Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BREXIT - The impact on importing cars?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭corvus4906

Isambard wrote: »
    yes , it's the date of import that matters. In any event the date is looking more likely to be May22nd now

I hope that's right too.

1 question though... how do you officially capture a 'date of import' as there's no really way to prove when you drove it across the border.

Do we know for sure they take the date of VRT appointment or something?

Date of sale seems odd because that doesn't prove you brought it across the border the same day.

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

corvus4906 wrote: »
    I hope that's right too.

1 question though... how do you officially capture a 'date of import' as there's no really way to prove when you drove it across the border.

Do we know for sure they take the date of VRT appointment or something?

Date of sale seems odd because that doesn't prove you brought it across the border the same day.
    For cars from NI I think they presume the date of import is the date of purchase on the invoice, and if it isn't then you have to prove that the car was kept somewhere in NI until the date you really did import it.

awec wrote: »
    For cars from NI I think they presume the date of import is the date of purchase on the invoice, and if it isn't then you have to prove that the car was kept somewhere in NI until the date you really did import it.

Hope that's true so :)

Bizarre to me that Revenue can give you an estimated quote for an exact model car but then (in my case) say "oh we actually use a different system which that car is not on". They should really use the same system and remove the additional bottleneck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,183 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Bizarre to me that Revenue can give you an estimated quote for an exact model car but then (in my case) say "oh we actually use a different system which that car is not on". They should really use the same system and remove the additional bottleneck.

You had the VRT appointment so they examined the car and can confirm that you imported it into the state. There’s hardly any stronger evidence.

Marcusm wrote: »
    You had the VRT appointment so they examined the car and can confirm that you imported it into the state. There’s hardly any stronger evidence.

100% agree but still dubious and won't believe I'm in the clear till and it's paid. Have zero faith in the system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

awec wrote: »

nowadays they look at when the UK tax on it ran out and assume that was the date of import apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭hotrodder

nowadays they look at when the UK tax on it ran out and assume that was the date of import apparently.

That can't be the case as a lot of garages have cars with tax that expired months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭newmember2

It's already been said, the date of import is taken as the day of sale unless you have some acceptable documentation to prove otherwise like an invoice for storage fees, ferry tickets, etc.

hotrodder wrote: »
    That can't be the case as a lot of garages have cars with tax that expired months ago.

they have a special arrangement. They don't have to pay VRT until the car is sold

(to make it clear, my post is for cars from Northern Ireland where there isn't a ferry ticket obviously).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

hotrodder wrote: »

Garages that are TAN holders are not subjected to penalties and can keep cars on their forecourt for months.

This is the case if proof of shipping/invoice wasn't provided.

Anyone who is currently still waiting to hear back with the price, you shouldn't incur penalties, they will amend it when you're returning to pay. Backlog at the moment is 4/5 weeks.

• Advertisement

It is the same system(provided you're only using the Ros.ie calculator) , but certain types of cars at a certain age will always go to Revenue for manual valuation.

michellie wrote: »

This is the case if proof of shipping/invoice wasn't provided.

In deed it is, my comment was directed at people who think they can us the old "bought it in NI" ruse (when the car in fact has been in the Republic for years) and get away with it. They are wise to that one.

In deed it is, my comment was directed at people who think they can us the old "bought it in NI" ruse (when the car in fact has been in the Republic for years) and get away with it. They are wise to that one.

Yes this ! Still many people trying that!

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

They definitely don't check the tax for NI imports. Imported a NI car last week, UK tax was out for ages.

The VRT form has a box you fill in for date of import. If the date of import, or the purchase date on the invoice is more than 30 days ago you need to provide proof that the car was imported at a date later than the purchase date. If it's within 30 days then no questions asked.

This is with an invoice from a motor dealer. Not sure what they would do if you turned up with a made up invoice from a private seller in NI.

obviously no need for them to be checking if there is other supporting documents. It's the guys who are claiming the car came from NI when it had been in their possesion for years they will check for.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭mickey15ie

Morning all,

I am in a similar case and would be good if anyone knows the answer to the below.

I am living in the UK since 2010, i bought a car in Feb 2018. I have met the 6 months for owning a car over here. under current conditions i would not be liable for any VRT, VAT or custom duty.

But i am moving back on the first week of June 2019, what will be the situation then?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nobody can answer that because we don't know how Brexit will play out yet. The landscape is literally changing every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

mickey15ie wrote: »
    Morning all,

I am in a similar case and would be good if anyone knows the answer to the below.

I am living in the UK since 2010, i bought a car in Feb 2018. I have met the 6 months for owning a car over here. under current conditions i would not be liable for any VRT, VAT or custom duty.

But i am moving back on the first week of June 2019, what will be the situation then?

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/reliefs-and-exemptions/transfer-of-residence.aspx

transfer of residence is not connected to the EU, people sometimes bring back cars from the US, Dubai or Australia. So you should be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

But he could be liable for VAT and customs duty on the car as the UK could be outside the EU by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

bazz26 wrote: »
    But he could be liable for VAT and customs duty on the car as the UK could be outside the EU by then.
    Not if it is a Transfer of Residence importation.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »

No charges, the TOR covers all of that. Non EU TORs are dealt with through a seperate section, not the usual local revenue office.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭adunis

Vat on purchase + shipping plus cousins duty
    Then pay the vrt ?
    21%+10%+vrt
    Just like a US IMPORT ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

In practice that’s unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭adunis

Pray tell why ?,when the tossers crash out they won't be in the EU

adunis wrote: »
    Vat on purchase + shipping plus cousins duty
    Then pay the vrt ?
    21%+10%+vrt
    Just like a US IMPORT ?

VAT is 23% not 21%
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    In practice that’s unlikely.

Without an agreement for a transition or an ongoing customs arrangement with the U.K., Ireland will have no choice. Most favoured nations clauses in other agreements will mean that the U.K. cannot be treated better while there is no actual agreement. That may mean that there is an interregnum after a crash our/no deal until a deal is (eventually) made.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

VAT is 23% not 21%

Without an agreement for a transition or an ongoing customs arrangement with the U.K., Ireland will have no choice. Most favoured nations clauses in other agreements will mean that the U.K. cannot be treated better while there is no actual agreement. That may mean that there is an interregnum after a crash our/no deal until a deal is (eventually) made.

Vat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Mooooo wrote: »
    Vat

It's spelled VAT.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Vat

Value added tax is conventionally shortened to VAT; otherwise it could be misconstrued as referring to a vessel for storing liquid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

adunis wrote: »
    Pray tell why ?,when the tossers crash out they won't be in the EU

Why are they "tossers" ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Value added tax is conventionally shortened to VAT; otherwise it could be misconstrued as referring to a vessel for storing liquid.

Battery died as I went to edit. Commercial vehicles if I'm correct will have to pay uk VAT buying as well as Irish VAT when importing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement