gauloise handrolling tobacco.
    http://mcgahey.co.uk/hand_tobacco.asp?offset=6

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Rumplesmigskin

I used to smoke Gauloises Blondes (the red ones) all the time in Germany. Love the taste. I wish I could get them here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

I used to smoke Gauloises Blondes (the red ones) all the time in Germany. Love the taste. I wish I could get them here!

I have a pack of these in my pocket right now, they're very nice. Im in Germany for a couple of weeks. You can by them in packs of 23 for some strange reason. Tried a brand over here called PallMall didnt like them and thought I might even give up while I was here until I smoked Gauloises. Only problem is I dont know how to pronounce the word and spend about 5 minutes pointing over the counter, coupled with my complete lack of German it makes for a very annoyed shop keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

PK2008 wrote: »
    Only problem is I dont know how to pronounce the word and spend about 5 minutes pointing over the counter, coupled with my complete lack of German it makes for a very annoyed shop keeper.
    Gal-wa or Gal-was

They are a foul brand of ciggie. I've only known one Irishman to smoke them at home, but then again he was from Cavan and knew that no one would ever dream of bumming a Gauloise from him...a second time.

West or L&M were what I usually smoked when in lived in Frankfurt and ran out of Silk Cut. The fact that they have ciggie vending machines on almost every street corner was enough to almost make me forgive them for starting two world wars.

Had a similar experience in Dublin when you could buy them here,she told me it was pronounced Gal-lay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Gal-wa or Gal-was

They are a foul brand of ciggie. I've only known one Irishman to smoke them at home, but then again he was from Cavan and knew that no one would ever dream of bumming a Gauloise from him...a second time.

West or L&M were what I usually smoked when in lived in Frankfurt and ran out of Silk Cut. The fact that they have ciggie vending machines on almost every street corner was enough to almost make me forgive them for starting two world wars.

Yeh, but apparantly you need an ID card now to stop underage kids buying them, suppose it only makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

the blues are rough , wouldn't touch em, reds are the nicest i've had to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Everyone smoked them in France when I was there last.

I got Pall Malls in Germany and I quite liked them. I love the tobacconists there, its like being in a candy store, our choice is so limited here, I hate when someone offers me a cigarette and they're marlboro lights :mad:

Advertisement