Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Companion free travel pass use when DART/Train station ticket office is closed.

• 13-03-2019 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just wondered if anyone knows what a companion FTP holder should do if primary FTP holder cannot buy a ticket for the companion because the ticket office is closed?

Sorry for the long winded question.

I have sent a mail off to Irish Rail, but it takes several days for a response, so I thought someone here might know.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Hi,
    Just wondered if anyone knows what a companion FTP holder should do if primary FTP holder cannot buy a ticket for the companion because the ticket office is closed?

Sorry for the long winded question.

I have sent a mail off to Irish Rail, but it takes several days for a response, so I thought someone here might know.

Thanks.

Get on the train, once you are with the pass holder for the journey you are covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Get on the train, once you are with the pass holder for the journey you are covered.

As long as you are within the SHZ. Within the DART zone you just need tag the ticket. If you are going intercity you technically need a ticket, some will enforce that some not, but I'd not take the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    As long as you are within the SHZ. Within the DART zone you just need tag the ticket. If you are going intercity you technically need a ticket, some will enforce that some not, but I'd not take the chance.

But if there's no one at the office to buy a ticket, what are they supposed to do? Miss the train to go off and find a manned office because of Irish Rail's staffing decisions?

If ticket office is closed you are covered. Revenue will know.

If you board a intercity train without a ticket and the office is open they are prefectly entitled to fine you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

If ticket office is closed you are covered. Revenue will know.

If you board a intercity train without a ticket and the office is open they are prefectly entitled to fine you.

I'm curious. Has it ever happened? Genuine question.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement

I'm curious. Has it ever happened? Genuine question.

Probably not!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Thanks for comments. I'll post up the reply from IR when I get it eventually.

My main concern is DART or other stations within the SHZ that require you to tag the ticket and pass at the barrier. How does the companion get through the barrier at either or both ends if h/she has not got a ticket because ticket office is closed!

You'd have to be nimble and quick to follow the FTP holder through the barrier, and it doesn't sound right either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

From my experience, they keep the barriers open whenever there's nobody in the office, have traveled as a companion with two different pass holders and never had a problem

Was even told once when getting the tickets that we didn't need them, to just board the DART without them, but that was just the office saving time rather than a policy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Also you seem to think that the pass holder is able to get through the barriers with their travel pass, which is not the case. If the office is manned, you need to get two tickets: one for the pass holder, and one for the companion

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

But if there's no one at the office to buy a ticket, what are they supposed to do? Miss the train to go off and find a manned office because of Irish Rail's staffing decisions?

One piece of advice someone I know received was to get off in the middle to buy a ticket! Journey was Limerick Junction to Athenry. No ticket office office open and machines didn't have Athenry as an option even though you can travel straight through. Person asked ticket check man what to do and he said "get out in Limerick and buy a ticket to Athenry." The person declined. It would have meant lugging or leaving their luggage and besides they considered the situation so absurd they declined to go along with it. they figured if the train traveled form A to B the machine should provide a ticket from A to B:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

One piece of advice someone I know received was to get off in the middle to buy a ticket! Journey was Limerick Junction to Athenry. No ticket office office open and machines didn't have Athenry as an option even though you can travel straight through. Person asked ticket check man what to do and he said "get out in Limerick and buy a ticket to Athenry." The person declined. It would have meant lugging or leaving their luggage and besides they considered the situation so absurd they declined to go along with it. they figured if the train traveled form A to B the machine should provide a ticket from A to B:confused:

That's ridiculous. I'd point blank refuse to do that also. It's not my problem if they don't staff an office and there's no alternative way of purchasing a ticket at the first station. IR should really cop themselves on.

My main concern is DART or other stations within the SHZ that require you to tag the ticket and pass at the barrier. How does the companion get through the barrier at either or both ends if h/she has not got a ticket because ticket office is closed!

You'd have to be nimble and quick to follow the FTP holder through the barrier, and it doesn't sound right either!

If a ticket office is closed at least one barrier will be left open.

If you have a card and are traveling with somebody the barrier will only accept it once so you companion will either use the open barrier or staff will let them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Thanks for comments. I'll post up the reply from IR when I get it eventually.

I had this experience at Tara Street, where there is no ticket office. I asked a staff member how I could get a ticket for my wife and he told me that we both had to get through the barrier together. There was no open barrier and he didn't offer to open one for my wife either. When we arrived at Malahide we had to do the same again to exit.

Fortunately there was a ticket office open in Malahide for our journey home. That is the one and only time I have taken my wife on the DART with my FTP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Virtanen wrote: »

Was even told once when getting the tickets that we didn't need them, to just board the DART without them, but that was just the office saving time rather than a policy

I would have to disagree with this. From the Irishrail site:

You must be in possession of your free travel pass when travelling on board all Iarnród Éireann services and you must present your free travel pass at the ticket office to receive a ticket to travel on all services except the DART.

