Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is your company letting you work from home?

• 12-03-2020 8:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25

Just wondering are your office still forcing you into work, even if you can work perfectly from home?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

I've had the option since Monday, but only starting working from home today. The office is still open, but I doubt anyone will be in within the next week or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I work for two private sector employers, it looks like I'll be mostly working from home in both jobs, but with the option to drop in and out of the office to collect files etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Kamu

No, the nature of my job makes it impossible to work from home as I need access to work systems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 haydoyo

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    I've had the option since Monday, but only starting working from home today. The office is still open, but I doubt anyone will be in within the next week or 2.

Same as. I know some companies arn't giving the option even though the infrastructure is in place.

I can’t do my job from home. The ones that can, are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Yap working from home, company closed office as well,

My job is like 50 / 50 as a lot of the stuff I need to do in the office and a lot of stuff I can do from home,

We where giveing no time frame of when we can return so I brought a monitor to work from home as I be killed otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭LolaJJ

We were all given laptops and set up on networks to facilitate us working from home but our boss thinks it's just like the flu and everyone is being hysterical so we all need to be here...in reality, we could all do our jobs from home

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

LolaJJ wrote: »
    our boss thinks it's just like the flu and everyone is being hysterical

Flu R0 value: 1.3
    Wuhan coronavirus R0 value: 2 - 2.5

Flu death rate: 0.1%
    Wuhan coronavirus death rate: 2%

So it's about twice as contagious as the flu, and about 20 times more lethal.

Are some people being hysterical? Yes.

But it's only "like the flu" in the sense a hamburger patty is like an expensive steak. Both are beef, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭LolaJJ

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Flu R0 value: 1.3
    Wuhan coronavirus R0 value: 2 - 2.5

Flu death rate: 0.1%
    Wuhan coronavirus death rate: 2%

So it's about twice as contagious as the flu, and about 20 times more lethal.

Are some people being hysterical? Yes.

But it's only "like the flu" in the sense a hamburger patty is like an expensive steak. Both are beef, right?

I would also like to add that I am in complete disagreement with my boss

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭icanmunch

A friends employer has given him two options: purchase more days off from the company in order to stay home or else take unpaid leave until business resumes. No option to work from office or home. Does anyone know if that’s above board?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,250 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No official policy, just ensure remote access works.. Large state owned electricity company...

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

My job are choosing to ignore the HSE about working from home There is a large portion that can, without difficulty do their job from home.

They are completely refusing. Other then taking leave, or speaking with your employer (already done), are there any other options? Company is adament that they are depending soley on HSE for guidance but actively ignoring said guidance. Really concerned that we are being exposed unnecessarily,

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

Our IT Unit are working hard to get as many of us set up with remote access so that we can work from home, i work in the Civil Service so there was never really a plan put in place for something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I didn’t ask, I just emailed my boss and said I was following the government’s request and would be working from home.

She said she’d be doing the same and we’d reevaluate at the end of the month.

My job could be done from anywhere though so no need for me to physically be in the office. Some of my colleagues will be in the office now unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Finishing up today for at least two weeks. Public service.

Other than responding to occasional emails no work to do. My job really requires me to be on-site.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

our uk head office has cancelled all customer meetings, any customer site visits, we will be open on monday to sort out the last few who dont have laptops after that i suspect it will be working from home only

any one with kids was told they could work from home yesterday

we are a software company !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Can work from home, doing half work from home days at the moment, will transition to full WFH next week

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

Sales, service and application support: we're being split into teams on a rotating roster, only 3 in the office at any one time, the others remote working, for some it's ok, for other roles not so much.

I do most of the customer site work which is currently discretionary, subject to risk assessment prior to visit, these have been reduced to necessity visits only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

All staff in Europe were sent to work from home yesterday (we were working on a skeletan staff in office anyway)

Office will remain closed for one week at least, front desk staff being fully paid also. It is better to be safe than sorry. We made this decision after most of our international business partners cancelled/postponed items we were working on with them.

After one week, we shall evaluate the situation and continue on a week by week basis.

Staff are happier, there is nothing URGENT that cannot be done on-line and if it is then it will be dealt with from the US office.

In the US office, we have completely restricted access to the building. No one comes in or out without being checked in and hand washing etc..... some staff have been sent home to work. Front desk staff have been told to stay off work (fully paid) and only come in one week every 4 weeks.

I am absolutely amazed at the complete ignorance of many in the US at what they are facing here. They are listening blindly to what the CDC is saying, despite the CDC admitting not testing is a major issue. You cannot fix dumb I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Will be working from home from Monday. There are 200 in our office but not everyone is being given a laptop so it'll be up to them if they come in or not, annual leave can be used or unpaid leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

working from home for the foreseeable - can do pretty much everything remotely, most of our systems are in the cloud now and we've had WFH options for years, as well as having tested the whole thing during the snowstorms a couple of years ago. Office is still open for anyone who wants to go in.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,272 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Working from home for the next two weeks at least, and will reassess then. We need a minimum number of people in the office to be able to function, but anyone else who can work from home will be. My boss is aiming for a minimum of 80% (out of 60+) in our department to be at home. Those who will be in the office will be instructed to ensure that there is at least one empty desk between them and the next person, which won't be a problem with so many out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

No, I'm a nurse who works in a hospital. I look good in yellow gowns, face mask and goggles though so it's all good.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

No, I'm a nurse who works in a hospital. I look good in yellow gowns, face mask and goggles though so it's all good.
    Just to say, thank you for the service you provide,

If you really are - thanks. And that’s not just for this situation.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The government should issue a directive that, if you can work from home, your company *must* let you work from home. Too many companies still dithering on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

If you really are - thanks. And that’s not just for this situation.

Oh I am, and thanks are always appreciated but not necessary. We're all in it together, one way or another.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 makemineawine

Am a public servant and had booked leave so out of office from mid last week until the 23rd. Heard nothing from my boss even though I would be able to work from home. Some divisions in my department have already facilitated people to work from home but as I said, I've had nothing yet - no email/text/phone call.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

As a bus driver I have no option but to go to work.
    The only way this will change is if they completely pull the services but I think this is then going to cause a huge issue for staff in hospitals especially and care facilities etc

One thing I would like to see is the buses actually been cleaned properly and sanitised at least daily as this isn't done at all in Ireland that I'm aware of in any transport company.

• Advertisement

Oh I am, and thanks are always appreciated but not necessary. We're all in it together, one way or another.

I’ve been in a few times myself and never met a nurse that wasn’t a star, both from watching how much they have to do, to their manner, and to their care.

Advertisement