Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PGA Championship gone from Sky

Options
  • 13-07-2017 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭

Possibly going to be showed across the internet and not on TV at all

What a shambles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

The USPGA or the Euro version?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

The less total control Sky have over the Majors the better imo. Any sources?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Newtown90

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jul/13/rory-mcilroy-scottish-open-golf-poulter-fowler?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Bizarre, call themselves the home of golf, launch a new Sky Sport Golf Channel and the PGA say no to their money for the PGA Championship. Could be the start of big changes to the PGA Tour broadcasts in Europe I wonder?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

ForeRight wrote: »

What a shambles

Why would any organisation want to do this to themselves.Surely you have to make it available on as many platforms as possible.The vast majority of people still use traditional TV so not having the event on traditional TV would be a quite stupid you would think.You would think that with Golf having a more mature audience would be the last sport to do something as stupid as taking it off TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

ForeRight wrote: »

What a shambles

Why would any organisation want to do this to themselves.Surely you have to make it available on as many platforms as possible.The vast majority of people still use traditional TV so not having the event on traditional TV would be a quite stupid you would think.You would think that with Golf having a more mature audience would be the last sport to do something as stupid as taking it off TV.

They're saying they want to attract more people to the game so why not have it on the BBC or other terrestrial channels?

The Masters would never have been as popular in Europe had it not been on terrestrial tv. Look at what has happened to the FA Cup since Sky and others started showing it.

• Advertisement

Also boxing is another example. It was a hugely popular sport but now who gives a f**k.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

So where do we watch it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Not the biggest fan of Sky as an entity but I'm more than happy for them to have a monopoly on golf. The terrestrial channels don't want it( certainly in UK and Ireland). So the alternative would be to have some rubbish outfit like setanta/b t sport/ei r sports take a piece and charge for it?

From the Guardian article and the PGA of America guy's mention of "platforms", it will surely be available online. I just hope it's not some sort of facebook partnership.

Definitely embarrassing for Sky though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Also boxing is another example. It was a hugely popular sport but now who gives a f**k.

Boxing is extremely popular now, arguably more so than in the last 20 years.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »

Boxing is extremely popular now, arguably more so than in the last 20 years.

I don't think so. It's a popular niche sport but it's no longer mainstream.

• Advertisement

They're saying they want to attract more people to the game so why not have it on the BBC or other terrestrial channels?

The Masters would never have been as popular in Europe had it not been on terrestrial tv. Look at what has happened to the FA Cup since Sky and others started showing it.

By the tone of the article and one I've seen in the independent today it doesn't sound like that, it sounds like some sort of partnership with netflix or one of those types of companies and you pay for access.Hope that's not the case as I think limiting anything to an on-line only platform is even worse than having it on a subscription TV channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

I hope its not offered on a pay streaming service, unless you have great broadband you are going to have problems with freezing and even if you have good broadband it can drop from time to time. Maybe one of the red button options on the likes BBC might work.

The less total control Sky have over the Majors the better imo. Any sources?

Only if the alternative is Free to Air TV.Not really good if a sport gets split between rival pay tv companies as that just screws the fans as they're forced to pay 2 subscriptions to view what they want.

Only if the alternative is Free to Air TV.Not really good if a sport gets split between rival pay tv companies as that just screws the fans as they're forced to pay 2 subscriptions to view what they want.

Yeah viewership will drop if two operators have it. say sky with the European tour and some other company with the PGA tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

As the PGA of America are involved in the Ryder Cup of which Sky have been our broadcaster here would there be a trickle down effect on that perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

That's exactly what happened with the Heineken Cup that was. Split between Sky and BT and viewership has dropped like a stone.

Possibly may never recover from that.

Have these companies not learned anything from the explosion of illegal streaming devices. People aren't willing to pay too much money for sport anymore. They need to be making it more affordable to bring people back to legitimate set ups. Not many people are going to pay for a couple of platforms to view all the golf. I hope the PGA make a wise decision on who gets the rights.

red ears wrote: »
    Have these companies not learned anything from the explosion of illegal streaming devices. People aren't willing to pay too much money for sport anymore. They need to be making it more affordable to bring people back to legitimate set ups. Not many people are going to pay for a couple of platforms to view all the golf. I hope the PGA make a wise decision on who gets the rights.

Watching golf on a normal laptop screen is not appealing. It really requires a big screen. I realise that you can watch online content on a tv if you have the right sort of tv but I still think that is limiting the audience further. Do they really know their target audience?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Any one think they are just holding out for more money off Sky???
    Very late to announce this, you'd imagine all these contracts are sorted months before an event

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I can see why they think a big change is required, since Tigers demise viewership and attendance at events have dropped off.
    The future is online content, I would be happy to pay for that content, but I won't pay for sky sports as I watch very little sport other than golf.
    Maybe they will look for terrestial contracts and take the revenue loss? It goes against everything they have did in the past, but maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

On the new way of consuming golf, one thing I love is the PGA Tours extended highlights.

It is basically a 10 minute official youtube video of a players round with no commentary that shows 99% of their shots.
    They usually focus on the big names for the first two rounds then provide highlights for the leaders on the weekend.
    I find it much more appealing than sitting through 5 hours of coverage (analysis, adverts, some golf).

e.g.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFpzUoB2A4A

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Righthammer

Looks like twitter may be the new media they are talking about...

https://www.ft.com/content/05e69a2c-6a13-11e7-bfeb-33fe0c5b7eaa?mhq5j=e3

if it's exclusively on twitter only then that's really a stupid move particularly considering the age profile of golf fans.Considering it is definitely the 4th of the 4th majors how exactly does it help the tournament by making it even harder to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

CBS have US rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

With the likes of Facebook, YouTube, Twitter etc on the scene there is a new platform that can get them back to the viewing figures of yesteryear but with increased TV money.

The reason why the likes of BBC, ITV et al cannot show free to air sport is because their regional market isn't big enough to compete with PPV. The U.S have all major sports on Free to Air because they have a big enough market. Selling the rights on a global scale that is Free to Air, gives the likes of the PGA huge viewership and the online companies can pay the big bucks because they can sell ads at an astronomical fee.

You see the prices of Superbowl ads (5 million for 30seconds) because they have 100million watching. Open up the market to global viewing figures and that 5 million will be an obscene price.

PPV and Subscription TV is done. It has no long term future in a global market.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

With the likes of Facebook, YouTube, Twitter etc on the scene there is a new platform that can get them back to the viewing figures of yesteryear but with increased TV money.

The reason why the likes of BBC, ITV et al cannot show free to air sport is because their regional market isn't big enough to compete with PPV. The U.S have all major sports on Free to Air because they have a big enough market. Selling the rights on a global scale that is Free to Air, gives the likes of the PGA huge viewership and the online companies can pay the big bucks because they can sell ads at an astronomical fee.

You see the prices of Superbowl ads (5 million for 30seconds) because they have 100million watching. Open up the market to global viewing figures and that 5 million will be an obscene price.

I take it you are one of these millenial dudes we are hearing about these days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭loadwire

I had a feeling that might be it. I noticed they had a wimbledon stream while it was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

For PPV, Have a look at recent UFC/Boxing numbers on that and come back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

BBC have gotten it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

KevIRL wrote: »
    BBC have gotten it

Wow..That's something.

Advertisement