Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

best kebab in dublin

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Since you've posted this in the Food forum I'll recommend the kebab recipe in the Cooking Club, which is the nicest I've ever tasted. In case you want to try making them yourself :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057395904

I'm moving this to the Dublin city forum now though because it's better suited to there, you're more likely to get replies from people in the region.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Merged with original Best Kebab thread

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I haven't actually. Never even heard of them. I kind of gave up on kebabs here few years back because i felt they were awful. If Zaytoons was the best i didnt think we wete up to much. But now that you mentioned them two i think i will dip my toes back into the Dublin kebab trade and sample a juicy kofta or doner kebab.

Agree that chip shop kebabs are awful stuff, the Italian chippers dont put any effort into them whatsoever. I dont know why they even sell them.

But if you think you cant get a good kebab in Dublin then take another look as things have changed in the last couple of years. As mentioned Pasha and Passion4Food both putting out excellent food. The chicken shish in Passion4Food is marinated in yogurt, lemon and saffron and is divine. Zaytoon still there too but the other too are a level above imo. Havent tried the new place Reyna on Dame Street yet but friends have and recommend it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭raheny red

Falafel temple bar do an excellent excellent kebab

Their spot in Coolmine is great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

Zaytoon. No question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Chicken shawarma from Shouk Drumcondra

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Zaytoon. No question.

Have you been to pasha or passion 4 food. Zaytoon is no where near there level.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Yeah zaytoon are not as good as they used to be. Havent had pasha but passion 4 food and even the shwarma company were better

I had a lamb kebab delivered from fayrouz on cork st during the lockdow. ITs a lebanese place and was different...they gave me 3 mini kebabs rather than one big one, and containers with the mrat,salad,amd sauces. Had to wrap it myself but it was tasty, would go back to get one and eatin rather than deliver

Chicken shawarma from Shouk Drumcondra

Shouk!!! How could I forget?! One of the best spots on the northside for grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Why not Irish families setting these chippers up?.
    Leo Burdock was Irish.
    Beshoff was a Russian.

Chipper kebabs are a totally different food to me, I can fully see why they sell, just as I understand why mcdonalds double cheeseburgers sell, yet would be ridiculed in a "best burger in dublin" thread. They are often the only spicyish thing on the chipper menu and cheaper than kebab houses. Its bigger than a quarter pounder (or should be!) and I do not like most half pounders in chippers so good if you want something bigger. You can also get chicken fillet kebabs, some will use crap but some have proper pressure fried chicken floured on the premises. I would get a kebab tray over a kebab in a chipper.

Zaytoons started doing kebab trays but point blank refused to give salad with it, even though loads of customers were requesting it on social media. Very odd goings on, they were borderline abusive to people who were simply asking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭trellheim

yet would be ridiculed in a "best burger in dublin" thread.
    IN the best burger thread, McDonalds comes up sometimes, as its just what people want now and again

Indian Curry Club, Kilbarrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I tried Reyna (formerly Iskanders) recently..really worth a shot. Virtually identical to the likes of P4P and Pasha.

I'm still surprised that nobody ever mentions Falafel in temple bar.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I'm still surprised that nobody ever mentions Falafel in temple bar.

A few posts back. Great gear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I had Reyna for the first time last night-it's probably now the best casual kebab place in the city centre. I had a chicken shish meal-the meat itself wasn't as good as P4F either in flavour or quality (still decent though) and the bread and chips were about the same. The side salad was streets ahead though.

sabat wrote: »
    I had Reyna for the first time last night-it's probably now the best casual kebab place in the city centre. I had a chicken shish meal-the meat itself wasn't as good as P4F either in flavour or quality (still decent though) and the bread and chips were about the same. The side salad was streets ahead though.

Lovely, only came across it on instragram last night. Looks the business. Will need to head in soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Review of Reyna here by the Irish Times
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/restaurant-reviews/review-is-this-the-best-turkish-doner-kebab-in-ireland-1.4328331

Looks good but the kebabs dont include chips. For a kebab, chips and a soft drink you're looking at slightly over 15 euro.
    https://www.reyna.ie/menu/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Myself and a mate go into p4f once a month. Amazing kebab, tried pasha, was OK but not as good as p4f

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Equium

I've been to Reyna twice now and found it fantastic. It certainly gives Passion for Food a run for its money. The Durum in particular are delicious and the place is certainly an improvement on Iskanders. For some reason it is cheaper to visit than for delivery too.

