Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

End of #metoo

1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Secondly, it is frowned upon, and with all due respect you are really stretching the definition of sexual harassment. If my mate randomly slapped a girls arse I wouldn't be high fiving him afterwards, but I also wouldn't think that he views women as lesser necessarily.

That is sexual assault, that’s exactly what it is by law! That’s like saying “If my mate had sex with a woman without consent, I’d think it was horrible but not rape.”

leggo wrote:
    That is sexual assault, that’s exactly what it is by law! That’s like saying “If my mate had sex with a woman without consent, I’d think it was horrible but not rape.â€

That's not like saying that at all

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

That's not like saying that at all

While I agree it's not the same it's pretty poor reflection on the person doing it and friends who would do or say nothing. Friends like that would be bellow me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

leggo wrote: »
    That is sexual assault, that’s exactly what it is by law! That’s like saying “If my mate had sex with a woman without consent, I’d think it was horrible but not rape.”

You are missing my point. I'm aware it's sexual assault. I'm saying if he did it it wouldn't necessarily mean he viewed women as lesser then him, which mrsmum extended the definition to mean. He'd still be a prick though.

By sexually assaulting someone, though, you implicitly don’t respect them as an equal. It’s an inherently disrespectful act. And how else do you gauge how someone respects women, if not by “How they treat them”?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

You don't assault a person you have respect for. You don't respect a person because you feel in some way superior. As far as I'm concerned if you assault a person you think they are not as important as yourself ie a lesser person.

Mrsmum wrote: »
    You don't assault a person you have respect for. You don't respect a person because you feel in some way superior. As far as I'm concerned if you assault a person you think they are not as important as yourself ie a lesser person.

If I'm kissing a girl in a club, and I go and feel her arse. If she doesn't like that it could be deemed unwanted sexual contact i.e. sexual assault. Does that mean I have no respect for her, or I misread the situation?

If I'm kissing a girl in a club, and I go and feel her arse. If she doesn't like that it could be deemed unwanted sexual contact i.e. sexual assault. Does that mean I have no respect for her, or I misread the situation?

Yeah I see what you're saying there all right. Ok maybe not meant to be disrespectful in every case but in a lot of them the people involved don't even know each other never mind already in romantic clinch.

Yeah I see what you're saying there all right. Ok maybe not meant to be disrespectful in every case but in a lot of them the people involved don't even know each other never mind already in romantic clinch.

Yes I'd fully agree with this.

Like I’m not going to look at that situation of a guy groping a girl he knows 15 minutes in public and think “What a respectful young man!” Similarly, I was walking to get the bus the other night and saw a lad fingering a girl on the street. Grade the respect you think he had for her at that moment from 1 to 10.

But if we’re talking about teenagers then I accept the point because teens are mainly just ****ing idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Grade the respect you think he had for her at that moment from 1 to 10.

Or the respect she had for him? (...or herself)

Or the respect she had for him? (...or herself)

Good point. How would you have graded the respect level if it was a girl tossing off a guy? Or is it just the guys that are meant to show respect?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Good point. How would you have graded the respect level if it was a girl tossing off a guy?
    I'd say that shows a fair amount of respect tbh, so, gender equality and all, with the roles reversed...

Like I’m not going to look at that situation of a guy groping a girl he knows 15 minutes in public and think “What a respectful young man!” Similarly, I was walking to get the bus the other night and saw a lad fingering a girl on the street. Grade the respect you think he had for her at that moment from 1 to 10.

But if we’re talking about teenagers then I accept the point because teens are mainly just ****ing idiots.
    Probably 10 since he was pleasuring her

Seriously guys, there's an enormous gulf between two people engaging in sexual acts with the consent of both fully in it, good for them, and on the other hand an unwelcome sexual act forced upon someone. Hopefully after the former there is never the look of disgust/distress/anger that you see on the faces of the latter after the act has been carried out. In the example of the "girl tossing off a guy", I am presuming she didn't force herself on him so the example is neither here nor there. In the other example, I'm not sure if he meant this was a mutual act or not ??

Seriously guys, there's an enormous gulf between two people engaging in sexual acts with the consent of both fully in it, good for them, and on the other hand an unwelcome sexual act forced upon someone. Hopefully after the former there is never the look of disgust/distress/anger that you see on the faces of the latter after the act has been carried out. In the example of the "girl tossing off a guy", I am presuming she didn't force herself on him so the example is neither here nor there. In the other example, I'm not sure if he meant this was a mutual act or not ??

We were all being facetious... Or at least I was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

We were all being facetious... Or at least I was!

In fairness, you've only just graded a woman based on harassment on street.

batgoat wrote: »
    In fairness, you've only just graded a woman based on harassment on street.

Did you read the post I was responding to? Did you not realise I was not being serious in my response? Or that I wasn't grading a woman being harassed anyhow?

Did you read the post I was responding to? Did you not realise I was not being serious in my response? Or that I wasn't grading a woman being harassed anyhow?

So you don't think the problem is women don't confront the men harassing them on the street?

So you don't think the problem is women don't confront the men harassing them on the street?

What are you talking about? You asked if I graded a woman, which I did not. Re-read the post l responded to like I asked, as you clearly have not.

• Advertisement

You have weird views on sex. A man pleasuring a woman is taking advantage of her? Or is just the location that's the problem?

I'm guessing you wouldn't say a woman has no respect for the man she's jacking off. Is it the man disrespecting the woman in that case as well?

Equality when it suits.

What are you talking about? You asked if I graded a woman, which I did not. Re-read the post l responded to like I asked, as you clearly have not.

I'm referring to how you have repeatedly insulted the women who don't confront those who engage in street harassment... You've referred to them as cowards...

I'm referring to how you have repeatedly insulted the women who don't confront those who engage in street harassment... You've referred to them as cowards...

And what are you looking for? I've debated this mainly with Bigbagofcans and Mrsmum. Reread my responses to them. Also re-read post 457.

You have weird views on sex. A man pleasuring a woman is taking advantage of her? Or is just the location that's the problem?

I'm guessing you wouldn't say a woman has no respect for the man she's jacking off. Is it the man disrespecting the woman in that case as well?

Equality when it suits.

They can do what they want (well it’s actually illegal to perform sex acts on the quays in Dublin City, but still it’s not for me to judge)...but nah, you probably don’t have a very high opinion of someone, man or woman, if you think “They’re probably okay with me dropping the lamh at this bus stop.”

Again, each their own (and if you want to fight for the bus stop **** more power to you too!), but one thing it’s not is a great example of ‘respectful’ behaviour, and that was the question asked. Like maybe we have a different moral system but I’ve never thought “I respect this person so much...yeah, it’s time, I’m gonna finger them at a bus stop!” Maybe that makes me weird, maybe some would call you weird for seeing it and saying “Wow give that man a pat on the back for being so caring and not wanting to wait to pleasure that woman”, who’s to say really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

They can do what they want (well it’s actually illegal to perform sex acts on the quays in Dublin City, but still it’s not for me to judge)...but nah, you probably don’t have a very high opinion of someone, man or woman, if you think “They’re probably okay with me dropping the lamh at this bus stop.”

Again, each their own (and if you want to fight for the bus stop **** more power to you too!), but one thing it’s not is a great example of ‘respectful’ behaviour, and that was the question asked. Like maybe we have a different moral system but I’ve never thought “I respect this person so much...yeah, it’s time, I’m gonna finger them at a bus stop!” Maybe that makes me weird, maybe some would call you weird for seeing it and saying “Wow give that man a pat on the back for being so caring and not wanting to wait to pleasure that woman”, who’s to say really?

It takes two to tango. Women aren't the wilting flowers you seem to think. Source : my mam, my wife and my two daughters world kick your butt! :D

I'm enjoying your input in this thread professore. I like how you don't let logic get in the way of making whatever point you want to at any stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

GettyImages-993043638.jpg

And again, what is the point of this post?

Advertisement