Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plans for 2020

• 27-12-2019 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,030 ✭✭✭✭

A new decade. Hope to build new milking parlour. Also need to make more time for me. Need to put in a few new roadways. Glad 2019 is nearly over. What are your plans for 2020?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Hope to give up the cows, getting too old for this dairying lark, life’s too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Hope to make my own carbon fertilizer and treat it with minerals and microbes and if all goes well maybe put it in the soil into the anaerobic layer to deepen the soil. Otherwise it'll be applied on top.

Wheels are in motion.

#keepitinteresting

• Registered Users Posts: 29,030 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Hope to give up the cows, getting too old for this dairying lark, life’s too short.

What age are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Hopefully finish the house. Wanted it finished for Christmas but the electrician/plumber had other ideas!
    Few bits to be done aswell. Bitta fencing and drainage.
    We’ll get there in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭visatorro

Hopefully finish the house. Wanted it finished for Christmas but the electrician/plumber had other ideas!
    Few bits to be done aswell. Bitta fencing and drainage.
    We’ll get there in the end.

You'll only be finished the house and she'll want the kitchen changed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

visatorro wrote: »
    You'll only be finished the house and she'll want the kitchen changed!

Ah, but I’ve that figured out already.
    I left the kitchen till last!
    Down there for dancing, Visatorro!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

New cubicle shed, handling crush, holiday away this year. Not necessarily in that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Old crush is away from the new sheds and is getting weak , started to dig for new one there is bit of work involved , old low cubicle shed roof is poor I’m taking down and having new crush at back of main house .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭memorystick

Hang gates and fence. Install water troughs. Have to get in ESB into new shed. Put in base for bales. Buy slurry tanker. Loose weight and get back at running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Start an Apprenticeship if i head home hopefully. Starting a new job out here in early january moneys not as good but should be an improvement of quality of life with the option to stay long term (visas provided as well). Looking likely ill be heading home though in the first half of the year and im absolutely dreading it, mad the way i could head off to this side of the world in a heartbeat nearly three years ago and the thoughts of heading home even for a holiday gives me the shivers nearly nowadays.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Try to take over the world.
    Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Very clear targets here.

Farm:
    A walk around from ag advisor to make farm fully compliant for inspections
    Cut Cattle numbers.
    Make decision on breed of cattle(probably Irish moiled)

Work;
    Get slightly more organized.
    Learn a small bit on programming to make students life easier.

Personal;
    Mind self- make time to allow me to walk/run. (Target 2020km)
    Get rid of credit union loan (8k left)
    De clutter house( already started)

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Farm
    Finish what I started with a wet 2 acre field earlier this year. All drains have been sorted so get the heaps of timber and bushes separated for firewood and burn the rest. Then reseed.
    Never done here before but hedges to be cut and tidied up.
    Last of the fencing to be completed to make place 100% stock proof.
    Replace fence around open slurry pit.
    Increase slightly cattle numbers during summer months.
    Work
    Took over where I worked this year so just consolidate the business this coming year.
    Look at possibility of taking on an extra person.
    Pay myself a bit more !
    Self
    Loose a few pounds.
    Keep as much time as possible for wife and 2 kids.
    Thats nearly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Start an Apprenticeship if i head home hopefully. Starting a new job out here in early january moneys not as good but should be an improvement of quality of life with the option to stay long term (visas provided as well). Looking likely ill be heading home though in the first half of the year and im absolutely dreading it, mad the way i could head off to this side of the world in a heartbeat nearly three years ago and the thoughts of heading home even for a holiday gives me the shivers nearly nowadays.
    Mind me asking how old are you starting an apprenticeship?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Farm;
    Forestry has to get it's first thinning towards the end of the year
    Re-seed 12 acres with a red clover rye grass mix
    Family;
    Get a new passport and do a bit of travelling
    Self;
    Look after the health a bit better than I've been doing.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

More cows, more milk solids, more roadways and more concrete

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭einn32

Get out of agriculture as a full time job. Enjoy life and family. Put some money into myself. I need to get my teeth sorted and get into the gym again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Finish and tidy up a couple of jobs in January. New pit for second cut and roof the topless cubicles.alot of my thinking is going into reducing work and hassle. Fencing and a good bit of concrete in a yardthats always covered in muck.kinda reached my number s cow wise ,might have passed it.looking at the irish dairy farmer magazine and definitely have no appetite for some of the stuff lads are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Get some roadways done and reseed 20 to 30 acres. Hope to put some plans together for yard development, cubicle shed, parlour and silage pits, some existing sheds need reroofing also. Will be up approx 25 cows this year. Will look into contract rearing also as a way of hopefully increasing output without much extra labour

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭straight

Install calf feeder, upgrade paddock water system, maybe make some money this year with a bit of luck. Need to get away from the farm a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Mooooo wrote: »
    Get some roadways done and reseed 20 to 30 acres. Hope to put some plans together for yard development, cubicle shed, parlour and silage pits, some existing sheds need reroofing also. Will be up approx 25 cows this year. Will look into contract rearing also as a way of hopefully increasing output without much extra labour
    We went contract rearing last year for the first time ever. Delighted with the stock, they're better again than what we ever did with them and they were a poor bunch if weanlings that was sent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

More cows, more milk solids, more roadways and more concrete

Spoken like a true Irish dairy farmer.
    More
    More
    More.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Gods Gift wrote: »
    More
    More
    More.

Jezz we have a somewhat ambitious farmer among us here and all you wanna do is knock him back, fair play to him because I know there are enough negative farmers who have no interest in pushing anything on (or alternatively lazy farmers like me who just aren't as pushed lol). And that last line brings me onto my 2020 plans, keep going largely as I am ha, get back up to 2018 cow numbers while still improving efficiency, keep up the hired labour (hopefully 2 parttime Labour units for most of calving season, then one rest the year), alongside continuing to take a back seat myself on the day to day running of the farm, and building on my off farm income streams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭visatorro

Not expanding herd size here. Cutting numbers. But it's not a negative approach. Cutting alot of deadwood.
    Building wise iv plans but I'll be doing well getting anything more done.
    I need a couple of new lanes though. Other than that stay afloat! Hope that the different challenges facing Irish farming don't finish alot of people off.

Iv to lose a stone or two aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭Odelay

Gods Gift wrote: »
    More
    More
    More.

That’s how they got to be dairy farmers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Rent more land on the cheap
    Reduce the Suckler cow numbers/ sell empty cows before mid Feb.
    Reduce Silage bill if possible or else charge more for any fodder leaving the farm
    Put up a new Holding pen on outside farm
    Re-fence/Stock proof some boundaries
    Put down more permanent Electric fence
    New set of shoes for the Tractor
    New Bull
    Try and make more Hay that I can store and use for a long term feed buffer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

My sisters husband gifted me about 50 small trees, oak and sitka spruce, rooted.
    Its extremely windy here but im gonna chance planting them in sheltered south facing spots, if 10 are growing by 2021 I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Trial a new reed canary grass/phacelia/fodder radish crop. Dig out another pond. Recondition a section of degraded nettle bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

@KollegeKnoght
    "Work;
    Get slightly more organized.
    Learn a small bit on programming to make students life easier."

Did the same myself recently. Look into BBC Microbits, very easy to use, drag and drop blocks and all online with free software. Downside a little on the expensive side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

Farm
    Tidy the place up a bit more, few gutters, downpipes need sorting.
    Wire up lights into a small slatted shed and yard.
    Man-basket for front loader
    Hang more gates
    Plumb permanent water troughs into the new cubicles.

Off farm
    Getting married in the backend
    Finish front yard around my house
    Hopefully change the car budget allowing
    Continue gym work nd weightloss by getting back on the road bike when the weather picks up.

Advertisement