Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bus Eireann routes 109/109A Changes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Commuter109

Got the 5.30 "express" yesterday from Bus Aras, it went through the port tunnel and despite traffic being heavy as is normal on a Friday evening, it made it to Navan in an hour flat, top drawer stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BrisbaneRoad

Got the 5.30 "express" yesterday from Bus Aras, it went through the port tunnel and despite traffic being heavy as is normal on a Friday evening, it made it to Navan in an hour flat, top drawer stuff.

Do you know if the bus went forward to Kells ???

On Friday, I was directed by an inspector to a Kells bus @1730 which went via the "slow" route - 45mins to the Mater, 2hrs 5mins to Kells including a detour at Navan via Johnstown !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

On Friday, I was directed by an inspector to a Kells bus @1730 which went via the "slow" route - 45mins to the Mater, 2hrs 5mins to Kells including a detour at Navan via Johnstown !!!
    If you are directed towards a bus like that again you should demand to know the route and question if it is not going through the port tunnel etc.

I think some drivers prefer the slower route as it uses up more hours and leaves them unable to do an extra journey at the end of their shift, like if they were due to drive to Navan and back three times they could only do it twice by taking the slower route and would have time free at the end of their shift.

Navan only, it did not proceed to Kells

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭chewed

What's the story with the NCR past the Mater? I get the 111 Trim bus and it takes over 1 hour to just get to Phibsboro in the evening!!! I know they're building a new wing to the hospital, but is that causing delays on the route?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I think some drivers prefer the slower route as it uses up more hours and leaves them unable to do an extra journey at the end of their shift, like if they were due to drive to Navan and back three times they could only do it twice by taking the slower route and would have time free at the end of their shift.

AHA...! So that's it......them pesky Drivers agin...could ya be up to them ? ....any other response fails me right now...."Free time at the end of their shift".....thats what most people have when their shifts end is it not...?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

foggy_lad wrote: »
    If you are directed towards a bus like that again you should demand to know the route and question if it is not going through the port tunnel etc.

Sounds like the driver on the 9.30 last night! In fairness he appeared to be new to the route and was mumbling something about the inspector never told him as people gave out to him, but he ((contrary to what the timetable says)) came into Navan, up into Johnston and stopped at all three stops there, then down the Kentstown road, left, those who thought as per the timetable they could get out the stop at Kilcarne or the Ardboyne, were left off at the side of the road, before the turn up the hill to the Mercy Convent stop!!!!

I reckon any poor souls who usually gets off at Kilcarne had a good 10-15 minutes walk to that stop in miserable conditions.

The communication skills (if any) in BE appear to be dire!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

Bus Eireann do seem to be very poor at actually informing drivers of the route they are meant to take. I get a bus to Ashbourne that is meant to use the motorway the whole way there instead of the usual route along the old N2. 9 times out of 10, if it's a new driver, they will just use the old route instead which can add 15 minutes onto the journey.

Bus Eireann do seem to be very poor at actually informing drivers of the route they are meant to take. I get a bus to Ashbourne that is meant to use the motorway the whole way there instead of the usual route along the old N2. 9 times out of 10, if it's a new driver, they will just use the old route instead which can add 15 minutes onto the journey.
    Could also be some drivers are used to driving one route like say the 126 and are then put on a different route which also goes through Naas but instead of taking the more usual m50 route for their new route they go through inchicore which would be normal for most drivers on the 126

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭tom23

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Just as an aside,I would suggest a cc'ing all communications with BE to the NTA as well.

The NTA's brief is to ensure the sustainability of Public Transport in the GDA and BE's 109 is one of the flagship corridor routes delivering on the NTA's remit.

Pay close attention to the various colourful stickers,logo's and assorted other NTA/NDP/Transport 2000 stuff plastered all over the fleet....this means that the NTA are accepting the fact that THEY now have a direct input into the provision of service here.

I would recommend hitting them with FACTS,such as the actual journey-times and the numbers of passengers being traded on the contentious stretch.

The Organ Grinder may be well hidden,but once you locate his/her whereabouts get the gloves off ! :eek:

Smart by name, smart by nature. Great points well done. All this moaning (and I mean no offence by that to other posters) is going to get us no where. What ever BE commitments are to meeting the requirements of all passengers it is having a huge effect on 95% of passengers that travel between Navan - Dublin only. From a Navan perspective when one considers they are paying for a 10 journey ticket expecting a so called expresso service in the Am and really not getting it because of the Blanchardstown Slip Road stop it really is time to take action. So where do start? Has anyone here participated in something similar, who do we lobby? NTA, anyone in particular? Local Councillors? Who? If people want to get involved PM me.

What do we want? Simple, at least one Xpresso service in the AM, direct and I mean Direct and not letting the single passenger that gets of at the Blanch Slip Road or the single passenger that gets of at the Navan Road Travel Lodge (in facts gets dropped off right outside the gate).

We want an express to Dublin with first stop at either the Mather / Phibs - O'Connell Street and then the green.

In the Evening at least one Express at 4:30, 5:30, 6:30 via the Port Tunnell.

How hard is that to provide?

• Advertisement

Sounds like the driver on the 9.30 last night! In fairness he appeared to be new to the route and was mumbling something about the inspector never told him as people gave out to him, but he ((contrary to what the timetable says)) came into Navan, up into Johnston and stopped at all three stops there, then down the Kentstown road, left, those who thought as per the timetable they could get out the stop at Kilcarne or the Ardboyne, were left off at the side of the road, before the turn up the hill to the Mercy Convent stop!!!!

I reckon any poor souls who usually gets off at Kilcarne had a good 10-15 minutes walk to that stop in miserable conditions.

The communication skills (if any) in BE appear to be dire!!!

There communciation is poor full stop. Jesus wept at the some of the excuses offered by Drivers. The fact of the matter is every morning when I was getting the 07:05 I would ask the driver is this going by the M3 to be met with an unsure nod or a look of annoyance. I'm not picking on Drivers here I dont care whos the blame but just to get it sorted. The same applies for their customer service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭LaFlammeRouge

tom23 wrote: »
    Smart by name, smart by nature. Great points well done. All this moaning (and I mean no offence by that to other posters) is going to get us no where. What ever BE commitments are to meeting the requirements of all passengers it is having a huge effect on 95% of passengers that travel between Navan - Dublin only. From a Navan perspective when one considers they are paying for a 10 journey ticket expecting a so called expresso service in the Am and really not getting it because of the Blanchardstown Slip Road stop it really is time to take action. So where do start? Has anyone here participated in something similar, who do we lobby? NTA, anyone in particular? Local Councillors? Who? If people want to get involved PM me.

What do we want? Simple, at least one Xpresso service in the AM, direct and I mean Direct and not letting the single passenger that gets of at the Blanch Slip Road or the single passenger that gets of at the Navan Road Travel Lodge (in facts gets dropped off right outside the gate).

We want an express to Dublin with first stop at either the Mather / Phibs - O'Connell Street and then the green.

In the Evening at least one Express at 4:30, 5:30, 6:30 via the Port Tunnell.

How hard is that to provide?

This is public transport and your ticket is being subsidised by the tax payer. You decided to live out in the sticks, now deal with the consequences.

This is public transport and your ticket is being subsidised by the tax payer. You decided to live out in the sticks, now deal with the consequences.

thanks for that. telling like it is huh?, why you should be on vinchenzo brown, he'd love you. And since I am a very much paid up tax payer meself the least thing I don't expect is to spend up to 2 hours travelling precisely 30 miles when there is a big '**** off' motorway running parrallel to to the road I'm on, Public transport or no public transport.

But sur Naaaavan is only an hour from Dublin and is a large town, hardly the sticks! Ardee on the other hand........:D

And the hundreds leaving Navan in the morning to go into town are all doing so to collect social welfare, not a sinner among them working or paying tax! shocking really that they are constructively critising the service!

This from somebody who earlier in the thread claims to be getting off at Bracetown, EHH hardly the centre of the universe by any manner or means,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

At the end of the day subsidised services such as these are there to serve everyone (and that includes the few getting on/off at various points). Frankly, point scoring off each other is not going to solve this problem.

For this service to be successful it needs a mix of services, which to my mind is:
    1) A limited number serving Bracetown at peak times (one or two in either direction)
    2) A number of express services via the Port Tunnel, M50 and M3
    3) The regular 109 service along Navan Road and serving Blanchardstown but bypassing Clonee

There is a resource issue in terms of how many buses/drivers are available to operate services but I'm sure with some goodwill that could be resolved.

I would suggest following Alek Smart's advice and making a submission to the NTA and Bus Eireann in a coherent calm manner that makes the case for a balanced service level that would still suit everyone.

lxflyer wrote: »
    At the end of the day subsidised services such as these are there to serve everyone (and that includes the few getting on/off at various points). Frankly, point scoring off each other is not going to solve this problem.

