Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Out of Season 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Happy Birthday Caranica , hope the lights on the tree brightened your day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭Caranica

Thanks kitten_k and Mam of 4! Putting the lights on definitely brightened my birthday. I will try to take it down today, success not guaranteed :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Counted 13 trees still lit from clarehall to Donaghmede tonight.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Also got the large Christmas smarties tubes in Tesco clarehall tonight for 57cent. Needed after a long ass week. The diet can wait until Monday :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,101 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Sitting down with herself to watch 'Last Christmas'

We both said we're over Christmas but kinda want to not wait a whole year to watch it.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭Caranica

DvB wrote: »
    Sitting down with herself to watch 'Last Christmas'

We both said we're over Christmas but kinda want to not wait a whole year to watch it.

I wish I'd never seen it. Was so disappointed!

Caranica wrote: »
    I wish I'd never seen it. Was so disappointed!

Ah it was okay, just. The start was really poor though, we were tempted to turn it off but said we'd give it a chance and ended up watching it all. The 'twist' was terrible, even the mrs copped it and she never sees twists coming and freely admits it.

As pretty as she is Emilia Clarke is not a great actor, even in something as vanilla as this.

Would have expected alot more from any project with George Michael associated with it, doubt if he was still alive it would have been this!

4.5/10
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Loughc wrote: »
    Counted 13 trees still lit from clarehall to Donaghmede tonight.

Down to 3 now.

Noticed the mystic/magic in the air when out for a walk is gone. Even on a full moon night :(

Roll on September.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Down to 3 now.

Noticed the mystic/magic in the air when out for a walk is gone. Even on a full moon night :(

Roll on September.

There is two or three houses still lit up here as well (Ashbourne). Do some of the Eastern Europeans celebrate a form of little Christmas around the 12th of January or something?
    Must look it up :)

There is two or three houses still lit up here as well (Ashbourne). Do some of the Eastern Europeans celebrate a form of little Christmas around the 12th of January or something?

I think you’re right!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Happy Birthday Caranica , hope the lights on the tree brightened your day :)

Belated happy returns. I'm a believer in doing whatever makes you happy so if you want to light your tree, go for it :)

One of the Polish mums at our teams Hurling tournament yesterday said they still had all their decorations still up internally, had taken down the external ones because everyone else had but said traditionally they leave them up until Jan 12th. So that makes more sense now.

It seems we were part of a trend to take them down on NYD as pretty much everyone else said they did the same & had them down before going back to work on the Thursday. & there was me thinking I'd be explaining that one over & over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I couldn't take my decorations down on New Years Day. It's actually Christmas Day Mark 3 in our house (2 being St. Stephen's Day). We have a big dinner and chill out. I find taking decorations down very stressful so I have to wait, I like leaving it until as close as possible to the 6th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

CheerLouth wrote: »
    I couldn't take my decorations down on New Years Day. It's actually Christmas Day Mark 3 in our house (2 being St. Stephen's Day). We have a big dinner and chill out. I find taking decorations down very stressful so I have to wait, I like leaving it until as close as possible to the 6th.

Speaking of which - NYD is a Friday this year! So two full days off after :)

I much prefer how the Christmas schedule falls in 2020 myself

Sure won't feel it coming around again :pac:

jr86 wrote: »

Same!! The 2020 schedule falls very sweetly this year. :)

I reckon the break will be shorter for me for Christmas 2020. The last 2 I've taken 2 full weeks off, but with our office likely to close on Weds 23rd and come back on Monday 4th I'll probably just go with that & have the little over a week off, unlss the school holidays throw a spanner into the works which they probably will. It'll mean I've more leave to take during the year though if I can.

I loved having 2 full weeks off for Christmas 2018 but for 2019 it felt a little dragged out, so having a shorter break may not be a bad thing, especially as we're planning a lower key one this time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

I reckon the break will be shorter for me for Christmas 2020. The last 2 I've taken 2 full weeks off, but with our office likely to close on Weds 23rd and come back on Monday 4th I'll probably just go with that & have the little over a week off, unlss the school holidays throw a spanner into the works which they probably will. It'll mean I've more leave to take during the year though if I can.

I loved having 2 full weeks off for Christmas 2018 but for 2019 it felt a little dragged out, so having a shorter break may not be a bad thing, especially as we're planning a lower key one this time around.

It will be interesting to see how the school holidays work this year.

I assume it'll be Wednesday 23rd December to Wednesday January 6th?

It will be interesting to see how the school holidays work this year.

I assume it'll be Wednesday 23rd December to Wednesday January 6th?

I think it could be 21st Dec to Jan 4th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Love the positivity of your post jr86!

Getting back to a post I made earlier, some European countries celebrate Christmas Day on the 7th of January so I can only assume they leave the decorations up for about a week after.

Also while doing research I learned that The Philippines celebrate Christmas the longest in the world, they start in September and go through till January so it's on for 3 months over there :p

Heatons have reduced prices on all their Christmas trees across all stores. The trees look decent too.

Also Lidl have tubs of celebrations for €3 at the moment. €3.

• Advertisement

Just back from taking Elf2 to get his arm checked. He was such a brave little guy, when we got back I said he could have an hour ipad time. He's currently sitting on the sofa watching videos on youtube of kids opening their Christmas presents :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I finished my Christmas jigsaw :D Slightly later than normal this year but I didn't start it until about New Years Eve. If anyone likes a jigsaw, this year I bought a Gibson one & the quality was not as good as the Ravensburger ones. Pieces were easily damaged I found.

CheerLouth wrote: »
    I finished my Christmas jigsaw :D Slightly later than normal this year but I didn't start it until about New Years Eve. If anyone likes a jigsaw, this year I bought a Gibson one & the quality was not as good as the Ravensburger ones. Pieces were easily damaged I found.

Go you Cl. I find finishing a jigsaw, especially if difficult, gives a great sense of satisfaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Went to the cinema last night and on the way home spotted a fully lit tree in a garden. It looked so pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I got two artificial Christmas trees from a Freecycle ad.

For nothing - previous owner had no room for them!

So I've had them both assembled, turning the living room into a dark forest for the last couple of days. Very moody, quite Narnia really.

Now I've just packed them up into the attic but thoroughly looking forward to using them both just 11 months from now!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Excellent, Day Lewin!

Already looking forward to seeing pictures of them in all their glory. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Day Lewin wrote: »
    I got two artificial Christmas trees from a Freecycle ad.

For nothing - previous owner had no room for them!

So I've had them both assembled, turning the living room into a dark forest for the last couple of days. Very moody, quite Narnia really.

Now I've just packed them up into the attic but thoroughly looking forward to using them both just 11 months from now!

Where they brand new? What condition are they in?

Went to see Jumanji today in the cinema. There was Christmas music at the start and the end of the movie. It was unexpected and well welcomed :)

Went to see Jumanji today in the cinema. There was Christmas music at the start and the end of the movie. It was unexpected and well welcomed :)

Good movie that.

• Advertisement

Good movie that.

Yeah I enjoyed it. A good way to pass the time until the main event of the Liverpool united match :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement