Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin neighbouring towns - where would you buy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Mtk2018 wrote: »
    Hi, if you had a choice to buy in Kildare, Meath, Wicklow, Louth any of Dublin neighbouring counties or towns , where would you buy and why?
    Budget= 310K
    Max acceptable commute time = 1.10 hours to Dublin city center
    Thank you for any feedback

If you wanted to get to stephens green for 9am on an average tuesday in 1.1 hours then the furthest out you could live would probably be inside the m50.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I live within 15 minutes or so from Dublin City centre, so I am really not the best person to advise.

HOWEVER.... my nephew and his wife moved from rental in Churchtown to Kildare Town two years ago. He works in IFSC and she works in Naas.

The train station is a five minute walk for nephew. He says he gets into the city much quicker now, and wife obviously has a shorter commute by car from Kildare to Naas than from Churchtown to Naas.

Just a thought. They got a lovely house for 285k four bed at the time.

Important to have good commuting links I think. Best of luck in your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭shamtastic

Naas has been mentioned quite a bit (which I agree with, it's lovely) but Newbridge is a good option also. They both share the same bus and rail routes so they are equally well connected to Dublin. I think trains from Heuston are much less delay prone than those to Drogheda etc. from Connolly / Pearse and the journey time / distance ratio probably more favourable due to not sharing the line with the DART.

Naas is great for restaurants and pubs but the town centre has actually been struggling due to all the retail parks.

By Irish town standards, Newbridge is superb for retail. To name but a few it has a big Penneys, Whitewater Shopping Centre (largest regional SC in Ireland I think), and a recently renovated and enlarged Dunnes. They are all modern and pleasant buildings. Most importantly they are all right in the town centre itself so the main street is always fairly busy and lively. Kildare Village is a few minutes away also. With the redevelopment of St Conleth's Park stadium (also bang in the middle of the town) hopefully they can add a bit more life to that end of the street. I believe a bypass or relief road to ease traffic from the Naas side has been discussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭ Nyla Hundreds Joyrider

New dunnes going into the center of naas should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Sono

How could anyone suggest commuting from Kilkenny/Offaly to Dublin City centre, that is absolute madness.

I live in north Dublin and commute door to door is 50mins and that is just about ok I find. Anything more than an hour would be a right pain.

Dunboyne is a nice place to live with a train service into the city centre which should be considered OP, not sure you’d get much for €310k but possibly.

Some people on here must love a commute because the suggestions by some are gas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Its important to look at train timetables when choosing a commute, for example Newbridge is 45km from Dublin which is a fair distance. However it has a few direct non-stop trains a day to Hueston that take only 24 minutes. This means that while Newbridge is further away it can be a quicker commute than any of the other Kildare towns like Naas, Maynooth, Leixlip, etc. Also there is a certain relaxation about commuting on a direct train over one that is constantly stop-starting.

Its also important to think about proximity and access to the train station. For example if you lived in Drogheda getting to the station will involve traffic for anyone coming from the northside of the town. Same in the evenings to get out of the station car park, there are often long tail backs and then when you do get out you are directly into heavy traffic on the Dublin Road. Stations with bad access can easily add another 40-60 minutes onto your commute every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

Sono wrote: »
    Some people on here must love a commute because the suggestions by some are gas!

I've also noticed a lot people with ridiculously long commutes tend to lie about how long it takes, how much it costs, and how draining it is.

It's like they are trying to convince themselves they haven't made a terrible decision.

The numbers rarely add up - especially for those commuting by car.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,555 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

bluelamp wrote: »
    I've also noticed a lot people with ridiculously long commutes tend to lie about how long it takes, how much it costs, and how draining it is.

It's like they are trying to convince themselves they haven't made a terrible decision.

Yup notice this too, anyone that touches the M50 and spouting figures of less than 30-90 minutes depending on length and direction are just fooling themselves, unless they're working shifts/flexi etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Aaron15

How do you know people are lying about the commute? If you've never done the commute, people here Google mapping things to get an estimated time from A-B, when has Google maps ever been correct? And when has anyone ever stuck to speed limits, if you're telling me people stick to 100km on a motor way you are kidding yourself , go up the m7 on any day and you'll see the average commuter hitting 120-150.

How do you know people are lying about the commute? If you've never done the commute, people here Google mapping things to get an estimated time from A-B, when has Google maps ever been correct? And when has anyone ever stuck to speed limits, if you're telling me people stick to 100km on a motor way you are kidding yourself , go up the m7 on any day and you'll see the average commuter hitting 120-150.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Aaron15 wrote: »

In my experience by listening to them on a daily basis and doing some maths. They get a bus at 730, they get to the office at 840 and you know they have a drive to get to the bus yet their commute is "only an hour". etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,555 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

sly dig at me?

I actually do a very similar commute to the one I contested. Greystones to Dundrum and am often between Wicklow Town and Bray so I know the commute well.

Also yes Google maps is wrong for me most of the time but it's usually under-estimates. When I use it, I either arrive at the time it says or I arrive after, never do I arrive 50% quicker than it.

Wasn't telling anyone to stick to 100km, just to stick to the speed limit. If you get to 120-150 on the N11 at commuting times I'd be buying a lotto ticket (may not live long enough to enough it though).

Google maps is incredibly accurate - and it doesn't need to lie to convince me of things.

sly dig at me?

I actually do a very similar commute to the one I contested. Greystones to Dundrum and am often between Wicklow Town and Bray so I know the commute well.

