Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Useful Running Books?

• 30-05-2010 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

I'm trying to get my act together to start running. Can anyone recommend any books on running that you found useful, from either a technique and training point of view or motivational? Thanks in advance....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

palester wrote: »
    I'm trying to get my act together to start running. Can anyone recommend any books on running that you found useful, from either a technique and training point of view or motivational? Thanks in advance....

Started a thread on this a while back hope it helps:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055849009

in terms of motivation here are some of the ones i have found great:

Running with the Buffaloes
    The Perfect Mile
    Sub 4 (Alan Webb Story)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

'The Runner's Handbook' by Bob Glover has been a top seller for years now. Very good for beginners. He also has 'The Competive Runners Handbook' for more advanced stuff.
    'The Lore Of Running' by Tim Noakes, MD, is often refered to as the 'bible' of running.
    Another book I loved was 'Feet in the Clouds', not so much a 'manual' but a great read.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

For motivation "Born to Run"
    http://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Hidden-Superathletes-Greatest/dp/0307266303

One of the best books i've ever read, it will have you running barefoot in the hills in no time. You can pick it up in Waterstones for a tenner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭aero2k

+1^.
    Had this with me in Edinburgh but didn't read it until I got back - reckon it would have been good for a 10 min improvement!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

For an interesting read, Paula Ratcliff is a good book.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

guapos wrote: »

+1 - loved this one too. Another one I love though not strictly just a running book but an all round fitness book with plenty of running thrown in is Survival of the Fittest by Mike Stroud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 skater1

"What I talk about when I talk about running" by Haruki Murakami is a nice read (despite the crazy title!). More a memoir of a runner than any sort of guide book.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭annieee

Chirunning by Danny Dreyer is a good read.

Good tips on technique and form, as well as race day advice and nutrition.

I found it interesting.

Check the library - thats where I got it. ;);)

Advertisement