Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Finding it almost impossible to log on this evening. To add to PB's post, the C word is "Consensa" = agreed ("fuit" = has been). Not sure that it is Manchester either, will come back to it again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The linked marriage record above is a new branch of my tree which has only come to light in the last few days so I had no hunches to go on. However I see that Brillianna's sister - also Alicia Sophia like her mother - married a man with an address in Manchester as per their marriage record so Manchester may well be correct.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    The linked marriage record above is a new branch of my tree which has only come to light in the last few days
    Love when that happens, warm feeling and shivers:)

Love when that happens, warm feeling and shivers:)

Warm feeling indeed but I was supposed to be taking a break from it all in the New Year.:)
    I had a bit of luck in that the newspaper record of that marriage states that the priest is the grooms brother, something I had long suspected but couldn't prove. That one little reference to them being siblings has opened all sorts of possibilities and will keep me busy for some time to come.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Warm feeling indeed but I was supposed to be taking a break from it all in the New Year.:)
    I had a bit of luck in that the newspaper record of that marriage states that the priest is the grooms brother, something I had long suspected but couldn't prove. That one little reference to them being siblings has opened all sorts of possibilities and will keep me busy for some time to come.

A true family historian never gets to take a break.
    One scrap of information always raises further questions, enigmas to be solved, questions to be answered, brick walls to be dismantled.

• Advertisement

Just looking for some opinions on a couple of records...

Firstly, the third entry on the left page for Mrs. Michael Moore Ballintrae - would it be reasonable to assume that this is the wife of Michael Moore?

Secondly, for the second last entry on the left for Edward Ignatius Moore - what do ye think is the mothers maiden name?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Just looking for some opinions on a couple of records...

Firstly, the third entry on the left page for Mrs. Michael Moore Ballintrae - would it be reasonable to assume that this is the wife of Michael Moore?
    Yes

Secondly, for the second last entry on the left for Edward Ignatius Moore - what do ye think is the mothers maiden name?
    Could it be Roper?

The best I could come up with is Hope.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

The best I could come up with is Hope.
    I'd agree, tending towards 100%. The first letter is not "R", because that writer forms his "Rs" quite differently.

Firstly, the third entry on the left page for Mrs. Michael Moore Ballintrae - would it be reasonable to assume that this is the wife of Michael Moore?...
    Yes.

• Advertisement

I wondered if Ballintrae was/is the name of a house and checked Lewis' Top Dict. - it has
    "KILBRIDE, a parish, in the barony of DUNBOYNE, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 4 ½ miles (N. by E.) from Clonee, on the road from Dublin to Ratoath; containing 279 inhabitants. It is a chapelry, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of Dunboyne, in which the tithes are included. The church is in ruins. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Dunboyne and Kilbride, and has a small chapel. There is a private school, in which are about 30 children. On the lands of Ballintra are the remains of a Danish fort."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

shown as Ballintry on the townland index and historic OSI

That's the place all right. I have recently gone back a generation from Newcastle House, Co. Dublin to Ballintra/e/y House which is exciting.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭The Chieftain

Would appreciate it if people could help with the 24 February, 1792 marriage entry for Anne Magil and Patrick (Peter?) Crean ("Crane" in register) of Rahennaskeagh (OS spelling), visible towards the bottom, right at
    http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634089#page/47/mode/1up
    - Could the groom's name be Peter, rather than Patrick? That would make much more sense to me, based on other factors.
    - Many parts of the entry are obscure, can anyone assist? In particular, what comes after the bride's name? What is the sentence at the end?
    What is the meaning of "Odibus"?
    Thanks

Would appreciate it if people could help with the 24 February, 1792 marriage entry for Anne Magil and Patrick (Peter?) Crean ("Crane" in register) of Rahennaskeagh (OS spelling), visible towards the bottom, right at
    http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634089#page/47/mode/1up
    - Could the groom's name be Peter, rather than Patrick? That would make much more sense to me, based on other factors.
    - Many parts of the entry are obscure, can anyone assist? In particular, what comes after the bride's name? What is the sentence at the end?
    What is the meaning of "Odibus"?
    Thanks
    - I'm pretty sure the groom is Patri., which is clearly an abbreviated form of Patricius. The Latin form for Peter is Petrus, and I can't see that in the entry.
    - It looks to me as if the bit after the bride's name is also Patri. which I take to be her father's name. There is a blank that suggests that the person making the record did not know her mother's name.
    - Then testis (witness): ??? Laffin, Thos. Donnelly.
    - The last one is difficult! Odibus patris ??? Magil. Beats me!

- I'm pretty sure the groom is Patri., which is clearly an abbreviated form of Patricius. The Latin form for Peter is Petrus, and I can't see that in the entry.
    I agree that it looks like Patri/Patrick. I just don't want it to be!
    - It looks to me as if the bit after the bride's name is also Patri. which I take to be her father's name.
    I think it should be a location or parish name, given other examples. Either way, it is not Patri - compare to the grooms name.
    - Then testis (witness): ??? Laffin, Thos. Donnelly.
    I mainly agree. First witness is ?? Redmond, then ?? Laffin, then Thos. Donnelly.
    - The last one is difficult! Odibus patris ??? Magil. Beats me!
    I think it reads "Odibus fratris eius ??? Magil,", which I would take to mean " ?? of her brother ?? Magil".
    The word "Odibus" recurs over and over again in this register. Yet I can't seem to find it in any Latin-English dictionary.

...Odibus patris...

Could it mean the father is dead.
    From the Family Search quick guide to Latin I see obitus means dead.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Could it mean the father is dead.
    From the Family Search quick guide to Latin I see obitus means dead.

I don't think so. Also on the page is "Odibus meis" with the name of the priest, which would then translate to "my death", if your suggestion were true. As I just mentioned (in previous response), the word "Odibus" occurs frequently in this register - yet no obvious sign in dictionaries.
    I wonder if the first letter might not be a simple "O", but some sort of ligature?
    From the context, I suspect that it somehow means location, place, or dwelling.

..."Odbius"...

Yes, I see now it's definitely 'o-d' rather than 'o-b'.

Genealogy Forum Mod

"Odibus" occurs frequently in this register - yet no obvious sign in dictionaries.
    I wonder if the first letter might not be a simple "O", but some sort of ligature?
    From the context, I suspect that it somehow means location, place, or dwelling.

Well, I think I have solved the mystery term "Odibus". Given the different usages, such as "my...", "mothers...", "brothers...", "parish church...") it simply has to be "Aedibus" - which translates to house or home. This is either a simple spelling error by the priest (but one he consistently makes), or it is an obscure contraction or ligature. With this interpretation, the last sentence would read, "[Married] at the house of her brother ?? Magil."

That still leaves the following that I could do with input on
    - The placename after the bride's name (should be a placename).
    - Christian names of the first two witnesses
    - Christian name of the bride's brother.

And as for my desire that the Groom should be named Peter, rather than Patrick, well, if the priest went around spelling Aedibus as Odibus, then it should be possible..

• Advertisement

... I think it should be a location or parish name, given other examples. Either way, it is not Patri - compare to the grooms name.
    I compared, and still think it is Patri. I missed the Do (ditto) for the surname. It's the same pattern as the entry immediately above.
    I mainly agree. First witness is ?? Redmond, then ?? Laffin, then Thos. Donnelly.
    I see the Redmond now. I have never before seen 3 witnesses recorded for a wedding, but that seems to be the case here.
    I think it reads "Odibus fratris eius ??? Magil,", which I would take to mean " ?? of her brother ?? Magil".
    The word "Odibus" recurs over and over again in this register. Yet I can't seem to find it in any Latin-English dictionary.
    I'm wondering about yet another Patri!

I think you have cracked the "Obidus" problem,

...I see the Redmond now. I have never before seen 3 witnesses recorded for a wedding, but that seems to be the case here...

For what it's worth I have two parish marriage records both with three witnesses.

Genealogy Forum Mod

24. Anna Magil ????? [ space ] et Patri Crane
    Rahanasche testres Ml Redmond Ml Laffin & Thos. Donn
    olly Ædibus fratris ejus Ml Magil

The ????? would usually be « filia » i.e. daughter but it does not look like that. Usually the bride’s name is followed by the name of her father and mother; the [space] was left to infill the mother’s name and the father clearly is Patri (Patricius) Crane. But why the inversion?
    Testres is an abbreviated form of testatores – witnesses.
    I’d accept Ml as the Christian names of witnesses Redmond and Laffin, and that of the brother Magil. (But why three witnesses?)
    On Odibus / ødibus / Ædibus - the Ae is a grapheme/ligature and ∅ is the clerk’s manner of writing it.

duplicate

24. Anna Magil ????? [ space ] et Patri Crane
    Rahanasche testres Ml Redmond Ml Laffin & Thos. Donn
    olly Ædibus fratris ejus Ml Magil

The ????? would usually be « filia » i.e. daughter but it does not look like that. Usually the bride’s name is followed by the name of her father and mother; the [space] was left to infill the mother’s name and the father clearly is Patri (Patricius) Crane. But why the inversion?

The inversion is perhaps because Anna Magil was the one from the parish (Litter, i.e. Kilmuckridge), while Patrick Crean was from Raheennaskeagh (OS spelling) in the parish of Oulart. Patrick Crean was the groom, not her father.

Thanks to everyone who commented on the 1792 Magil/Creane marriage entry - deciphering the register entries is challenging, and I always find all suggestions useful, even if not all of them pan out.

I compared, and still think it is Patri. I missed the Do (ditto) for the surname. It's the same pattern as the entry immediately above.
    The above is with regard to the wording after Anna Magil's name in the 1792 Litter marriage entry I posted.
    A problem with this interpretation is that there is a very clear "i" before the "t" (or what may be a t). If so, the word would then read as "Paitri" - clearly different from Patri (Patrick), which is what is used elsewhere, and is the correct abbreviation.
    Also, the entry immediately above does seem to have parents names - thanks, I had not noticed! - but this is not the usage for other entries, where addresses are given.
    So, any further thoughts, anyone?

For what it's worth I have two parish marriage records both with three witnesses.

This was quite common in early registers, sometimes all male, rarely all female, mostly two men and a woman, the idea of a second man being to save the woman having to give evidence in case of dispute.

Personally, I think the more the merrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Hi, can someone have a look at this baptism record on this link close to bottom of page, left hand side on 21 Nov 1834. I'm not convinced of baby's name, it has been transcribed as Ellen by everyone who has seen it:)

21 E??? of Michael Blackburn, etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I can't even figure out which line it is! That is dreadful handwriting and a dreadful microfilm.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement