Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭damo80

Is the coal warehouse that much better than kosy king for the ovoids? KK seem to be cheaper delivery charge??

• Registered Users Posts: 37 DougPeterson

chasm wrote: »
    Yes, it was €175 a tonne when I ordered, and I went with Liam Connolly for delivery as my order was placed before the price increases. Happy with the Polish coal and find it is heating the rads well, even with a small fire lit.

That's great to hear chasm,do you have an open fire backburner system or a stove?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭chasm

That's great to hear chasm,do you have an open fire backburner system or a stove?

I have a stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

Are the prices from coal Warehouse def going up on the 17th? I don't see anything about it on their facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Yester wrote: »
    Are the prices from coal Warehouse def going up on the 17th? I don't see anything about it on their facebook page.

Just hold your breath there for a few minutes and I'll double check that for you.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

vectra wrote: »
    Look forward to it, Thanks

OK so finally back in Ireland to give this a go.
    So a few caveats, the CW ovoids are last years crop. Easy Glow are this years one. I assume the formulation could shift from pallet to pallet not to mind say year to year.

Compare the look, the bag, the coal.

Well much of a muchness bag wise. The CW ones were 40Kg and the EG are 20Kg so easier to handle. Apart from the weight making them easier to heft the EG bags do feel a tiny bit better quality with a tighter weave but really not much in it.
    All bags that don't make it to the bunker are kept under a tarp. The sun kills that type of material otherwise. So basically last years CW bags weren't in **** by the time I went to lift them a month ago.

In terms of setting the fire I way prefer the large ovoids from CW, you can make a ring of 6 or 7 of them about your lighters and stick a few on top. The EG ovoids are so small you have to put almost the whole base down before you can pile a lot more on top. Swings and roundabouts though, as you put so many in at the start you don't need to top up for some time with EG.

EG small ovoids burn with a flame for a half hour to an hour before settling down to a glow, whereas the CW ones just seem to glow brightly and rarely give off a flame (unless chucked in on top of a hot coal fire). CW are incredibly long burning though. I often topped up the fire at 9pm with 5 or 6 ovoids and still had plenty of red embers by 11am the next morning. Due to their size the EG ovoids are not that long burning, lasted maybe 3-4 hours tops, and at that stage were really too small to be throwing out heat.
    Both sets of ovoids pretty much disappear in terms of not leaving any cinders. Just a fine ash.

The EG ones are way less smoky than the CW ones and the glass was a LOT cleaner with EG. That said the CW ones were mixed in to a bunker with regular coal so probably have a lot of dust on them. Perhaps not a fair comparison and I'd have to get a fresh bag of each to tell for sure. The fact that the CW ones only smoke initially tells me it's just coal dust burning off.

Looks wise...don't really know what to look for.
    Heatwise, no ideas, been running on 0-3 hrs of sleep for the last 8 days and only back to normality now. Body is too far gone to be guessing which is throwing out the most heat.

emO9aq7l.jpg

AZFZOgcl.jpg

Bed of CW with EG on top, best of both worlds maybe?

Roen wrote: »
    So a few caveats, the CW ovoids are last years crop. Easy Glow are this years one. I assume the formulation could shift from pallet to pallet not to mind say year to year.

Well much of a muchness bag wise. The CW ones were 40Kg and the EG are 20Kg so easier to handle. Apart from the weight making them easier to heft the EG bags do feel a tiny bit better quality with a tighter weave but really not much in it.
    All bags that don't make it to the bunker are kept under a tarp. The sun kills that type of material otherwise. So basically last years CW bags weren't in **** by the time I went to lift them a month ago.

In terms of setting the fire I way prefer the large ovoids from CW, you can make a ring of 6 or 7 of them about your lighters and stick a few on top. The EG ovoids are so small you have to put almost the whole base down before you can pile a lot more on top. Swings and roundabouts though, as you put so many in at the start you don't need to top up for some time with EG.

EG small ovoids burn with a flame for a half hour to an hour before settling down to a glow, whereas the CW ones just seem to glow brightly and rarely give off a flame (unless chucked in on top of a hot coal fire). CW are incredibly long burning though. I often topped up the fire at 9pm with 5 or 6 ovoids and still had plenty of red embers by 11am the next morning. Due to their size the EG ovoids are not that long burning, lasted maybe 3-4 hours tops, and at that stage were really too small to be throwing out heat.
    Both sets of ovoids pretty much disappear in terms of not leaving any cinders. Just a fine ash.

The EG ones are way less smoky than the CW ones and the glass was a LOT cleaner with EG. That said the CW ones were mixed in to a bunker with regular coal so probably have a lot of dust on them. Perhaps not a fair comparison and I'd have to get a fresh bag of each to tell for sure. The fact that the CW ones only smoke initially tells me it's just coal dust burning off.

Heatwise, no ideas, been running on 0-3 hrs of sleep for the last 8 days and only back to normality now. Body is too far gone to be guessing which is throwing out the most heat.

emO9aq7l.jpg

AZFZOgcl.jpg

Thanks for sharing.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Oh and definitely less of a pong when you're outside the house downwind from the EG stuff. CW is definitely chemically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Thanks for sharing.

Yea me too..great review and points made.

Thanks for the effort

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Thanks for the review of both.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

emO9aq7l.jpg

AZFZOgcl.jpg

Excellent review thanks very informative

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I've said this several times on this thread, I have went with several different cw ovoid comparables and to me nothing is as good as the cw ovoids. I speak in terms of heat output and the longevity of the heat output, but not in an environmental point of view as in chemical and smoke output.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭jmreire

I've said this several times on this thread, I have went with several different cw ovoid comparables and to me nothing is as good as the cw ovoids. I speak in terms of heat output and the longevity of the heat output, but not in an environmental point of view as in chemical and smoke output.
    Are these single or double ( maybe even triple ) Ovoid's? My stove says NOT to use single ovoids……?? Its a Charnwood B multifuel stove. I don't understand why doubles are acceptable, but not singles? They are the same composition, I think, so only reason I can think of is the size of the grate, and the singles would slip down through it..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,568 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Which is which you never said.

One is so much bigger than the other that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭jmreire

So we take it that the smaller one is a "Single" ? But the bigger one, is that a "Double" or a "Triple" ?

I have no idea what singles or doubles or triples mean. SOmeone explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I have no idea what singles or doubles or triples mean. SOmeone explain.

Google explains all these days

https://www.dawsonsfuels.co.uk/articles/house-coal-buying-guide

The internet isn’t for everyone

CW don't do small so small guy is EG.

Yester wrote: »

Yes they're definitely going up!

Any idea what the black diamond is like this year from Coal warehouse? I heard there were some issues with it last year from CW

Since this morning,Joe Mcgovern transport are no longer doing drops to Dublin! They were the cheapest crowd,until now....any more logistics companies out there that are reasonable? Please get in touch

• Advertisement

CW don't do small so small guy is EG.

Type I got from EG were big, for an open fire.

OmegaGene wrote: »

MOst confusing if you ask me. So none of them are smokeless ?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭TTTT

MOst confusing if you ask me. So none of them are smokeless ?

http://www.coalmerchantsfederation.co.uk/products/house-coal

Type I got from EG were big, for an open fire.

CW still don't do small ovoids though.

TTTT wrote: »

So it's not smokeless coal. People here talk of doubles and trebles so on and think it's smokeless coal in different sizes when it's not smokeless coal at all.

EG does do a ovoid in a small and a large though, that I know. And CW 's ovoid is a large as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

So it's not smokeless coal. People here talk of doubles and trebles so on and think it's smokeless coal in different sizes when it's not smokeless coal at all.

EG does do a ovoid in a small and a large though, that I know. And CW 's ovoid is a large as far as I know.

Ovoids and coal are different
    You get small ovoids and large ovoids
    Do some googling or ring a fuel supplier

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AleoN

Since this morning,Joe Mcgovern transport are no longer doing drops to Dublin! They were the cheapest crowd,until now....any more logistics companies out there that are reasonable? Please get in touch

Thats a pity. Did they say why they are no longer delivering to Dublin.

I just got a delivery from them today and I must say they were a very good company to deal with. They were also €20 cheaper than Connollys.

Contacted Coal Warehouse today, explained I couldn't get through on Saturday by phone to place order and asked for Saturdays price.

Happy days, a half ton of ovoids and a half ton of polish coal both in 25kg bags for 217 euro.

Great crowd to deal with in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Contacted Coal Warehouse today, explained I couldn't get through on Saturday by phone to place order and asked for Saturdays price.

Happy days, a half ton of ovoids and a half ton of polish coal both in 25kg bags for 217 euro.

Great crowd to deal with in fairness.
    Raging I didn't think of that!!!!!

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

I use an open fire in the sitting room (no back boiler) and bought Black Diamond from CW in 2015 and ended up dissapointed with it. Very very smokey and a lot of large pieces/stones left in the grate the following morning.
    Looking through this thread it appears other posters had same/similar problems.

I should have rang to complain but sure as it wasn't local I didn't think it would get me anywhere. appears I was mistaken as other posters here have said they rang to complain and where happy with the response they got from CW. (would love to hear what that was)

So here I am tempted again to use them. One ton of the stafford silver bag polish coal bought local is €450 where I'm thinking/hoping maybe the ton of columbian coal from CW for €260 plus delivery might be as good on quality but over €100 cheaper.

Anyone use the columbian coal lately and care to give a review on it please

Advertisement