Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

At first I thought it was Bernie (wasn't fully awake, and not that it would be "easier"), but Charlie at 66, very sad. Preparing to get ready for the new season, probably stressed and excited in equal measure. He'll be massively missed, even in name only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Poor Charlie, from the small bit we saw of him he came across as a nice guy

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

RIP Charlie an F1 legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

recyclebin wrote: »

I'm doing well, joint first at the minute :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm doing well, joint first at the minute :P

With 'One Lap Wonder Racing Car Systems'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Sorry to hear of Charlie's death. Will be a sad time for a while at races. Rest in peace.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,022 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Sad to hear that news. RIP
    Heres ths BBC report
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/47564762

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Sad news, I wonder who'll step in and take over now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Sad news, I wonder who'll step in and take over now.

The above BBC article says Michael Masi for this weekend atleast.
    Australian Michael Masi will take Whiting's place as race director, safety delegate and permanent starter this weekend in Melbourne.

Masi has been race director of Australia's V8 Supercars series for the past four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That's very sad news and no doubt is a huge loss to Formula1. As said above he will be very hard replace.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Sad way to start the season, Whiting has been part of F1 essentially since I started following it 30-something years ago.

On an operational note, Michael Masi (Supercar V8 director in Australia) will take over this week end.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Very sad news about Charlie Whiting. I've been watching F1 since the mid nineties when it was on RTE TV and he's been the one constant. Cars, Drivers, Teams, Regulations, Tyre manufacturers have come and gone but he's the one who has always been there.

Daniel-Ricciardo-Renault-Formel-1-GP-Australien-Melbourne-14-Maerz-2019-fotoshowBig-985508e1-1436676.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,266 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Very sad news about Charlie, the tributes from everyone in the paddock that knew him are hard too read.

Imagine the book he could have written...

His instructions are for the hearse to go around the church a few more times than necessary. :pac:

Sad news, seemed well liked by just about everyone around. It'll be weird not hearing the drivers in the rain complain to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I can't see anyone taking on such a broad role. They will probably get in 10 guys to cover what he handled.
    Everything seemed to be Charlie's responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,933 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Theres an hour long Interview with Kimi on Beyond the Grid - the f1.com podcast. It's not bad.

Seems a grand lad. Bit much emphasis on his drinking. Sounds a bit like teenagers bragging. Kimi doesn't make a big deal of it but the interviewer goes on a bit.

I never see the appeal to Kimi that some people seem to see. No room for terms like "legend" or "hilarious". But a grand lad all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

Another one of the big names in F1 left us, like Sid Watkins an architect for F1 today. His expertise will be missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Gintonious wrote: »
    Very sad news about Charlie, the tributes from everyone in the paddock that knew him are hard too read.

Imagine the book he could have written...

Now that would be a book I would like to read!

Such a shame.. I read that Vettel was out doing a track walk with him the day before so it was an extra shock to him I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,147 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

HighLine wrote: »
    Now that would be a book I would like to read!

Such a shame.. I read that Vettel was out doing a track walk with him the day before so it was an extra shock to him I'm sure.

Yeah its in the press conference vid on the F1 Youtube. Kubica saw them together but decided not to interrupt them as he would be meeting Charlie Friday anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

That's sad news hearing about Charlie Whiting's passing. RIP. :(

Also....about the F1 TV App. Their new pit lane channel has special alternative English commentary. Who provides it on the app?

I may be hedging my bets here but I might take a guess that it's provided by Ben Edwards & David Coulthard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

That's sad news hearing about Charlie Whiting's passing. RIP. :(

Also....about the F1 TV App. Their new pit lane channel has special alternative English commentary. Who provides it on the app?

I may be hedging my bets here but I might take a guess that it's provided by Ben Edwards & David Coulthard.
    More likely to be Jack Nicholls and Jolyen Palmer. The BBC radio commentary has been part of the F1 app for a few years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭chicorytip

mickdw wrote:
    I can't see anyone taking on such a broad role. They will probably get in 10 guys to cover what he handled. Everything seemed to be Charlie's responsibility.

All he really had responsibility for was inspecting safety features and waving the starting flag. Bernie ran the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

chicorytip wrote: »
    All he really had responsibility for was inspecting safety features and waving the starting flag. Bernie ran the show.

That's pretty inaccurate, to be fair. He was responsible for a lot more than that:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/charlie-whiting-impossible-to-replace-video/4352537/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Cool_CM wrote: »
    That's pretty inaccurate, to be fair. He was responsible for a lot more than that:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/charlie-whiting-impossible-to-replace-video/4352537/

Not just inaccurate, I would say spectacularly wrong.

Very sad news, RIP Charlie

chicorytip wrote: »
    mickdw wrote:
    I can't see anyone taking on such a broad role. They will probably get in 10 guys to cover what he handled. Everything seemed to be Charlie's responsibility.

Leaving aside that Bernie is long gone, your opinion on what Charlie did is completely and utterly wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭chicorytip

mickdw wrote:
    Leaving aside that Bernie is long gone, your opinion on what Charlie did is completely and utterly wrong.

I don't envisage the great F1 roadshow grinding to a halt on account of his demise. May he R.I.P.

Well of course not but I have a feeling that we might see it taking a while to settle down with many people settling into roles to cover what he did. He grew with it from a different age and just knew the job inside out. A don't believe any single person now could walk in there and take on everything.

Haas-Formel-1-GP-Australien-Melbourne-15-Maerz-2019-fotoshowBig-96441d66-1436911.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

For anyone in the Superbru fantasy leagues Don't forget to do your picks (I'll create a new thread for it later)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement