Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mass shooting New Zealand Mosque - MOD NOTE POST #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Why are people surprised that extremist acts rile up extremists??? There are countless examples throughout history, go no further than this island. This is foolishness and can blind to the danger of where this can lead to.
    It is exactly what the extremists, on both sides, want.

Lets just hope there isnt an inevitability to this kind of a path.

Violence begets violence, it's why we are so fearful of a hard border as we Irish know it all to well. The path to escalation from extremists groups is not a long one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

He probably feels the same as the rest of us right minded people, but why do you about him specifically?

is not the www fueling this crap?

imo it is.
    hatred and murder is just a click away.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭The Moleman

untwist your knickers there lads. it was a genuine question about the availability of guns in NZ, not a political remark.

My knickers are just fine and I never said it wasn't a valid question.

I was simply pointing out that there are other ways to get your hands on a weapon regardless of a nation's laws.

The fact is that is you who is getting melodramatic about my post, not me about yours, so check your own panties before commenting on mine. ;)

batgoat wrote: »
    The title of that manifesto alludes to "The Kalergi Plan". A far right conspiracy about population replacement. Fair few users in this site subscribe to it and the likes of Gemma O'Doherty have pushed it. So it was very much a person with extreme racist political views so no question of it being a terror attack.

Never heard of that 'plan' but 'replacement migration' is something the UN refer to in the past (so 'replacement migration' is no conspiracy theory)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replacement_migration#Criticism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Never heard of that 'plan' but 'replacement migration' is something the UN refer to in the past (so 'replacement migration' is no conspiracy theory)

Here's the conspiracy, this has everything to do with racism in this instance. The stuff about the Irish population increase by 2040 originates from the idea, just to use a recent example.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Replacement_conspiracy_theory

• Advertisement

Calhoun wrote: »
    Violence begets violence, it's why we are so fearful of a hard border as we Irish know it all to well. The path to escalation from extremists groups is not a long one.

This is where standing shoulder to shoulder is vitally important. In NI at the beginning there were some mixed areas, people got burned and hunted out so the terrorists could control the areas with no outsiders. This is why no go areas and ghettos are trouble. It is also why assimilation is important or at the very least not allowing hate speech or preaching (from either side)

Alot lies with the capabilities of intelligence and police services now but also with society

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Three men and one woman under arrest a/C to a Christchurch resident being interviewed on Newstalk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

There was a documentary on fertility lastweek, and they had Irish experts on talking about migration as a form of population replacement for lower birthrates.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭The Moleman

is not the www fueling this crap?

imo it is.
    hatred and murder is just a click away.

No the internet in not fuelling this, people are fuelling this.

The internet is a tool. Blaming it is like blaming a hammer for hitting your fingers. You hit your own fingers.

Berners-Lee carries no responsibility for what people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

NZ have very open gun laws. Where high powered weapons can be got much more easily in comparison to Oz, and also basically all European countries.

• Advertisement

In case anyone wants normal conversation instead of the standard shltshow here:

https://old.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/b18k24/gunman_opens_fire_at_mosque_in_christchurch_new/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Calhoun wrote: »
    There was a documentary on fertility lastweek, and they had Irish experts on talking about migration as a form of population replacement for lower birthrates.

From the conspiracy... It also focuses upon non white people. As racist often tends to.

"The conspiracy theory commonly apportions blame to a global and liberal elite,[6] such as Brussels and the European Union, which is portrayed as directing a planned and deliberate plot or scheme to carry out the replacement of European peoples.[4]"

what's left of ISIS/Al Qaeda will love this.
    more ammunition to fan the flames of hatred.

awful, awful news.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Any evidence this scumbag even claims to be Christian or claims to be acting in the name of Christianity?
    Or are you just trying to use this atrocity to make some cheap point?

I think it's fair to say that Christian terrorists attacked the mosque.
    University of Auckland Professor Douglas Pratt is an international expert in religious terrorism and the author of Religion and Extremism: Rejecting Diversity.

He said the language, phrases and world-view of the suspected Dean Ave gunman's manifesto pointed to this being a form of Christian terrorism.

"This is not simply political, it is a deeply-engrained religious extremism.

"These people act on the premise that Muslims are the people to be feared because they are seen to be extreme, and this would be considered a pre-emptive strike."

Pratt, who has been tracking this type of terrorism since the London bombings, said there had always been an underground thread of this in New Zealand. It entwined with far-right white supremacist beliefs.

"As we become more secular religion goes more underground, including extreme forms of it. I was expecting at some stage it would manifest in a violent act."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

NZ have very open gun laws. Where high powered weapons can be got much more easily in comparison to Oz, and also basically all European countries.

I've read they (NZ) track the person, not the weapons.
    So if you pass all checks, you can own wtf you like?

I think it's fair to say that Christian terrorists attacked the mosque.

Link? I haven't seen anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

why oh why do they insist on naming these cùnts...

Link? I haven't seen anything like that.

Stuff is a popular news website in NZ

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/111324932/christchurch-mosque-shootings-naive-to-think-this-wouldnt-happen-here
    CHRISTIAN RELIGIOUS EXTREMISM
    University of Auckland Professor Douglas Pratt is an international expert in religious terrorism and the author of Religion and Extremism: Rejecting Diversity.

He said the language, phrases and world-view of the suspected Dean Ave gunman's manifesto pointed to this being a form of Christian terrorism.

"This is not simply political, it is a deeply-engrained religious extremism.

"These people act on the premise that Muslims are the people to be feared because they are seen to be extreme, and this would be considered a pre-emptive strike."

Pratt, who has been tracking this type of terrorism since the London bombings, said there had always been an underground thread of this in New Zealand. It entwined with far-right white supremacist beliefs.

"As we become more secular religion goes more underground, including extreme forms of it. I was expecting at some stage it would manifest in a violent act."

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Family member working in a hospital in another NZ city. There getting casualties flown in.

• Advertisement

No the internet in not fuelling this, people are fuelling this.

The internet is a tool. Blaming it is like blaming a hammer for hitting your fingers. You hit your own fingers.

Berners-Lee carries no responsibility for what people do.

this is a little serious than whacking your thumb with a hammer.
    the www has changed the way people interact, and view one another.
    just stay tuned to this discussion and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Havockk

What an incredibly sad and pointless loss of life. I'm at a loss for words.

So no link? Got it.

I just gave you a link.

Who did you think it was? Atheist terrorists? Muslim terrorists?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Given this happened this morning, i dont want any victim blaming or conspiracy theories that have no direct basis or backing in fact. Muffin wont be posting here again today, so please move on from his comments (which i will be removing from various quotes shortly).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

i wonder how Tim Berners-Lee feels this morning?

The internet has become the sewer of humanity. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Death toll keeps climbing, 50 now.

Horrible news, and retaliation attacks will come - make no mistake, the Islamists are delighted about this attack.

I just gave you a link.

Who did you think it was? Atheist terrorists? Muslim terrorists?

Um, terrorists?

I've no idea what you're trying to achieve here. Until we know more, this was a terrorist attack on Muslims, not a Christian terrorist attack on Muslims.

• Advertisement

batgoat wrote: »

Jasus he's a dead-ringer for yer man off Newstalk, Ivan Yates.

Advertisement