Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Titans - DC Universe [Streaming]

• 03-12-2017 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭

First look at Robin from the upcoming Titans series on DC's upcoming streaming service.
    We’re getting a first look at Titans star Brenton Thwaites suited up as Dick Grayson (aka Robin) in the upcoming DC superhero series from Akiva Goldsman, Geoff Johns, Sarah Schechter and Warner Bros TV

Written by Goldsman, DC Entertainment’s Johns and Berlanti, Titans follows a group of young soon-to-be superheroes recruited from every corner of the DC Universe. In the action-adventure series, Dick Grayson (Thwaites) emerges from the shadows to become the leader of a fearless band of new heroes that includes Starfire (Anna Diop), Raven (Teagan Croft) and others.

The Robin super suit was designed by renowned costume designer Laura Jean Shannon, whose credits include Black Lightning, Iron Man and The Jungle Book, among others.

Titans is slated to premiere in 2018 as part of the inaugural slate of a new DC-branded direct-to-consumer digital service

titans_robin-first-look-final.jpg?w=599&h=400

http://deadline.com/2017/12/titans-brenton-thwaites-robin-dc-superhero-series-fphoto-1202218594/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

http://comicbook.com/dc/amp/2018/04/11/titans-first-look-live-action-beast-boy-raven/

Set pics of Raven, Starfire and Beast Boy.
    I guess expect official promo pics in the next day or 2 to try and deal with the negative reactions

Doom Patrol has just been announced as a spin off of Titans. The team will be introduced in episode five of Titans.
    http://tvline.com/2018/05/14/doom-patrol-tv-series-ordered-dc-universe-titans/

The Doom Patrol’s members each suffered horrible accidents that gave them superhuman abilities — but also left them scarred and disfigured. Traumatized and downtrodden, the team found purpose through The Chief, who brought them together to investigate the weirdest phenomena in existence — and to protect Earth from what they find. Part support group, part Super Hero team, the Doom Patrol is a band of super-powered freaks who fight for a world that wants nothing to do with them. Picking up after the events of Titans, Doom Patrol will find these reluctant heroes in a place they never expected to be, called to action by none other than Cyborg, who comes to them with a mission hard to refuse, but with a warning that is hard to ignore: their lives will never, ever be the same.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Doom Patrol has just been announced as a spin off of Titans. The team will be introduced in episode five of Titans.

Ah DC, have ye not learned? Wait and see if people dig the Titans series first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Looks........ totally sh1t :confused: Wasn't expecting much. What I did expect, seemingly turned out to be too much. Jesus. Starfire and Best Boy look bloody awful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well, could be the trailer but that looks horrendous. All the dreary 'grit' of the Synder films, with none of the pretension, yet an extra helping of TV cheese.

"F*ck batman"

Ooh, what an edgelord. :rolleyes: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Thought the dialogue led to some interesting possibilities but yes the effects are poor and Beast Boy/Starfire look bad. hopefully this fixes itself with time.

I just hope DC haven't jumped into this service without having the financial clout to back it up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Marvel have the advantage of being under the Disney umbrella, whose own streaming service (whenever that transpires) will be very enticing given the myriad of properties that'll be available aside from the MCU.

DC though, that service so far just looks ... thin. A scarcely loved live-action universe, peppered with animated features IIRC. Feels a much more niche proposition in a market quickly flooding.

Actually, do we even know if DC Universe will be available in Ireland?

pixelburp wrote: »

Just checked the dc universe site and its only available in the US

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

This looks cheap.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Marvel have the advantage of being under the Disney umbrella, whose own streaming service (whenever that transpires) will be very enticing given the myriad of properties that'll be available aside from the MCU.

DC though, that service so far just looks ... thin. A scarcely loved live-action universe, peppered with animated features IIRC. Feels a much more niche proposition in a market quickly flooding.

Not even that, at least Marvel had the wherewithal to use Netflix as a partner to bring their small screen prestige projects to life.

DC have a good thing going with the CW to a lesser degree so I can understand their ambition to go solo, but only if the money is there.

One thing that is a no brainer is that they should partner up with someone like Netflix to bring their content across the pond.

Yup; it's still not clear what'll happen to Luke Cage et al when the Disney service starts up, but you'd have thought the smarter play for DC was to partner up with an existing Streaming service, be it Netflix, Amazon, whoever. Especially outside of America (as CBS has done with their new Star Trek, or CW with a plethora of their own shows).

Their confidence that there's an audience willing to shell out ANOTHER 6/7/8 quid a month for even less content than other services seems ... misplaced. I have been wondering who'll be the next Yahoo Screen in the great Streaming Wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I watched the trailer twice last night on YT. A show like Titans is catered for the adult audience which is portrayed at the opposite end of the comic book genre as opposed to the 2 animated shows; but this new version of Titans does seem to be lacking from a visual perspective. The amount of violence in it can put people off from seeing it on screen when the first episode of the series gets eventually aired on the service.

It would appear that DC are trying way too hard to be relevant with this trailer to date. It is not giving me reasonable levels of excitement when compared to a show like seeing Gotham or The Flash. We do see glimpses of Star Fire & Beast Boy along with most of the screen time devoted to both Robin & Raven.

