Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help needed to name a game.

• 02-07-2018 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭

Can anyone help me to name a game, this is the description I have to work off.

The hero looks like Mario (or maybe Mario himself), he fights using a cane. At the end of each stage, he will obtain a new weapon, like a stick that can emit flames, stick that can conjure a cloud, a stick with a fan at its end, ..etc
    It is 2D, maybe on NES platform

Has anyone any idea of what it might be?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anything more specific? What type of game and how it played.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Anything more specific? What type of game and how it played.

Thanks for the reply, I've asked them if they can remember anything else about it. I know I haven't got much to go on at the moment, SonSon was the only game I could think of and it wasn't that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Sounds like Duck tales, without the new weapons and the key factor "you're a duck"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Duck tales?

What I was thinking too when I read that the weapon was a cane.

But the description also reminds me of Shinobi.

Like Retr0gamer said can you remember any more details? Did it have a counter at the end of each level... an open world map? Primary colour palette? Distinguishing features of enemies? Counter for health / score?

EDIT: Also Ninja Gaiden on the NES comes to mind... but then the main character doesn't look like Mario!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cloud master?

Kendo Rage?

Musashi no Ken - Tadaima Shugyou Chuu?

Since the protagonist has a cane maybe it's one of the game based on journey to the west.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭com1

Monkey Magic?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

LHX Attack Chopper?

I've asked the person and they've come back with this, they seem adamant that the character looked like Mario.

I don’t remember much about bosses, except for one, who looked like a a bomb
    One of the weapons you obtain is a stick that you can throw it straight to the wall, it will stick & you can climb higher areas
    That stick can also slightly damage enemies and immobilize them
    One weapon is a stick with a fan-like structure that can destroy walls
    The mains character as I remember is Mario, but I searched all Mario games and didn’t see him or the game

Bubba n'stix?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Bubba n'stix?

That fits the description, I'll let you know if that's the one.

• Advertisement

No joy with Bubba 'n' Stix, I really thought that was going to be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

No joy with Bubba 'n' Stix, I really thought that was going to be it.

LHX Attack Chopper is still on the table :pac:

o1s1n wrote: »
    LHX Attack Chopper is still on the table :pac:

At this stage I'm ruling nothing out, I thought Retro had it with Bubba 'n' Stix.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,121 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The Addams Family film tie in game on the SNES maybe? Don't know why but it popped into my head from your description. No cane but he had a fencing sword at times and Gomez sort of looks like Mario.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not the Blues Brothers is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Any idea of the year, not the exact release date, but still have a max year to consider.

The mystery has been solved, but not by me. It turns out it was a hack of Saiyuuki World 2 with Mario as the main character called Super Mario Bros 13.:pac: Thanks for all the help and suggestions in trying to work out what it was.

So, not LHX then.... bugger....

Advertisement