Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,482 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I am enjoying the cheaper Diesel.

Swings and roundabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

odyssey06 wrote: »
    School holidays can't come too soon...

In July 2009, H1N1 flu infections skyrocketed in the UK, but as soon as the school
    summer holidays ensured the kids were coughing over their PS4s rather than each other, the rate plunged to near zero.
    - from a review in The Times of The Rules of Contagion

And...
    UK residents typically have physical contact with five other people a day, while for the touchyfeely Italians it’s twice as many.

Total bull.:rolleyes:

The PS4 came out in 2013.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,067 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

MarkY91 wrote: »
    But I've been following the Forex for almost 3 weeks now. Now just since the Italy outbreak.

The 1% is dependent on the 99%. Without cheap labour and goods were in serious trouble.

BanditLuke wrote: »

Disease X. Definitely what the movie about this will be called.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Where's the chap from the previous thread who's been self isolating? Thread got so busy I lost track.. he'd gotten a taxi from the airport and then had contact with his dad and a housemate..who works in a hospital...

He never made it to part 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Lashes28 wrote: »
    He never made it to part 2

A rereg I take it. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Time to break out the bob marleys, haven't smoked in a bit but might stock up on the Mary Jane to kill sometime while in quarrintine https://www.sott.net/article/429210-How-to-prevent-coronavirus-Start-smoking

Please don't compromise your lungs when a respiratory virus may be on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Ficheall wrote: »
    It would be nice if, say, Italy, Iran, SK gave an indication of how many people tested negative; even if that isn't wholly reliable, it would give a better idea of prevalence..

Other than Iran most countries openly divulge this information
    Korea has performed 28,000 tests, so about one in every 33 testing positive
    China has performed 200,000, so about 1 in every 2.5 positive

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/f8x2lh/s_korea_has_tested_28000_us_cdc_meanwhile_reports/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,067 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

tuxy wrote: »

I'm just playing the numbers. Gonna find the stickiest-icky I can find tomorrow and give those lungs a good medicinal coating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Thisonedone

Boggles wrote: »
    I am enjoying the cheaper Diesel.

Swings and roundabouts.

The fumes from your diesel will kill a lot more people in Ireland than the coronavirus ever will :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

UK not prepared to shut down travel or public events. Schools may shut though.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/24/government-to-shut-schools-if-there-was-uk-coronavirus-outbreak

Are they admitting containment doesn't work? Protecting the economy?

I would imagine our policies may match those of UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,482 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The fumes from your diesel will kill a lot more people in Ireland than the coronavirus ever will :(

Yeah swings and roundabouts. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

An interesting article by The Atlantic about the race to find a vaccine and an interesting history going back to 1997 with the first case of bird flu, limited access till you subscribe but free for the moment I think.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Chinese neighbours had groceries delivered and they were left outside the door, bell rang and the deliver driver run away. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Chinese neighbours had groceries delivered and they were left outside the door, bell rang and the deliver driver run away. Weird.

That's not weird that is just how Tesco delivery works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

tuxy wrote: »
    Agree all boozers and smokers should update any pending paperwork.

Instead, try to stock up on some alternative 'green', to boost SpO2 (Blood oxygen saturation) by 1% from indoor defaults, after just 24hrs.

I.e. Areca Palm, Mother-in-law's Tongue, & the Money Plant. If they/you fail, at least the place will look fabulous. A few Boston/Jap Ferns might be handy too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Where's the chap from the previous thread who's been self isolating? Thread got so busy I lost track.. he'd gotten a taxi from the airport and then had contact with his dad and a housemate..who works in a hospital...

Anseo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

ZX7R wrote: »
    That's not weird that is just how Tesco delivery works

It wasn't Tesco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

The Italians will be over soon for the Rugby..uh oh

This has clusterfc#k written all over it..
    The fact we've no government means no one will make a call on it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Agree all boozers and smokers should update any pending paperwork.

Instead, try to stock up on some alternative 'green', to boost SpO2 (Blood oxygen saturation) by 1% from indoor defaults, after just 24hrs.

I.e. Areca Palm, Mother-in-law's Tongue, & the Money Plant. If they/you fail, at least the place will look fabulous. A few Boston/Jap Ferns might be handy too.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Containing it is pretty impossible and I say that as a frontline worker....say tomorrow my kids have “colds” but well in themselves, off I go to work and they to school etc......whilst unbeknownst to me their friend at school was off in Italy for midterm but is “asymptomatic” apart from the odd sneeze.......suddenly my kids and their friend and now me as a frontline worker could spread it but as we have “no known contacts” I wouldn’t be thinking COVID19= spread

UsBus wrote: »
    This has clusterfc#k written all over it..
    The fact we've no government means no one will make a call on it..

I believe there is a meeting about it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Has anyone seen a good article outlining what we know in Italy? Within 3 days, we have gone from 3 cases to over 200 with 7 deaths; This seems a very rapid deterioration. I note all deceased (RIP) were elderly with a number suffering and in treatment for Cardiac issues, Cancer etc. Do we know how many of these people were in ICU prior to contracting the virus (possible to contract whilst in hospital? Or were these rapid fatalities due to virus?
    There is a further 23 in critical/serious in Italy; again do we know if the virus is a secondary infection re the primary casue of being in ICU. If anyone has seen a good article re same - can you point me in that direction.

Thanks

laurah591 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen a good article outlining what we know in Italy? Within 3 days, we have gone from 3 cases to over 200 with 7 deaths; This seems a very rapid deterioration. I note all deceased (RIP) were elderly with a number suffering and in treatment for Cardiac issues, Cancer etc. Do we know how many of these people were in ICU prior to contracting the virus (possible to contract whilst in hospital? Or were these rapid fatalities due to virus?
    There is a further 23 in critical/serious in Italy; again do we know if the virus is a secondary infection re the primary casue of being in ICU. If anyone has seen a good article re same - can you point me in that direction.

Thanks

I was wondering if the elderly people know each other or attended the same event.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Just back in the US after 5 weeks in India and travel through Dubai. You really notice how much you touch your eyes mouth, how often often people cough without covering and hack up phlegm and touch everything!

I recommend regular tight shave of facial hair, really reduces the compulsion to touch your face.

The hand sanitizers were great, doctor told me to carry and use constantly just because I was in India, when I left corona virus wasn't even a thing I was aware of. The added hygene vigilance was a nice coincidence.

Feeling a little relief to be back in a world class healthcare system and upgraded my health insurance also.

Haven't had beer or meat in 5 weeks, cannot wait.

Am still shocked that there are only 3 confirmed cases in India.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Runaways wrote: »
    Anseo
    Hurray!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,219 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

laurah591 wrote: »

Thanks

Best bet is
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

And follow the sources - several of the dead were in hospital to start with

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Also in Italy they are testing huge numbers, so anyone the sick people came into contacted with they are testing. With more testing means high numbers, if a country isn’t testing it means low numbers .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement