Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards Golf Society - The European Club 20th April 11.00 AM 2019

• 01-04-2019 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭

The links of The European Club was designed by Pat Ruddy who continues after thirty years
    to calibrate the links to meet the challenges of the modern game allowing the champions of today
    to express themselves while demanding a cerebral approach for true success.

Year after year the work goes on with Ruddy directing design improvements. Few golf courses have had such prolonged attention from their designers with Donald Ross at Pinehurst being an obvious equivalent.

The result is probably the best links of them all as it is fitted precisely to the modern game and is never allowed to grow old. It benefits from the constant inputs of one of the most astute designers the game has seen.

Next up is - The European Club - 20th April 11.00am

The Green Fee for this outing is €50 and I look forward to seeing you all there.

Regards

Benny79

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

I have been looking forward to this one. From the response on Teamer, looks like I am not the only one.

I hope we have enough spots for everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭benny79

Preference is always given to people who attended the most outings and so on etc.. but I think we are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

€50 is fantastic. Really looking forward to this one

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Awesome course, looking forward to it. Thanks Benny

pakman wrote: »
    €50 is fantastic. Really looking forward to this one

Some courses offset other ones that's the way I'm trying to do it to keep the cost down and spread it out..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Working that Saturday :mad:

Enjoy though, hope the sun shines on ye

• Registered Users Posts: 15,821 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

looking forward to it
    hopefully I will actually get out this time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Accepted on Teamer and defo in for this - I'll be really interested to see what the winning score is as it's undoubtedly one of the toughest tests in Ireland :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Gutted to miss this. Am from nearby so was hoping to get home and take this in, but not to be.

Hope ye all enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

This will be a 1st for me, can’t believe I’ve never played it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

It’s a beautiful beast:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,713 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I think you'll love it .

One of the best on the east coast . But in my view the east coast is weak from a links perspective.

Whilst the bunkers are not for everyone. You'll be well able for them.

I'm still undecided on difficult / unplayable bunkers . In my mind , yes, a bunker is a hazard, but you should be able to get out.

The more top links I play , you just have to accept that this is a real feature of most top links courses.

In RCD you are going backwards or sideways in maybe 25 % of the bunkers.

I'll be interested what you think . I could be wrong , The European is one of those very split courses, a sort of love hate place.

To be controversial for a second. It is described as a true links . But some of the course does not have a links feel at all . More manufactured coastal . Hopefully Pat Ruddy doesn't read boards . I'll be banished. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Ah flippin heck my kids booked myself and my beloved into a fancy hotel on the Friday night as a surprise so after having accepted on Teamer i am afraid that i will not be able to make it, sorry Capt.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kennethrhcp

gutted to have to decline this 1!!!

have a great time lads/ladies

Ah flippin heck my kids booked myself and my beloved into a fancy hotel on the Friday night as a surprise so after having accepted on Teamer i am afraid that i will not be able to make it, sorry Capt.

Can you just make sure you have unaccepted if you haven't already done so.. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Do we just have 28 places?

Staying down there and need transport a 16 month old with me so a later tee time would be appreciated

Also, I have read reviews of groups reporting that the best score in 16 people was 10 over their handicap!! I’d tot really that tough??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Up there with RCD as the hardest course I've played. Probably just edges Ulster's finest.

Front 9 isn't too bad off the tee except for the 7th hole, which can be very intimidating depending on which tee you're put off. But the greens are all quite small and slopey and tricky, both to hit and putt on. Standout holes for me are the 2nd, the 5th and the 8th.

The back 9 is the harder 9 imo, but probably has the nicest holes. 11 is a beauty, whereas as 12 and 13 are quality coastal holes. 14 juts back inland(ish) before 15 goes back out towards the sea. 17 is a great par 4, back down through huge dunes, whereas 18 is, in my experience anyway, brutally difficult. Down hill and dog-legging from right to left onto a very narrow, sloping fairway with trouble left and right that goes far beyond the ample selection of bunkers gaping back at you. Hit the fairway and you've a long second off a downhill lie over a nasty burn that guards the front of the green. And the green itself is wicked, very undulating and always seems to be faster than some of the others.
    Anybody who records 2 points there has done well for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭SEORG

Really looking forward to this one. I haven't played it before and will be interesting to see how it compares to other links I have played. From what I have heard it is quite tough.

Are there any online guides/overviews to the course? I haven't seen any on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭a post punk

Really looking forward to this one even if it’s a longer drive than the round of golf will take:) :) it would be great if I could get out early Benny for this please.Ill be just home from Augusta in time.........
    PP

Can Gavin Morris pm me please as you have accepted on teamer and I dont know your user name :D

On another note all memberships will have to be paid in full (€30) on the day if still outstanding for this one, As the Society is subsidising a big chunk of the green fee.

• Advertisement

benny79 wrote: »
    Can Gavin Morris pm me please as you have accepted on teamer and I dont know your user name :D

when I set everyone up on teamer I include boards username as first name and real name as surname. once you register, I can't change your names anymore, but some people do change their own names on teamer.

please don't do this as it is a pain when it comes to managing teamer invites. equally as painful is those who change your boards username.

I don't keep the pm's I get once entered to teamer so won't always know who is who, especially new guys

if you have changed your teamer name, please change it back, and if you change your boards username, please update teamer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Have found out I have to work now that weekend.

Poxy, f-in job, reckon I should just quit. The European is worth being unemployed for isn't it?

I've tried to get playing this course 3 separate times & something has gotten in the way every time.

Enjoy lads, will catch you at the next one

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Have found out I have to work now that weekend.

Poxy, f-in job, reckon I should just quit. The European is worth being unemployed for isn't it?

I've tried to get playing this course 3 separate times & something has gotten in the way every time.

Enjoy lads, will catch you at the next one

In the same boat, working every 4th Saturday, grrrrrrr

The European is worth being unemployed for isn't it?

I've never played it so wouldn't know.

But.

Yes :D

Seve OB wrote: »
    I've never played it so wouldn't know.

But.

Yes :D

I Have and its a big YES from me or maybe a sick day! ;) imo Its the best course in the Country and we have it in April :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

I Have and its a big YES from me or maybe a sick day! ;) imo Its the best course in the Country and we have it in April :cool:

I would not go that far, not sure if it is the best, some awesome golf courses in the west coast and Donegal (not counting RCD), but for me undoubtedly the best in the east coast.

Looking forward to it, very unlucky not being able to play it Space and Slave. They do a fourball matchplay competition starting in winter, so if anyone is brave enough to play with me, very happy to.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 The Hurricane

Hi I'm looking to join Boards golf society often been tempted but never did. Id love to play The European club though time sheet full probably. I'm in Dublin that weekend as it so happens but live in the north west. Could one join and play in the European club on the 20th?

Hi I'm looking to join Boards golf society often been tempted but never did. Id love to play The European club though time sheet full probably. I'm in Dublin that weekend as it so happens but live in the north west. Could one join and play in the European club on the 20th?

Im afraid its full now but if you want to join just drop steve ob your details. As above.

jarrieta wrote: »
    I would not go that far, not sure if it is the best, some awesome golf courses in the west coast and Donegal (not counting RCD), but for me undoubtedly the best in the east coast.

Looking forward to it, very unlucky not being able to play it Space and Slave. They do a fourball matchplay competition starting in winter, so if anyone is brave enough to play with me, very happy to.

Well its in the Top 10 in the country think it was ranked 6th last time I seen it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

Well its in the Top 10 in the country think it was ranked 6th last time I seen it.

European Club is ranked #10 for 2018 and 2019 in The Irish Golfer Magazine Top 100 Irish Course Rankings

Of course other rankings may place it differently..

Advertisement