Also yes Google maps is wrong for me most of the time but it's usually under-estimates. When I use it, I either arrive at the time it says or I arrive after, never do I arrive 50% quicker than it.

Wasn't telling anyone to stick to 100km, just to stick to the speed limit. If you get to 120-150 on the N11 at commuting times I'd be buying a lotto ticket (may not live long enough to enough it though).

Sly dig? What do you mean by that, not sky digging anyone, I just don't understand why people are quick to jump on people saying that the commute can't take how ever long, they do it day in day out, they'd no.

There is defintely something in this. Even the other day I read one of those money diary articles on the Journal. The writer had given up renting in Dublin for €1500 to rent in Mullingar for €1000 a month. Then reading through their diary their fuel costs were c€300 per month so a saving of €200 a month but not accounting for extra wear & tear on the car nor the 12 hours a week on the commute. In the case of the writer they intend moving job to Mullingar and buying a house there so it will work out for them in the end. But an awful lot of people commute from far away and will always be working in Dublin. They convince themselves they are saving money on rent but if you add up all the hidden costs of commuting and the detriment of your health/family life it is often better to locate yourself somewhere closer to Dublin even if it means paying more for the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Sono

100% agree with this post, people definitely try and upsell their location as opposed to living in dublin when the reality is they aren’t saving much on travel and certainly spending a lot more time commuting, I value my time a lot more than the small savings people might make to live outside of the capital.

• Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is this people who commute at 3am?

Any time I've been on the M7 at rush hour I've got nowhere near 120 until you're well into Kildare.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    They convince themselves they are saving money on rent but if you add up all the hidden costs of commuting and the detriment of your health/family life it is often better to locate yourself somewhere closer to Dublin even if it means paying more for the property.

Absolutely. Especially if you're in a role that's unlikely to exist outside of Dublin.

How much does 40 years commuting cost? A hell of a lot more than than the price difference between a house in Laois and a house in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

I said my husbands commute was 40min. Wicklow town to clonskeagh. Here's a screen shot while I'm sat in my house in Wicklow. No exaggeration made by me. I also said that he doesn't work 9-5.

Of course its more beneficial to live in Dublin.
    But the banks will only offer you 3.5 times your salary.
    You will struggle to get a decent house in Dublin for less than 300K. House prices in Dublin are also based on location and are often houses that require a lot of work / money.
    A couple both earning the average wage can afford a property for 286K approx.
    So more people looked at commuter towns like Leixlip, Cellbridge, Maynooth, Ratoath, Ashourne.
    Now they have filled up and are close to Dublin prices so people are forced to look at the rest of Leinster.

Unfortunately most companies frown upon working from home. And thousands travel to the city to do a job that could be carried out from home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭C3PO

2013Lara wrote: »
    I said my husbands commute was 40min. Wicklow town to clonskeagh. Here's a screen shot while I'm sat in my house in Wicklow. No exaggeration made by me. I also said that he doesn't work 9-5.

That's a 90km round trip .... 450kms per week ... just to get to and from work!! and 8 hours a week (at best) that he's never getting back!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

C3PO wrote: »
    That's a 90km round trip .... 450kms per week ... just to get to and from work!! and 8 hours a week (at best) that he's never getting back!!

When we actually lived in Shankill and he worked in stillorgan, it took him longer to get to and from work on the bus (walking to bus, waiting on bus, on bus and walking to work) than it does now for him door to door in the car. 40mins doesn't bother him in the slightest.

Unfortunately most companies frown upon working from home. And thousands travel to the city to do a job that could be carried out from home.

Its a major problem really. Ive a mate who was snowed in for almost two weeks during the storm last year and his employer (a IFSC based American MNC) gave permission to log in and work from home. Once it was known it was possible to do their work remotely other staff asked could they work from home one day a week. The answer was a firm no, they had to be in the office 5 days a week. It was fine for a storm but not otherwise...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Maynooth is my favourite of those areas . It is definitely worth a look.

Agree. Was there a few months back. Lovely spot.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Its a major problem really. Ive a mate who was snowed in for almost two weeks during the storm last year and his employer (a IFSC based American MNC) gave permission to log in and work from home. Once it was known it was possible to do their work remotely other staff asked could they work from home one day a week. The answer was a firm no, they had to be in the office 5 days a week. It was fine for a storm but not otherwise...

Imagine if every office allowed employees 2 days a month even to work from home. Less traffic on the roads every day and a little break for employees from commuting those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭C3PO

Imagine if every office allowed employees 2 days a month even to work from home. Less traffic on the roads every day and a little break for employees from commuting those days.

More and more companies are allowing (even encouraging) this now! My employer has even given me a two screen PC set-up for my home! I now work remotely at least one day every two weeks and find it really productive!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

My previous employer encouraged it as a way to save on office rental! Didn't have the space for even 60% of the workforce. Had 40% WFH and was offered 100% when I resigned.

Personally I find motivation goes bad after too many days in a row from home but heavily flexible rather than full time working from home didn't suffer the same issues

C3PO wrote: »

Don't understand this, how long would it take you to get to work? What does it matter how many KMs it's taking , if they're doing it in 40 mins, seems like a pretty reasonable time to get to and from work for me.

• Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

40 mins is not a bad commute at all, pretty reasonable.

It's just when people claim they live in the likes of Newbridge and claim their commute is 40 mins that the bull**** alarm goes off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

2013Lara wrote: »

Midmorning or early afternoon- aren't exactly a fair and reasonable depiction of how long it is likely to take someone to make a similar trip- other than at off-peak times when traffic is virtually non-existent..........

Advertisement