Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coronavirus Temporary hospitals

• 29-03-2020 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else think the old Braun factory should be considered as a temporary makeshift hospital. Its quiet large with plenty of outside space for the ambulance and emergency services.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Would St dympnas not be better suited if the need came to it which it hopefully won’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

Old Braun site has been left idle so long its hard to know what sort of condition it would be in, might not be suitable for use at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

Would St dympnas not be better suited if the need came to it which it hopefully won’t.

I think the issue with Dympna's would be its such an old building, with old style rooms and wards. I would think the overall capacity in there would mean it probably wouldn't work very well in a modern situation :(

Fingers crossed it doesnt come to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

The IT instead surely? Barrow Centre specifically? There was a clip (nightly HSE/RTE announcement I think?) where the step down facilities of Citywest were mentioned but it also suggested ITs.

Barrow Centre has gyms upstairs x 2, plenty of toilets in building including showers too & obviously the hall is huge & could be divided up much like convention centre in Citywest is being currently.

With exams not taking place in traditional manner it's a building going to stand idle; there may be disadvantages to my suggestion that I'm not seeing though and perhaps a hotel like Lyrath which has a convention centre attached would be preferable or Mt. Wolseley or Cilin Hill/the Hub or Talbot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Work started on beds in St dympnas last Monday. For if and when they are needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If I was told lies, then I'm telling you lies but I was told by someone who works in the I.T. that a hall in the I.T. has been converted/is in the process of being converted into a hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Notmything

Was going to ask what was going on there, passed by earlier and there was black screens around the entrance

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭fits

Notmything wrote: »
    Was going to ask what was going on there, passed by earlier and there was black screens around the entrance

I can see them putting something there alright, that isnt a hospital.

HAve heard nothing about the IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

That building isn't in good condition. No way it could be used as a hospital. A storage place or some such thing, but not a hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭mulbot

BattleCorp wrote: »
    If I was told lies, then I'm telling you lies but I was told by someone who works in the I.T. that a hall in the I.T. has been converted/is in the process of being converted into a hospital.

Definitely not as of 18.00 pm this evening anyway.

Page 6 of todays Nationalist "Plans shelved for temporary morgue" & it refers to Watery Lane/Perrys Cash + Carry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭fits

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Page 6 of todays Nationalist "Plans shelved for temporary morgue" & it refers to Watery Lane/Perrys Cash + Carry.

That’s what I would have suspected

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Nokia6230i wrote: »

Not even good enough for the dead, should be razed to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Not even good enough for the dead, should be razed to the ground.

not wanting to derail or divert the thread, but we have enought derelect or unused ground around Carlow?

If they only use it gets for now is the Xmas fairs etc better to keep it standing? If they knock it down its 100% certain it wont be built on or but to use, other than MAYBE more parking spaces?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Wanton wrote: »
    not wanting to derail or divert the thread, but we have enought derelect or unused ground around Carlow?

If they only use it gets for now is the Xmas fairs etc better to keep it standing? If they knock it down its 100% certain it wont be built on or but to use, other than MAYBE more parking spaces?

I'd rather look at parking spaces than a dilapidated building that houses an excuse for a Christmas fair for 2 weeks of the year.

Christ I'd almost take apartments and I detest apartments and the over development of that section of the town.

Who owns the Blue Nuns hospital these days?

Who owns the Blue Nuns hospital these days?

Can't remember if I ever heard a name; Savilles sold it though & the site behind it that borders the Barrow Track/Coxs Lane/Andy Murphy Road; it sold in November 2017 for €1.3 Million; it had PP (lapsed) for office/retail/hotel use.

Someone with deep pockets sitting on it for 2.5 years now waiting to flip it for a profit perhaps?

Meanwhile the site itself is a hiding den for all sorts in the overgrowth.

Advertisement