Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Adverts 2019

14567810»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It's sad that people don't appreciate their loved ones until they're gone. I hope that ad made some people think twice and put the important things in life first.
    I had read about that Hafod ad but hadn't actually seen it until now. It's adorable!
    I love it, only watched it there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I personally find that Edeka advert a bit bleak !

Speaking of bleak ads, here is this year's McDonalds for Germany.I only watched it once and it was enough for me.

You have been warned !

on a much lighter note
    Nutella
    same advert running in France/Germany/Italy - this is the French version

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

That McDonald's one is horrific- the ending does not make up for It!
    Nutella one is sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Finally heard the Barrys Tea ad. Slightly get the feeling they'd prefer not to have to pay for it as its so incredibly long, but its just not Christmas until it turns up.

Allegro (Polish ecommerce) - Photo Album

Carrefour (French supermarket) - Already 60 years together

• Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭DvB

L1011 wrote: »
    Finally heard the Barrys Tea ad. Slightly get the feeling they'd prefer not to have to pay for it as its so incredibly long, but its just not Christmas until it turns up.

That the one about the train set?
    Not a fan myself, rambles on far too long for radio IMO.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Just thought I'd bump this thread (the adverts thread is my favourite one in the build up) and see what everyones thoughts were for the 2019 crop?
    Any clear favourite?
    Generally a good / bad year?

For me, personally, there wasn't many new ones that really stood out as being memorable and I'm prety sure I added none of the 2019 crop to my Christmas advert playlist, though I must go through the thread again & see if there's any worth adding after further post Christmas reflection.

Funnily enough there seemed, to me anyway, that there are less & less christmas adverts being shown on TV, i appreciate that I dont watch a huge amount of live tv with adverts in it, but when we did there certainly didnt seem to be as many, I know I barely saw the Guinness one for example, & never saw the corn flakes one at all. Even the coke one that usually bombards you at every turn seemed to be played less & less. So I suppose it begs the question, is it as a marketing tool dying out as people move to other media vehicles?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

DvB wrote: »
    Just thought I'd bump this thread (the adverts thread is my favourite one in the build up) and see what everyones thoughts were for the 2019 crop?
    Any clear favourite?
    Generally a good / bad year?

For me, personally, there wasn't many new ones that really stood out as being memorable and I'm prety sure I added none of the 2019 crop to my Christmas advert playlist, though I must go through the thread again & see if there's any worth adding after further post Christmas reflection.

Funnily enough there seemed, to me anyway, that there are less & less christmas adverts being shown on TV, i appreciate that I dont watch a huge amount of live tv with adverts in it, but when we did there certainly didnt seem to be as many, I know I barely saw the Guinness one for example, & never saw the corn flakes one at all. Even the coke one that usually bombards you at every turn seemed to be played less & less. So I suppose it begs the question, is it as a marketing tool dying out as people move to other media vehicles?

Similarly DvB, nothing new blew me away this year. The oldies are still the best ones. I did like the Dunnes one, which I know was from last (2018) season as well however feels 'new' to me compared to Guinness, Coke etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I thought Kevin the Carrott has been done to death, and the Lidl ad with the elves was pure awful! Lazy sexist stereotyping of 'silly daddy' too.
    The Three (Connected Restaurant) was not great either. If you miss everyone that much, move back home! :pac: Plus, a lot more screaming than I like in an ad.

Vodafone (The Swim) and The McDonalds ones were decent enough.

John Lewis lost it's spark a few years ago. I think we've called it a victim of it's own success here many times. A good ad this year, especially compared to Elton John Lewis last year, but didn't blow me away.

The Welsh hardware shop was a little gem, and I wouldn't have seen it only for this thread. :)

The Spar Christmas trees, Coke, Guinness etc... are still my favourites. Can't beat the classics!

(My favourite ads from Christmas 2018 were the Heathrow bears and Sainsbury's Big Night)

As for Christmas 2019, my personal favourites are:
    Wow Factor (and big budget to match): the return of ET by Sky and Xfinity
    Supermarket ad: Asda with their Northern Lights
    Cheeky ad: Intersport France and their Fit Santa
    Family: New Zealand Post and their Little Lies

My absolute favourite: Hafod - the Welsh Hardware shop

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

https://www.youtube.com/user/XmasTvElf

This is a brilliant YouTube channel that complies all Christmas tv ads by year as well. Good going back over the prior years and reminisce.

Loughc wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/user/XmasTvElf

This is a brilliant YouTube channel that complies all Christmas tv ads by year as well. Good going back over the prior years and reminisce.

I'm already subscribed :D

I really liked that new Zealand post, little lies one too!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

If anyone has 2 hours to spare the top 100 Christmas ads of the 2010’s is up.

Loughc wrote: »
    If anyone has 2 hours to spare the top 100 Christmas ads of the 2010’s is up.

Already have it downloaded... LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

First time Ive seen that No1.

• Advertisement
Advertisement