The tone of this trailer is really dark which should be given with an ounce of caution for many fans out there. Shows like Titans must not be seen to fail if the visuals do not match up with the level of excitement for the fans when discussing dialogue. Many fans probably would not prefer to see shows that have too much of one thing compared with too much of the other when looking at visuals. They would prefer to see a balance within shows that makes them say Yeah I like this. The fans reactions of the trailers YT & probably elsewhere online did not like to see a show that was too dark with gritty tones. They preferred to see something that was a lot better than what the trailer had offered.

What DC needs to do with the show when talking about trailers & episodes of Titans is that they need to strike a right balance to make them more realistic to allow more people like the show. From where I am standing now; is does appear that Titans is a show to be at the complete opposite of what it is being asked to do. And that is not good if it is being offered to be too dark.

The casting of Starfire seems so strange to me visually (and I'm not talking about ethnicity more the overall look). Can only assume the actress knocked her auditions out of the park.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Saw an interview with Geoff Johns recently where he was trying to do a bit of damage control. He said the trailer was just a specific part of the series where they're all in a dark place and isn't representative of the series as a whole.

Not sure I believe that, as this is a trailer to get people in. This is what the producers thought people wanted to see.

If it wasn't representative, then why would they have run with that specific subset of scenes and moments? Knowing too the grimdark approach isn't exactly flavour of the month; and if the tone changes, that'll only make this edgelord stuff all the more jarring.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hopefully "not representative" means it's a dream sequence with a completely different tone, look and script writers to the rest of the show. :o

If he officially said those things to the media before it begins on DC Universe in August. I don't know whether the start for launching this show for the service will become good or bad for it's future direction. For DC to put out Titans 1st trailer as a way to entice fans online to come to the new streaming service; it has had a very mixed reaction right at it's very beginning. The trailer for the show has made the fans think that Titans is meant to be described as dark & brooding as it was thought to be the intended direction of tone for the 1st season onwards. But now as we hear news that it's tone may be a little lighter; it may change the fans initial ideas of the show that it was not meant to be dark & brooding as intended. Now it appears it is meant to be something else a little more adult than Riverdale if this was the original intention as we thought before.

A lot of the comments made about the trailer online seemed to suggest that people who watched the trailer were not going to sign up to watch the show at all because the content from it has made that intention for DC to be a much more riskier bet that what has been expected. Geoff Johns appears to have exacerbated the issue of the trailer into something that was only going to a minor part of the show's overall tone. His comments going from his interview here may have doused the flames somewhat from the trailer's initial online reaction. But I don't know how far his comments will go until the the pilot airs on the service in August. If some fans make some effort to watch the first few episodes from the pilot onwards; it might the change the initial perception from bad to being good for once which could be seen as a big success for DC. It could mark beginning their entry to the streaming market to be successful with Titans supporting it's other shows into the future. But it all depends on how many other fans sign up to the service as a whole. It's other new shows could also become a success to DC as well but we have to wait & see on that.

Some news from Twitter.

https://twitter.com/TheDCUniverse/status/1034952345333858304

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1034952220612149248

The DC Universe app launch date is the 15th of September.

Titans will launch on DC Universe from the 12th of October. The new episodes for it will be shown every Friday.

• Advertisement

It appears that Netflix will be the place for an international release for all of DC Universe's show's for fans living outside the U.S.
    According to a new rumor, backed up by the reliable @DanielRPK, Warner Bros. and DC may be putting their DC Universe shows on Netflix for international fans. Netflix is available in over 190 countries, and there’s probably a good chance that you’re already a subscriber too. If this rumor turns out to be true, it’d be a huge win for international DC fans.

This will also include Titans if the rumor turns out to be accurate.

https://batman-news.com/2018/09/08/dc-universe-shows-like-titans-may-come-to-netflix-for-intentional-fans/

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Netflix the home of DC & Marvel Universes.

Nice win and selling point for Netflix.

Well that has probably guaranteed a sizeable audience now, if for no other reason than blind curiosity will have folks tune in to see if it's as bad as the trailer suggests. Given Netflix's fondness for buying shovelware at top dollar, I imagine DC did well out of this deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I still can't help thinking it's gonna be.....

But if Netflix are gonna get all that channel's new content including new Young Justice then boo-yah :)

Dick Grayson meets Jason Todd.

Yup this teaser has just proven why I don't want to watch this.

https://twitter.com/DCUTitans/status/1041023845652684806

Weird thing about that clip is that it makes Batman look like a jealous oul creepo. Doesn't look like Dick has left him all that long and Bruce has already replaced him with a younger lookalike in Jason.

So now I'm confused; this latest trailer's tone is way different & more lighthearted; the 'minivan' joke alone jars with the previous trailer and the whole "f*ck batman" attitude:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The Doom Patrol series have signed up a big TV name to star in Matt Bomer to star as Negative Man.

• Advertisement

It's not totally terrible although the episode is a tough watch.

I hope it will find it's feet in the coming episodes so I'll give it a few more.

Advertisement