Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between trap, skeet & sport O/U shotgun?

• 28-10-2008 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Folks,
    Iv been thinking about getting into clays recently, I have a .22lr so the license procedure wont be off putting. I will be trying it with a bunch from the Irish Clay Pigeon Shooting Association in the coming days. Iv seen that semi autos are a grey area and I would prefer the rock solid feeling with a O/U. Could some one please tell me what is the difference between a sporting, skeet and trap O/U shotgun? I see Beretta make an O/U 686 in sporting, trap and skeet variations . Which is best for clays?

Cheers,
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Dave-0 wrote: »
    Folks,
    Iv been thinking about getting into clays recently, I have a .22lr so the license procedure wont be off putting. I will be trying it with a bunch from the Irish Clay Pigeon Shooting Association in the coming days. Iv seen that semi autos are a grey area and I would prefer the rock solid feeling with a O/U. Could some one please tell me what is the difference between a sporting, skeet and trap O/U shotgun? I see Beretta make an O/U 686 in sporting, trap and skeet variations . Which is best for clays?

Cheers,
    Dave

It depends what you want to shoot and personal preference.
    I have a sporter with 30 inch barrells multi choke and shoot DTL, ABT sporting and skeet, though I prefer my semi auto game for the skeet cause it swings nicer and it is 26".

I know a guy who is hard beat at sporting and he uses a trap gun full and 3/4.

Go for the gun that fits you best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Dave-0

I hear alot about the gun fitting correct, when I try the clays in a few days, try a few for size.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Dave-0 wrote: »
    Could some one please tell me what is the difference between a sporting, skeet and trap O/U shotgun? I see Beretta make an O/U 686 in sporting, trap and skeet variations . Which is best for clays?

You could write a book and this and I'm sure someone already has.

The first thing is buy a clay gun for clays - not a game gun. Forget lightweight's, side by sides or anything that's not 12g.

The main difference between trap and other guns is the weight, balance, stock shape, comb height, etc. etc......

The best advice would be to decide if you want to shoot sporting or trap and then get a gun to suit. However if you want to try everything then get a multi choke sporter with an adjustable stock. The most important thing is gun fit - if it doesn't fit then you may throw your hat at it - literally!

Before handing over your cash, try and visit a coach and get him to have a look at you. There's a list of coaches here - http://www.icpsa.ie/coaching/coach_find/553.html

Go to a grounds that has a shop and try a few guns at a few different clays. Try get a feel what what you want to shoot - trap, sporting or skeet or maybe them all. They are all different requiring different skill sets.

Best of luck with the shooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Dave-0

Cheers for that "pulland bang",
    I think something with multi chokes is the way to go in my case. when I go shooting next week it is a regular ICPSA event so iam hoping there will be a few helpful coaches.
    I am looking forward to it now!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Next week is opening day of pheasants so don't get your hopes up!
    We'll all probably be out in the fields, up to our cahonies in muck, screaming for that b**tard of of dog to come back and frightening pheasants with both barrells:D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement