Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The power of Christ compels him...

Comments

You forgot your bongo drum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

He said he was told by the brother of a reiki master that the man was "working on somebody one day when he actually says he saw a vision of Satan" and was "scared out of his wits, dropped the reiki and went back to the Church"

What the actual f*ck is going on when these people have positions of power. If he didn't have a white collar he'd be sectioned and removed from society.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Your mother cooks socks in hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

My Dad was known as 'The Exorcist' - invite him to your house and all the spirits disappear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

GO ON THE DEVIL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing people he didnt exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Do the Vatican still preach about Satan and his existance? I thought they stopped doing that a while back.

Crazy stuff really. The Roman organization make themselves less and less relevant/credible with each passing day. They cant help it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

He's doing a hell of a job. No pun intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Your mother cooks socks in hell!
    one of the best lines in cinema, still used regularly enough in my social circle

Do the Vatican still preach about Satan and his existance? I thought they stopped doing that a while back.

Crazy stuff really. The Roman organization make themselves less and less relevant/credible with each passing day. They cant help it.

It sure seems like they are.

He said he "absolutely" agreed with Pope Francis's view that child abuse is caused by Satan.
    "Since day one, Pope Francis has been talking about the action of Satan. I have got several requests from people, one lady for example who is involved in counselling, I don't know if she's Catholic or what, but she's coming across things in people which she cannot deal with, and she knows that it's beyond psychological."

That last bit is very interesting as it seems to equate mental health issues with old fairytales like the devil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I guess at least he's saying that reiki is real, albeit it in a roundabout and backhanded way...
    the bishop said: "You're channelling energies, in inverted commas, you could well be opening yourself up to letting a spirit in which is not good and is dangerous stuff, actually."

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I love when they come out with stuff about Satan and energies and demons. Against the background of the modern world, it really makes them stand out as complete lunatics and charlatans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

That last bit is very interesting as it seems to equate mental health issues with old fairytales like the devil.

That's just what you'd want to hear, oh those voices you're hearing? That's not schizophrenia at all, it's the devil....

pleure_me.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Whatever possessed you to start this thread OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I'm always hearing voices, must be the work of santa

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Not a trick. He is just not an ego guy.

God, now ...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,655 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

While I in no way wish for what I’m about to say to be seen as supporting the nonsense that priest or whoever has come out with, there is a growing practice in psychology of taking an holistic approach to treating patients (clients, if you prefer), and understanding the role and influence that religion has in their lives, rather than attempting to rally against it -

What Role Do Religion and Spirituality Play In Mental Health?

wexie wrote: »
    That's just what you'd want to hear, oh those voices you're hearing? That's not schizophrenia at all, it's the devil....

Curiously enough (and again not suggesting for a minute I necessarily agree with it), but -

In the past mental health professionals were taught not to let voice hearers talk about their voices as this was thought to be colluding with the person’s delusions and not helpful. Most often professionals sought to distract the voice hearer from their voices.

Research has shown that many people hear voices, and some cope well with their voices, without psychiatric intervention. It has also been found that many people who hear voices regard them as a positive part of their lives.

Throughout history and even today there are people who hear voices who find their voices inspirational and comforting. Many researchers, practitioners and voice hearers believe it is mistaken to regard voice hearing as part of a psychopathic disease syndrome. Rather, they consider it to be more akin to a variation in human experience – a special faculty or difference that definitely does not need a cure.

Mental Health Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

topper75 wrote: »

God, now ...

Whiny, needy little bitch and no mistake!:D

Love me
    Honour me
    One day a week is all about me
    Don't be eyeing up other gods
    Make sure you celebrate my birthday
    By the way, if you piss me off i'll burn you

Fúck me, you couldn't go out with someone like the twat!

While I in no way wish for what I’m about to say to be seen as supporting the nonsense that priest or whoever has come out with, there is a growing practice in psychology of taking an holistic approach to treating patients (clients, if you prefer), and understanding the role and influence that religion has in their lives, rather than attempting to rally against it -

Proper, proven, psychological practice, no problem. Standing over the bed telling demons to go away, not so much.

Curiously enough (and again not suggesting for a minute I necessarily agree with it), but -

In the past mental health professionals were taught not to let voice hearers talk about their voices as this was thought to be colluding with the person’s delusions and not helpful. Most often professionals sought to distract the voice hearer from their voices.

Research has shown that many people hear voices, and some cope well with their voices, without psychiatric intervention. It has also been found that many people who hear voices regard them as a positive part of their lives.

Throughout history and even today there are people who hear voices who find their voices inspirational and comforting. Many researchers, practitioners and voice hearers believe it is mistaken to regard voice hearing as part of a psychopathic disease syndrome. Rather, they consider it to be more akin to a variation in human experience – a special faculty or difference that definitely does not need a cure.

I think you've gone off track a bit, no one is saying there is only one way to treat this and its "X" and certainly I wouldn't pretend to know much about psychology but I do know the nut job who is setting up an exorcism squad needs to make an appointment with a psychologist.

Is that why their god has seemingly been doing the same thing then? Copy cat?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

topper75 wrote: »

God, now ...

Is that his alter ego?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

There's a theory that it's a throwback to ancient times when everybody heard these voices and they were accepted as muses or the gods or some such. Sometimes they were helpful, sometimes not, but it was just the human experience at the time.
    Only relatively recently (2 or 3 thousand years ago) did we develop the trait of introspection and we came to recognise them as creations of our own mind which silenced the voices for most, but not all. Today we tend to call these people schizophrenics.

Now I'm not sure if I believe it, but it's a very interesting theory, and there is some supporting evidence - there's a good TED talk on it.

A bit more on this, from January this time. It seems to be way more prevalent than I thought.

In his open letter to the Irish bishops, Collins wrote: “...there has been increasing evidence of the malicious activity of the evil one.”
    https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/irish-priest-asks-for-back-up-as-demand-for-exorcisms-rises-exponentially-21186

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Can't believe this is a thing in 2018 but there you go.

It is curious that such talk about the devil is an issue for some people.

After all consider the other stuff these people tend to believe. They think the explanation for our universe was some male father figure who intentionally contrived to create the universe with us in it. They sometimes believe this entity visited us in human form and still does. And that it spiritually visits us through the medium of little crackers.

They think that dropping to their knees and mumbling can actively petition this entity to intervene in the natural workings of said universe and modify it to our benefit. And more.

But they they start talking about the devil and people react with "Well that's just mad stuff that is" attitudes. How is ranting about the devil any more unsubstantiated nonsense than their core claim there is a god in the first place?

I can not wrap my head around the attitude I have seen from some people that belief in a god is perfectly normal and ok, but the moment you start talking about belief in the devil or the actions of the devil you are some how going into nutjob territory.

There are no arguments, evidence, data or reasonings on offer to suggest that ANY of these entities exist. The idea there is a god is an unsubstantiated fantasy some people cling to and cherish and it is no more nutty than anything this bishop just came out with.

No disagreement here but I wouldn't like to criticise people of faith who are taking the meat and leaving the bones, as it were.

This guy is on a different level from what I've seen of him. In particular the part about people who couldn't be counselled because the devil was in them or some such nonsense. That's not the granny going to mass every morning and living life in the best way she can because she has a belief, that's dangerous.

Advertisement