Tarabuses wrote: »
    I had this experience at Tara Street, where there is no ticket office. I asked a staff member how I could get a ticket for my wife and he told me that we both had to get through the barrier together. There was no open barrier and he didn't offer to open one for my wife either. When we arrived at Malahide we had to do the same again to exit.

Fortunately there was a ticket office open in Malahide for our journey home. That is the one and only time I have taken my wife on the DART with my FTP.

That is EXACTLY the point I was trying to communicate. Thank you.

It doesn't sound very user friendly to me anyway and a tad embarrassing/dangerous also! Many passengers behind your wife probably thought she was trying to get on for free by just jumping in behind you. It has been known to happen with fare dodgers.....

I don't think it is good enough personally. But anyway, will await a response from IR.

Continued thanks for comments.

This is staff members not doing there jobs. I hope you reported both instances. No excuses for them not opening the barriers in both situations.

That is EXACTLY the point I was trying to communicate. Thank you.

It doesn't sound very user friendly to me anyway and a tad embarrassing/dangerous also! Many passengers behind your wife probably thought she was trying to get on for free by just jumping in behind you. It has been known to happen with fare dodgers.....

I don't think it is good enough personally. But anyway, will await a response from IR.

Continued thanks for comments.

If there are staff there demand barriers are open. I never come across ones who refuse.

If they refuse use this number as there is a serious risk of injury to those who tailgate barriers

http://www.irishrail.ie/contact-us/emergency-contact-details

The control center won't be long getting the issue sorted and force action to be taken. They only way IE listen is if you really push the boundaries such as using this number.

If they make your life difficult, you do the same!

If there are staff there demand barriers are open. I never come across ones who refuse.

If they refuse use this number as there is a serious risk of injury to those who tailgate barriers

The control center won't be long getting the issue sorted and force action to be taken. They only way IE listen is if you really push the boundaries such as using this number.

Thanks. But I really think that number could be for someone falling on to the tracks or something terrible like that. Still, I have put it in my contacts in case I get stuck at the barrier following the FTP holder,and cannot get out!

Just being a tad lighthearted here, but honestly, it is just not good enough.

Anyway, if I get a reply from IR, it should be interesting to see what they say. But there is no getting away from having to double jump through the barrier. That is just not good enough in anyone's language really. And as you say could cause serious injury/embarrassment/delay etc.

OMG.

Thanks. But I really think that number could be for someone falling on to the tracks or something terrible like that. Still, I have put it in my contacts in case I get stuck at the barrier following the FTP holder,and cannot get out!

Just being a tad lighthearted here, but honestly, it is just not good enough.

Anyway, if I get a reply from IR, it should be interesting to see what they say. But there is no getting away from having to double jump through the barrier. That is just not good enough in anyone's language really. And as you say could cause serious injury/embarrassment/delay etc.

OMG.

Indeed its exactly what the number is for but sometimes drastic action is needed to get things done. Its just ridiculous if staff refuse to let people through barriers when they have valid documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

This is staff members not doing there jobs. I hope you reported botyh instances. No excuses for them not opening the barriers in both situations.

They didn't need to open the barrier the pass holder can do it with the card.

• Advertisement

That's a tad of an overreaction to be fair.

Indeed its exactly what the number is for but sometimes drastic action is needed to get things done. Its just ridiculous if staff refuse to let people through barriers when they have valid documents.

That valid documents opens the barrier

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    That valid documents opens the barrier

A paper pass does not and a card will only open for one person even if a companion is traveling.
    That's a tad of an overreaction to be fair.

I agree but it takes firm action for IE to listen.
    They didn't need to open the barrier the pass holder can do it with the card.

As said above, yes they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

This is staff members not doing there jobs. I hope you reported both instances. No excuses for them not opening the barriers in both situations.

In fact there were two other staff members at Tara Street listening to my conversation and neither contradicted the instruction I was given. There was no one in Malahide to open the barrier there. I assumed this was IR procedure and did not report the incident although I thought it was very unusual.

In fact there were two other staff members at Tara Street listening to my conversation and neither contradicted the instruction I was given. There was no one in Malahide to open the barrier there. I assumed this was IR procedure and did not report the incident although I thought it was very unusual.

Of course fellow colleagues wouldn't point out an error!

A paper pass does not and a card will only open for one person even if a companion is traveling.

I agree but it takes firm action for IE to listen.

As said above, yes they did.

You shouldn't have a paper pass at this stage.

Of course fellow colleagues wouldn't point out an error!

No error.

No error.

There was an error, I suggest you ask your manager and if he says your correct ask him why there are public safety notices warning against the same thing.

As for card/paper passed they are still in circulation and no offical end date yet.

There was an error, I suggest you ask your manager and if he says your correct ask him why there are public safety notices warning against the same thing.

As for card/paper passed they are still in circulation and no offical end date yet.

Nope, no error. I suggest to wait until you hear both sides of a story before criticising and being judgemental

• Advertisement

Nope, no error. I suggest to wait until you hear both sides of a story before criticising and being judgemental

At no point should a staff member refuse to let passengers through barriers if they have a valid ticket.

Advertisement