Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xbox 2 Pictures

Options
  • 06-03-2005 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

HERE IS THE INTERVIEW OF THE XBOX 2

I ALSO HAVE PICTURE SENT IN ANNOMUSLY, CHECK THEM OUT!! :)

Trip Hawkins Interview

Trip Hawkins is the founder of the largest publisher, Electronic Arts. He even came up with the popular Madden series. He also found 3DO and released his own game console. Recently he made another new company, Digital-Chocolate. This time however, he will be making games for mobile phones. And for those wondering, he hasn't been with EA for some time now so don't say you don't like him because of EA.

Something that was on people's minds before, though not as talked about currently, is that the next-gen systems will bring an increase in game prices. Currently, we do see some premium titles but we mostly see the price at $49.99. Do you feel an overall price increase in games will come with the next-gen consoles?
    I don’t think prices will go up, in part because gamers can always rent the games.

One change that we will be seeing with games is in regards to sports' licensing. EA now has the exclusive rights to the NFL and Take-Two has the exclusive rights to the MLB (with exception of 1'st party publishers). Being the creator of the top-selling Madden series, how do you think this exclusive licensing will affect the future of sports games?
    There have always been a lot of exclusive licenses and sometimes the publisher cuts some corners or gets a bit lazy and the quality goes down. But there are plenty of examples where that doesn’t happen, so we should all hold out hope that quality is maintained.

With the next Xbox planned for release prior to Nintendo's and Sony's next systems, the cost of implementing a next-gen media format (HD-DVD or Blu-Ray) would be expensive. What do you think if Xbox 2 used the standard DVD format instead of high definition?
    Personally, I don’t think this is an important distinction. But maybe some early adopters will care about this and at least initially sway market share. HD will only be relevant in the long run if applications like football use it effectively to enable you to see more of the field. But I think the players are already on information overload as it is.

While on the subject of console hardware, what do think about hard drives in consoles? On message boards, people have expressed that their reason for purchasing an Xbox was due to the hard drive and that the will only purchase Xbox 2 if it contains a hard drive. Could they be the future of consoles?
    Historically, new consoles have launched at prices like $299 and $199. If the platform maker can afford a hard drive and hit those prices then they will become a standard feature. But I think it was pretty painful for Microsoft on the first Xbox and it is not unreasonable to treat it as an upgrade add-on.

We have seen a couple of game companies go under in just this generation of systems (including your own 3DO). Do you see it getting harder for companies to make it, as production costs increase?
    Console game publishing has become more like theatrical release film-making and it is very hard if you are not one of the major publishers, and even for them it is hard unless they are working with major game brands. It is very unfortunate that it is now very hard to innovate because of the cost-structure.

EA has made its way to the top. Are there any publishers that you see rising up in the future and possibly taking over "the top spot?"
    The candidates would be EA, Sony, Microsoft, and Konami. But any big change is more likely to result if there is a disruptive event such as new technologies or platforms that have a surprising effect on market share.

What do you think about Nintendo's future? People have commented that they should focus only on portable systems in the future.
    My magic eight ball says they will be acquired by Microsoft within five years.

We have heard about at least two companies being sued for work conditions-EA and VU. Do you think this may improve or will we start hearing more about this in the future?
    Yeah, we’ve all heard about EA Spouse! It’s a tough problem on both sides. Hollywood has some of the same issues and of course has been unionized for quite some time. Outsourcing is going to be another factor in this story. Lower labor costs and tax benefits have, for example, caused publishers like EA, UbiSoft, and others to move more production to Canada. Digital Chocolate has 60% of its developers in Finland where the sun never sets in the summer and there is nothing to do outside in the winter, so we are very productive! ;-)

Do you think online gaming will play a big part with the next-gen systems or will it still be in an "early phase?"
    Online console gaming will continue to grow at a healthy pace. It makes a lot of sense, because hardcore gamers have the appetite to compete against each other.

Not that long ago, IGN posted an article regarding the lack of original titles. Thinking about games that are in development, the majority are sequels or licensed games based off of a movie or tv show. Do you think we will continue to see a decrease in original titles?
    What original titles? Just kidding. This is a huge problem. As a result, we will continue to see more innovation on the Internet and on mobile phones than on consoles.

To close things up, have you ever had the interest in wanting to create another system?
    Uh, let me think about it… I’ve decided. No! That is like asking me if I want to put my hand on a hot stove again. ;)

A big thanks to Trip Hawkins for taking some time and answering some questions.

