Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving camcorder footage

• 07-06-2018 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong section.
    I have a Samsung mini camcorder "VP-D361" from back in the day.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to transfer the footage from the Mini DV tapes to a laptop?
    What type of cable would I need?

Any replies very much appreciated.
    Thank you in advance.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Yes you can. There are a number of kits out there. I'll root out the one I used and will post it here.

Does that machine have a DV socket on it? If so, does your laptop have a firewire socket?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭FyFyTa

Thanks TomOnBoard, yes the camcorder has a "DV" port on it, but the laptop has no firewire socket.

FyFyTa wrote: »
    Thanks TomOnBoard, yes the camcorder has a "DV" port on it, but the laptop has no firewire socket.

Ok. What is laptop make and model?

I also should yave asked does the camera have a USB s8cket also?

Laptop is a HP Pavilion,

the camcorder has no usb socket,

its a Samsung Digital Camcorder VP-D361.

Hopefully you have a solution.... fingers crossed!!!

Thanks again.
    Fyfyta.

Laptop is a HP Pavilion,

the camcorder has no usb socket,

its a Samsung Digital Camcorder VP-D361.

Hopefully you have a solution.... fingers crossed!!!

Thanks again.
    Fyfyta.

I reckon that to maximise quality you need to transfer the content to the laptop via the DV output on the camera. I'd suggest that you check if the laptop has an expansion slot that will take a card, and then buy a firewire (IEEE1394) card for that. You will then have firewire on both devices, and a simple male/male firewire cable will get you up and running.

• Advertisement

Thanks a million, i'm on the hunt for an (IEEE1394) card right now.
    Thanks again.
    Fyfyta.

Thanks a million, i'm on the hunt for an (IEEE1394) card right now.
    Thanks again.
    Fyfyta.

Make sure the laptop has the necessary expansion port. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Unless your laptop is ancient it wont have PCCard slot so adding FireWire400 that way won't be an option.

Simplest thing to do is get a Desktop, not a laptop, and add a Firewire card to that. Then remember, MiniDV will transfer at real time speeds. 100hrs of footage? 100hrs of copying.

ED E wrote: »
    Unless your laptop is ancient it wont have PCCard slot so adding FireWire400 that way won't be an option.

Simplest thing to do is get a Desktop, not a laptop, and add a Firewire card to that. Then remember, MiniDV will transfer at real time speeds. 100hrs of footage? 100hrs of copying.

If the laptop has no expansion slot, then yes, the desktop avenue would be an option. OR, get an older laptop that has a firewire port built in off eBay.

Advertisement