Across the road, The Shawarma Company equally excited and frustrates. I've had a few fantastic meals in the place and a few rather substandard takeaways. Their kofta shawarma with taboulleh salad inside would be sensational.

Passion for Food is similar for me. On a good day it reminds me of top doner in Germany, on a bad day it's luke-warm slop. Definitely something you should eat on site. Their meat is good quality in fairness and the freshness of ingredients much higher than Zaytoon, etc.

One place I would absolutely recommend is Café Oasis in Smithfield. After eating there once it became my go-to kebab haven during lockdown... Much to the disgust of my weighing scales. Their mixed kebab meal with pitta bread and thick, rustic chips is top quality. Add in a taboulleh salad and extra bread with humus and it's on another level to anything else I've had in Dublin. Just make sure you get to the Deliveroo rider with an extra plastic bag in hand lest the kebab juices seep through the paper bag en route.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Equium wrote: »
    One place I would absolutely recommend is Café Oasis in Smithfield. After eating there once it became my go-to kebab haven during lockdown... Much to the disgust of my weighing scales. Their mixed kebab meal with pitta bread and thick, rustic chips is top quality. Add in a taboulleh salad and extra bread with humus and it's on another level to anything else I've had in Dublin. Just make sure you get to the Deliveroo rider with an extra plastic bag in hand lest the kebab juices seep through the paper bag en route.

Do you order the Kebab plate or Kebab sandwich?

• Advertisement

If there's a pitta involved it should be slid into the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

So is Reyna iskanders under a new name and refurb?

Same management etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,726 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Reyna looks like the real deal, from looking at the menu and pictures it looks like the Turkish places I used to go to in London where you could get enormous sharing platters. Have to check it out sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Anyone know anywhere that does a berlin style kebab? Not a pitta, not a naan. It's a thicker bread than a pitta, crispy on the outside but sliced and filled in a similar way to a pitta. No idea if it's authentic or not, but it's the best bread for a kebab imho.

Pics here

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Cienciano wrote: »
    Anyone know anywhere that does a berlin style kebab?
    Last November the UK chain German Doner Kebab put out a press release that they were planning to open 40 outlets in Ireland, beginning with Dublin in summer 2020. There doesn't seem to have been any update since. I'd say that's your only hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Equium

Passenger wrote: »
    Do you order the Kebab plate or Kebab sandwich?

The mixed plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

If there's a pitta involved it should be slid into the bin.

It would probably be from Borza.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Equium wrote: »
    I've been to Reyna twice now and found it fantastic. It certainly gives Passion for Food a run for its money. The Durum in particular are delicious and the place is certainly an improvement on Iskanders. For some reason it is cheaper to visit than for delivery too.

Did they keep the old Iskanders spices for the kebab? I was into that even though the quality of the meat in Iskanders went down over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Have to disagree with the above regarding cafe oasis.
    We got it delivered. Absolute ****e. Couldn't even finish it as it was so tasteless.

About Reyna... Only had it once but it was really tasty. Might have to head back this weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Dublin Kebab Club on facebook recommends both passion 4 food and pasha.

They never shut up about P4F, it's a bit out of my way so I did a detour there one day.

Disappointing. Like, not a bad kebab or anything, but jaysis the posts on DKC would have you thinking it was beyond heaven sent. Didn't find it particularly filling either. While their selling point seems to be that they serve lamb as it comes rather than the processed mystery meat that rotates all day in most joints.....I gotta be honest, I find the shavings of mystery meat nicer than the unprocessed lamb they do.

All up, I'd give it a 6. Not bad by any shot, but I wouldn't be arsed going back.

Not a deal breaker but does anywhere in Dublin do kebabs the way they are commonly done in Australia? They are wrapped then stuck under a sandwich maker for a minute to toast/ harden the bread up.

Wouldn't get it all the time but it's a nice change once in a while.

Advertisement