SORRY FOR THE BAD QUALITY OF THE PICTURES

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

i personally am a ps2 fan but i might be swayed to microsoft in this next release

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

i hope it looks like the first pic the others are just stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

It probably will be the first one, if any. So these pics are just fans impressions/ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

I think I have seen these pics before, even before the first xbox was out, the first one might be new but I have seen the second and third pic before, ages and ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

They are all fan made renders. The ball one runs on super capacitors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

and also if they were going show off their console would you think they'd use ****ty renders like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I wouldnt count nintendo out of the console race.They know what there doing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

nintendo make games for 5 year olds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I'd have to agree with the first one. The others just look stupid compared to that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Korvanica wrote:

You're ignorant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Korvanica wrote:

Yeah they make a lot of childish games but they make some killers as well, one thing about nintendo though is they juice Mario WAY too much. I hate that fat plumber now, and I used to love all the old nes and snes games. I mean there is a limit to the amount of games you can produce on a ten year old character....

Still though. Point being, they make some great games.

Korvanica wrote:
    LOL SO TRU DAT!

Coz I remember right, playing re4, and blowing zombies brains all over the walls, that I should really leave his type of tomfoolery to kids and play fifa instead with teh grownups...... LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

The dreamcast was not an excellent machine.
    It was a half-cast between a PC, PDA and a console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

SyxPak, you sir are wrong!

The DC was, and still is, a class machine with some of the most original games I've ever seen!!

What originality?? MSR, Space Channel5, Shenmue... etc

I only wish I knew how good it was while it was still alive, maybe if more people did it wouldn't have died so young ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Coz I remember right, playing re4, and blowing zombies brains all over the walls, that I should really leave his type of tomfoolery to kids and play fifa instead with teh grownups...... LOL

Not exactly a valid point, seeing as Nintendo did not make that game. What the original poster said is largely correct - NINTENDO rarely venture into the gory or indeed anyway realistically violent side of games. In fact, have they ever? Its only the 3rd parties. Unless, of course, the original poster meant that the nintendo console produces games for 5 year olds.

And about the dreamcast - how an Earth do you call it a PDA? Was there a belt add on or something you got that we missed out on....? :D

Dreamcast was and pretty much and still is a great machine, they brought us some of the best games ever like Soul Caliber and Shemue, both of which are now excellent and popular games on the Ps2/X-box.

So sad it died so quickly. I know someone who paid about £200 for it to have it reduced to about £75 a week or two after :p - and he'd been saving up for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

SyxPak wrote:
    The dreamcast was not an excellent machine.
    It was a half-cast between a PC, PDA and a console.

Idiot.

It was so much better than PS2, Internet out of the box, (slightly)better graphics, more original games etc. the hype around PS2 was just too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

what you are saying about the graphics is pure bull**** it didnt have a card and processor even half as advanced as the ps2 and wow internet out of the box when u have to pay a ****load for it the ps2 has loads of original games so tht point was useless lol

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Dreamcast was the nuts. I could play 4 player virtual tennis 2 forever. 1 game i loved, but what a game. Also coul caliber was far better than the tekken series put together. Helluva a beat-em-up.
    I hope this will not degenerate into a ps2 versus the world argument. All have ups and downs - i hate people who write a console off because it is not the one they own. Hateful bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Dreamcast was the nuts. I could play 4 player virtual tennis 2 forever. 1 game i loved, but what a game. Also coul caliber was far better than the tekken series put together. Helluva a beat-em-up.
    I hope this will not degenerate into a ps2 versus the world argument. All have ups and downs - i hate people who write a console off because it is not the one they own. Hateful bastards.

here here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Korvanica wrote:

I very rarely slate people but that has to be one of the un-intelligent comments i have ever read, i cant even be bothered naming some of the excellent Nintendo games(which arent for fookin 5 year olds).
    MuppetKnickers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I have a feeling the xbox2 might turn out to be a bit of a white elephant. They're pushing the HDTV aspect an awful lot, but in reality the uptake of HDTV is quite slow. So maybe 1% of potential xbox2 users might benefit from that. Meanwhile the desicion to opt for DVD9 may be a long-term limiting factor. I think they have their priorities hugely wrong on this one. But time will tell.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I have a feeling the xbox2 might turn out to be a bit of a white elephant. They're pushing the HDTV aspect an awful lot, but in reality the uptake of HDTV is quite slow. So maybe 1% of potential xbox2 users might benefit from that. Meanwhile the desicion to opt for DVD9 may be a long-term limiting factor. I think they have their priorities hugely wrong on this one. But time will tell.

In the US HDTV is far more advanced than here. The inclusion of HDTV is a very wise decision as 720p games should enhance the quality of the visual aspect. With Sky launching HDTV in the next couple of years we should see a greater uptake in HDTV sets in Europe.

DVD9 is a no brainer for MS. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are in their infancy and their is no guarentee that there will be significant uptake of these formats during the lifespan of xbox2 (4-5 years from launch). Dual layer DVD9 will give developers more space than they have currently so game development wont suffer. They are just taking a risk with regeards to dvd playback and to be honest I dont think it will hurt them.

Hyzepher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭boy1er1990

I have to admit i do like the first pic but all i know is that it will not look like the 2 or 3rd pic. it might look like the first one i dont know

Ps
    GOOD POINT ABOUT NINTENDO BEING MADE FOR KIDS(5 YEAR OLDS)

pS2 AND XBOX AND ALSO PC'S
    ROCK THIS WORLD!!

If it werent for gta grand theft auto, we would probaly be all dead right now!! true story!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭boy1er1990

I agree xbox graphics at the moment are better than ps2!!!

Thats a fact to EVERYONE around the world!!!

this fact CAN NEVER EVER NEVER!! be destroyed!!!

I got a ps2 xbox and pc
    Best are::

Pc: Games avlabile 10/10, graphics (of games) 10/10 Gameplay 9/10
    Xbox: games avliable 8/10 , graphics 9/10 gameplay 10/10
    Ps2: games avliable 8/10, graphics 8/10 gameplay 9/10

Ps2+graphics: the graphics seem to be fussy on the ps2 and not very claer>
    it has its graphics atmoments_ i will give it that but its very dark and dull at some points, the sound of the ps2 is OK i suppose. you get tired and bored very quick of games on the ps2, where as xbox and pc you could play the same game than ps2 for months longer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

boy1er1990 wrote:
    GOOD POINT ABOUT NINTENDO BEING MADE FOR KIDS(5 YEAR OLDS)

Explain to me how you know this when...
    boy1er1990 wrote:
    I got a ps2 xbox and pc

I assume from the '1990' in your name that you're about 15 years old, so perhaps you could also explain to me why it's generally the older users who are the strongest advocates of the big N?

But then, I guess you are the target market. Good luck with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

A pc gamer for years, still think, actually not think its just pure fact when it comes to a high end pc you just can't beat it. Problem is thats €2,000 worth!!!

Console, xbox is a great machine, the ps2 a good machines. the xbox in my opinion far out stripping the ps2 it both graphics and sound.

As for the dreamcast argument in here, the dreamcast had a much better graphics chip than the ps2 and was a superior machine in every sence. The only problem was woeful marketing by Sega as opposed to brilliant marketing by Sony. The fact that you also have to look at is that Sony had I think the highest penetration per population of any gaming console in history so most ps1 owners followed like sheep into the ps2 world.
    Others looked elsewhere and went for the xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

boy1er1990 wrote:
    I agree xbox graphics at the moment are better than ps2!!!

....continuation of well-structured and informed statement...

When I started playing games (long before you were born, by the looks of it) we didn't need graphics. Give us a few squares and some smaller squares and we were happy. Back then, games were fun to play!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

to the person who made the nintendo comment about their games for five year olds.

look at it this way.

zelda - looks cartoony and childish kind of game. check the rating on the back it says three years + which is fair enough but if you can find me a three year old who can play zelda and know exactly what they are doing i'll give you cookies. same goes for mario and the others (super smash bros.)

also the show south park, looks childish and cartoony, is that for kids??? hope not

boy1er1990 wrote:
    Pc: Games avlabile 10/10, graphics (of games) 10/10 Gameplay 9/10
    Xbox: games avliable 8/10 , graphics 9/10 gameplay 10/10
    Ps2: games avliable 8/10, graphics 8/10 gameplay 9/10

SINCE WHEN DID CONSOLES AND PCS COME WITH INBUILT GAMEPLAY©®

Seriously, I'd love to see your breakdown of the different graphical techniques used in games and why they impress you so, and what advantages do they have over other techniques.

I can't wait for real-time radiosity and sub-surface scattering myself, your thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ah yes the old wars are back!
    I have had all the machines, still do, and the DC was, and still is, an excellent machine.
    It was peoples expectations of the ps2, with its emotion engine and such like, that made gamers wait for the PS2 and not buy the DC.
    Those that took the plunge were treated to an excellent range of great titles that are hard to beat even today.
    Games lists are so tiresome, but Shenmue 1/2, Space Channel 5, Ferrari 355, Toy Commander, Half Life (bro downloaded it for me, Wow!!), Chu Chu Rocket, Sonic 1+2, Powerstone and many many more.
    The best racing game ever, Metropolis Street Racer of course gobbled up my time, prefer it to Gothams1+2.
    It predated the PS2 so it was worth getting, by the logic, why buy it for original games when the PS2 has original games is crap, why buty the Xbox or Gamecube then?
    Your console purchases should be governed by the games you want to play, never the maker of the plastic bow that enables you to play them, excellent games, original games have made me buy, and keep, every console over the last 15 years.

Tech Spec quoting is also a poor defence of any machine, don't defend the machine, defend the games that are exclusive to the format, the ones that made you buy the machine in the first place.

Jakkass, Syxpak you mustn't have enjoyed any of the games on the DC, assuming you ever had one, but tone down your worship of the PS2, we know it is a great machine, we know it has sold spectacularly well over the last 5 years, but we also know of the early disappointment with a really rubbish launch line up, Ridge Racer V, The Bouncer?
    Awful stuff, it only picked up 6 months or so later, thank the ods I still had my DC to play while I was waiting!!

Advertisement