Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Newspaper Archives Death Obituary

• 06-09-2018 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi everyone. My first post and im asking for help!

I am looking for a death notice on Irish newspaper archives at the moment. I have been looking for it with about 2 weeks now and i just cant pin it down!

I am used to browsing/searching these archives but, this death notice, just doesn't want to be found

Could anyone give me a hand? Here are the details.

Hannah Crowley (nee o'donovan) ,derrigra, ballineen, died between 1995 and 2006.

Cheers guys!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

What county was it?
    Have you considered she might have died outside those dates?
    Limit the search to national newspapers and the relevant county, to cut results.

The best way is to put in as little info as possible. I don't have a sub at the moment but this is what I'd do.

In the top box, put Hannah + Crowley
    In the may also include box, put O'Donovan
    Date years from 01/01 to 31/12

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Cyrus T Buford

pinkypinky wrote: »
    What county was it?
    Have you considered she might have died outside those dates?
    Limit the search to national newspapers and the relevant county, to cut results.

The best way is to put in as little info as possible. I don't have a sub at the moment but this is what I'd do.

In the top box, put Hannah + Crowley
    In the may also include box, put O'Donovan
    Date years from 01/01 to 31/12

Its County Cork

I am pretty certain its between those years. Her sister died in 1995 and her death notice mentions Hannah as alive. She does not appear on RIP.ie which started in 2006.

Thanks, i will give it another go with your tips!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭AD61

She does not appear on RIP.ie which started in 2006.
    Worth keeping in mind that RIP.ie was not as popular back in 2006 as it is now - I wouldn't rely on that as an absolute estimate for the date limit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A vote of sympathy was offered at the Castletown Harrier club at their AGM on November 20th 2004 for the Crowley family of Ballineen on the death of their mother Hannah Crowley whose late husband Mr. Con Crowley RIP was a founder of the club over fifty years ago.

Is that the right person?
    That account is in the Southern Star, Saturday, November 27, 2004.

Not finding any other mentions yet.

**edit
    She died November 10th, 2004.
    It is in the Examiner of the next day.
    I have sent you a private message.

spurious wrote: »
    A vote of sympathy was offered at the Castletown Harrier club at their AGM on November 20th 2004 for the Crowley family of Ballineen on the death of their mother Hannah Crowley whose late husband Mr. Con Crowley RIP was a founder of the club over fifty years ago.

Is that the right person?
    That account is in the Southern Star, Saturday, November 27, 2004.

Not finding any other mentions yet.

**edit
    She died November 10th, 2004.
    It is in the Examiner of the next day.
    I have sent you a private message.

Thanks a million spurious!

I just went online and got the death record from the dates you provided!

Fantastic, thanks!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Hi,
    I'm also looking for a death notice or obituary for

McCarthy, William of Emly, Co Tipperary
    Died May 4 1977 buried in Cullen

As he was involved in the War of Independence for the Doon area, I'm hoping that there might be something about him on News Archives.

If anyone could have a look for me, pm me. Many thks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Is this it?

McCarthy, (Yank, Ballyholohan, Emly), May 4, 1977, at his residence, William, late of Gurtavala, Doon, Co. Limerick, A Co., V.I.C., O.C, 1st Batt., East Limerick Brig., Old IRA. Deeply regretted by his loving sons, daughter, sister, relatives and friends. RIP. Remains will be removed this (Thursday) evening at 8 o'c. to St. Elby's Church, Emly. Requiem Mass tomorrow (Friday) at 11.30 o'c. funeral at 12 noon to Cullen cemetery. American papers please copy.

Couldn't see an obituary.

Yep, that is him. Many thanks Wyldwood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

You've probably already got his BMH statement.

Thanks for all the replies. I look forward to receiving the obituary from srmf5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

montgo wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. I look forward to receiving the obituary from srmf5.

I had just found the same death notice as Wyldwood. I had somehow missed their reply when looking at my phone. I found an article about a house fire in 1943 if that's of any interest though.

Yes, thank you. srmf5.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

Hi all.
    Im looking for a death notice also.
    I found a notice in a newspaper of the person i am looking for.

The notice I found is the aknowledgement posted after the funeral thanking all people who attended and also the undertakers etc. in their recent bereavment.
    How long after a death would this be posted?
    As i cant find the death notice by search, i will have to browse.

I dont want to post a name on public as it was quite a rcent death.
    (January 26th 2002 was the aknowledgement)

Generally, acknowledgement notices are inserted two to four weeks after the Funeral has taken place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you want to PM a name I will help have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Hi guys,

Any help trace a newspaper death notice/obituary or even better a marriage date for the below 2 would be great.

Thomas Morrissey 1885-1980 and Margaret Keeley 1897-1976 (keely?)

For a friend.

Hi guys,

Any help trace a newspaper death notice/obituary or even better a marriage date for the below 2 would be great.

Thomas Morrissey 1885-1980 and Margaret Keeley 1897-1976 (keely?)

For a friend.

Do you have exact dates or an address? I found a death for a Thomas Morrissey in Athenry but I don't know if that's him.

There is strong links to galway. Could you PM me more info if possible

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Everyone, if you're asking for this kind of help, please give as much detail, and be as precise, as possible. Searching newspapers for deaths isn't an exact science and common surnames or long periods of time could mean a kind person is searching and reviewing results for a long time.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I think I've got it sorted

• Advertisement

All sorted. thank you very much

Advertisement