For this service to be successful it needs a mix of services, which to my mind is:
    1) A limited number serving Bracetown at peak times (one or two in either direction)
    2) A number of express services via the Port Tunnel, M50 and M3
    3) The regular 109 service along Navan Road and serving Blanchardstown but bypassing Clonee

There is a resource issue in terms of how many buses/drivers are available to operate services but I'm sure with some goodwill that could be resolved.

I would suggest following Alek Smart's advice and making a submission to the NTA and Bus Eireann in a coherent calm manner that makes the case for a balanced service level that would still suit everyone.

Well put sir good and valid points.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

Good points xflyer. At the moment there are no express buses for dunshaughlin. In fact it is now quicker to get the bus that goes via the port tunnel to navan and drive back to dunshaughlin than get the regular bus to dunshaughlin. Now how does that make sense. I tested it this week

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭malene

I wish they would STOP going into the shopping center in blanch from Navan. Feck all use it.

Yep, totally agreed Malene, the point has been made here several times that BE appear to have no problem inconveniencing the vast majority for the sake of a minute number of passengers. A regional bus coming of a dualcarriage way and into the known traffic blackspot of an urban shopping centre makes very little sense.

I understand that the route is under review again, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

I was lucky enough to get the 5.30 to Navan a few weeks back via the port tunnel and it was at the Ardboyne in just under the hour mark.

Surely there is something to be said for the 6.30 express doing the same. I mean there are 3 buses at 6.30 so plenty of room for the small numbers who get on between Bus Aras and Blanch on the other two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

lxflyer wrote: »
    At the end of the day subsidised services such as these are there to serve everyone (and that includes the few getting on/off at various points).

I'm very much open to correction on this, but I thought I heard somewhere that the 109 is actually profitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

All of Bus Eireann's stage carriage services are covered by the PSO Contract with the NTA.

The non-subsidised business is the Expressway network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Colm_Dowling

Hi,

From reading this thread I see there is an express at 5.30 which goes through the port tunnel to Navan. A work colleague also confirmed a bus passes her at Jury's each evening at 5.30 heading towards the point so I assume it goes through the port tunnel. When I called Bus Eireann they said no such service exists and all 109's go via the navan road. Can anyone clarify this for me as it looks to me like there is a phantum 109 heading for the port tunnel every evening!!!

Thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I'm not a user of the 109, but to me, the sensible answer to the problems of Blanchardstown would be very simply solved if the NRA updated the access roads into the area from the n/M3. Whoever designed the Mulhuddart entry and exit system should be removed from the job, and replaced with someone who knows how to design a road system that works. Both ends of the shopping centre are appallingly badly designed and operated junctions that are slow at the best of times, and almost static at peak times. A real help would be to put another junction on to the M50 on the Cappagh road, to facilitate the massive numbers of people working on the Industrial Parks around that area, the present access roads are a disaster.

As for now, if the inbound entry and exit were reversed, and a second bridge put in, it would be very easy to come off the N3, stop, and drop straight back on again without the queuing that happens at the moment as a direct result of the ignorant design of that junction.

In the same way, if a new entry slip on to the outbound N3 was put in by the Quinn building, and make the circulatory system one way, and put a bus lane in by Currys, and make it a change point for the system so that people wanting to go to other places in the area, or even places like the Southside, could get a link connection there.

I suppose what I'm saying is that there are a lot of places that people work in that are outside of the very narrow corridors covered by BE services, and those areas could be much better served if there were a few interchange points on all of the services where it would be possible to change from one service to another and get connections to places like Sandyford, Tallaght, the Naas Road area, without having to go into the centre of town and out again.

Another option would be to make more use of the Clonee Park & Ride area as an end point for some of the bus routes, so that it could act as a feeder to other areas of the city.

It may well be that doing some of these things would increase the demand for the 109, which might then justify a 109X, and maybe a couple of other options, the 109A from the Airport to Ashbourne seems to work, a 109B as a local service using the old N3 through Dunshauglin, Bracetown and Clonee, a 109X express, using the M3 and Port Tunnel, and if people want to get off between Blanchardstown and Phibsborough, then that's what Dublin bus and the Leap Ticket is supposed to be for. In the same way, Bracetown, and Clonee are also on the 105 route, so maybe one stop at the Park & ride, if an interchange at the Park and Ride was properly in place with Rail, and Dublin bus routes.

Fundamentally, the whole Bus system needs to be revised, and made fit for purpose. It's crazy that BE serves Ashbourne, when DB serves places like Maynooth, Balbriggan and Blessington, all of which are further out. Another option for the 109 would be for passengers for the 109 to get the 105 at Blanchardstown, or Clonee, or Ashtown, and change to the 109 at Clonee Park and Ride, and make the Park and Ride the last stop inbound, and the first stop outbound. I suspect that there would be takers for the Rail link if it was operating at convenient times,

I don't want to derail the 109 thread, but a closer look at the 103/105 and 109 as a combined entity, with interlinks and a similar concept to the LEAP would help.

The DB routes in and out of the city are too much hub and spoke, with the emphasis on the centre of the city, and the way Dublin has changed, a lot of people now work in places like Sandyford, Tallaght, Clondalkin, Parkwest, Citywest and other places, and there is no service worth talking about from the Northside of the city to any of those places, and commuting via the city centre, regardless of the ongoing route via bus or LUAS or DART, having to go to the city centre first is a total killer, in that the ongoing journey back out, or in at the other end of the day, makes for missed connections, or a very long journey, hence the high car usage to cover the areas that just are not public transport friendly.

the very valid issues of the 109 are just a small part of a much wider issue, the needs of a modern city that have not been properly addressed in over 20 years by a transport system that is not evolving in a rapid enough way to meet the real needs of the people of the city. In over 20 years living in Ashbourne, apart from a massive increase in frequency, the only changes have been the very welcome introduction of the 109A in the last while, and the extension of 1 bus every 2 hours on the 105 to Ashbourne that serves Ratoath and Blanchardstown.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

Hi Colm

To answer your question, Yes there is a 5.30 Navan bus that goes through the Port Tunnel. When you contact Bus Eireann they will tell you that there isn't until you say you have been on it and then they say oh yes there is.

At 5.30pm 3 109 buses leave from Bus Aras. The private white double decker goes through the tunnel. The first stop is Garlow Cross. It is usually in Navan under the hour. At the moment this means that those travelling to Navan are home much quicker than those travelling to Dunshaughlin. Makes no sense at all

.... the 109A from the Airport to Ashbourne seems to work,
    Fundamentally, the whole Bus system needs to be revised, and made fit for purpose. It's crazy that BE serves Ashbourne, when DB serves places like Maynooth, Balbriggan and Blessington, all of which are further out. ....

I havn't got the 109A since the timetable was changed, has it actually become more reliable? I remember it being spectacularly behind schedule at certain times of the day, rountinely running up to 25 minutes late.

Though Dublin Bus would result in cheaper fares for Ashbourne, I would have some concerns if they were to take over the route. Could it make journey times longer? The service could end up being an extension of an exisitng DB route, resulting in it going through several different new areas within Dublin.

Also, even if the exact same route was operated, persumably every current DB stop would be served, resulting in a huge increase in passenger numbers. It would be very annoying to find the bus leaving full at peak times, only for half the passengers to get off in Glasnevin/ Finglas.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

DB run express limited stop services out to places like Leixlip/Lucan area, among others, so it's not hard.

Another option would be that the "outer" services would only pick up outbound, at limited stops, and only drop on the way in at peak periods, if they then wanted to change that off peak, I don't see that being an issue, with LEAP, drop off at Finglas if you want Ballymun or whatever.

A service from the city centre out through the tunnel to the M50 would I suspect also be popular, the 103X maybe. If the route from the airport to the N2 wasn't so appallingly bad, the 103x could go DPT, Airport, Ashbourne.

Another option would be for the 103 to be merged with the 105, and then have a different structure. Not definitive, but on the hour, Busaras via Phibsboro to Blanch, then (maybe) Dunshaughlin, Ratoath, Ashbourne, Swords, then DPT to town, at 20 past the hour, opposite direction,
    At 40, Busaras to Phibsboro on the existing route, Finglas, old N2, Ashbourne, Kilmoon cross, Duleek, and then on to Drogheda, but for this to work, there would have to be LEAP option at Ashbourne to allow change from one to another, so that (for example) people from Ratoath could get to Drogheda, or Duleek.

That way, there's links to the hospitals at Drogheda, Blanchardstown, and Beaumont, (if LEAP is properly set up for interchange at places like Swords, (or the airport) and it's then easier to get to places like Coolock, Malahide, and the like, and if links from Clonee Park and Ride were done properly, maybe even Tallaght, Sandyford and the like, and the number of people having to go into the centre of the city when they don't really want to is improved. If the Pace park and ride was also linked to the Red Cow park and ride, that opens up Tallaght, Citywest, Parkwest, and all the industrial areas. A few more services like this and maybe even the traffic on the M50 would reduce some.

Would be even better if there were some other options, like DB routes that were not city centre serving routes, but more peripheral. There's a few, but not many so far. If they got it right, it would be feasible to use public transport to get to work in places like Ballycoolin, or Northwest, or Mulhuddart, or Swords, or Greenhills, or any one of a huge number of large estates that are present are only feasible in a sensible time by using a car.

a regular interlinking limited stop service from Howth Junction, to the airport, the N2 junction area, Phoenix Park Rail, (Via the 50), Red Cow park and ride, Sandyford Luas, and maybe even Cherrywood, or Dun Laoghaire DART would get more than a few takers at peak periods, if it was tied in with the hub and spoke services as well, and maybe feeders that don't as such go into town.

For an example, have a look at how Trams, buses and metro trains interlink and work in Amsterdam, it's so easy, and it works, which is what's needed in Dublin, and dare I say it, it would work a darn sight better if one company was running it rather than 3, but that's another story.

Ohhhh.... Can't do that, there's still too many vested interests to get backhanders from the M50 Tolling scheme payback.

And what would we do if there was a transport system that actually transported people where they really wanted to go.................. BAD idea, I forgot that the real reason BE still exists as a separate entity this close to Dublin is because it's semi state.........

Forget I suggested it, until the troika have forced the politicians to privatise all of the semi states, then it might have a chance of working.

Until then, carry on suffering or using the car, they need the revenue it generates.........................................Imagine all the VAT, petrol Duty and Carbon tax they wouldn't get if public transport did work, the saving in CO2 emissions charges might even make it worth doing, but that requires some real forward thinking, which seems to be a problem to politicians, they're too busy fixing all the things that should have already been done.

Oh, I forgot again, we've already been well and truly done, but that was the last lot, this lot haven't really got into their stride yet on doing us even more.......

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

DB run express limited stop services out to places like Leixlip/Lucan area, among others, so it's not hard.....

True and the current Leap card fare for the 66x from Maynooth is €3.75 each way, adding up to €7.50 a day. BE's current day return rate to Ashbourne is €6.80 (Though I know that's going up by 5% this week to roughly €7.15).
    As that stands, I can't really see any benefit to DB taking over. The Leap card functionality on DB would be a plus but apparently this will work with BE by summer 2012. Also, on a minor note BE's buses are generally much more comfortable that Dublin Buses too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Kutebride

After not getting the bus for months (driving navan to m3 parkway for train) i decided to go back on the bus yesterday.
    07.35 at ardboyne had me in kildare street at 9.
    17.30 EXPRESS went through port tunnell and used the M3 toll and it was the faster ever ever commute at peak time.;)

This a.m. a different story
    07.35 arrived 3 mins early. I was right behind it so didnt make it while had to park car car.
    08.00 got to kildare street at 09.30
    Wonder will I make the express this evening after getting in late to work.
    Is there any other express buses that we know of?

• Advertisement

Count yourself lucky you weren't on the 7.05 this morning that collided with a car in Phibsborough!

Most of the bus opted to get off in Phisborough and stroll into town, dont think it was the drivers fault in fairness, but they really dont communicate with people at all in BE. Been using the buses for years and have seen a fair few fender benders and incidents but its very rare the driver will come up top and tell you what the hell is going on! they seem happy to let people sit there and wonder, until someone is brave enough to go down and find out whats going on. Remember a similar incident about 6 months back on a 109, it stopped on NCR, no idea of what was going on for twenty minutes and next thing its surrounded by cops, thought it was a drugs burst or something, turned out a squad car had hit the back of the bus!

As regards expresses, there is a 6.30 to Navan too, but its takes the normal route as far as Blanch and doesnt use the port tunnel. That route is a known traffic blackspot and is getting worse. Almost the full hour and 15 to Navan tonight, the majority of it getting to Blanch. the 5.30 (arguably a heavier time for traffic than 6.30) that uses the port tunnel can do in an hour.

I've harped on this point before, fact is the 6.30 should use the tunnell. I've gotten it 8 times in the last three weeks and 3 people in total have got on at the matter,phibsboro, Cabra &Ashtowns stops over the eight journeys.

This at a time when there are other r109s going the same route is madness.

But as somebody pointed out in an earlier thread the fact that BE are denying the existence of the 5.30 port tunnel service, assumedly means there are not pushed on using it for the 6.30

Advertisement