Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee helps speed up recovery from DOMS?

• 30-03-2008 1:16am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm crippled with DOMS today following on from Thursday's over exhuberance at the gym - first time in a proper gym for a month so I did Bench, Squat and Deads on the same day.

Anyway, having a read of this I was suprised to read the last bullet, see below.

DOMS can be prevented by:
    • Performing a thorough warm up and cool down
    • Stretching after exercise
    • When starting a new weight lifting routine start with lightweights and high reps (10-12) and gradually increase the amount you lift over several weeks
    • Avoid making sudden major changes in the type and amount of exercise you do
    • A recent study found that caffeine (equal to 2 cups of brewed coffee) could produce a large reduction in pain resulting from DOMS

Thoughts? I had a Starbucks earlier but still hobbiling around in agony.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

BossArky wrote: »
    I'm crippled with DOMS today following on from Thursday's over exhuberance at the gym - first time in a proper gym for a month so I did Bench, Squat and Deads on the same day.

Anyway, having a read of this I was suprised to read the last bullet, see below.

DOMS can be prevented by:
    • Performing a thorough warm up and cool down
    • Stretching after exercise
    • When starting a new weight lifting routine start with lightweights and high reps (10-12) and gradually increase the amount you lift over several weeks
    • Avoid making sudden major changes in the type and amount of exercise you do
    • A recent study found that caffeine (equal to 2 cups of brewed coffee) could produce a large reduction in pain resulting from DOMS

It's funny - four words spring to mind....

Pinch. Salt. Take. With.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

lots of vit c, CQ10 and sauna is the usual preventive measure that works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

How about getting a shake of Nutrition X RAM into after your session. Ive found it brilliant for recovery and doms

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭figs86

just google scholar it, there's bags of work on the properties of caffeine for pain relief

it works in 2 ways:
    caffeine dulls the nociceptors (pain sensing nerves) in the body
    and it acts as a stimulant, increasing bloodflow and heartrate so you've more oxygen delivered to the brain etc, meaning that you don't feel the pain of things like headaches that are due to poor oxygen flow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

It's true ye. It's often sold mixed with paracetamol because the two work together very well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I think you're supposed to take it during/before exercising though - could be wrong, but I know for instance endurance athletes are fond of it whilst performing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Some times after squats I won't feel DOMs until 2 days after, and some other exercises too. I will have to keep an eye on this, thing is I only drink coffee in work, and lots of it. And I never drink it at home at the weekends. I cannot think back but maybe I have exercised on a thursday night, and the DOMs only hit on saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Doesn't seem to give much information there, like when you are ment to take for those results. Only a guess but maybe it has something to do with the raise in metabolism that coffee gives you.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭celt2005

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭jph100

I had a Starbucks earlier but still hobbiling around in agony.

ha starbucks cud start an advertising campaign targeting gym goers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

siochain wrote: »
    lots of vit c, CQ10 and sauna is the usual preventive measure that works for me.

I agree, but not with the sauna bit, I find it lengthens the doms, I think due to loss of salt and other mminerals, but not sure. I also supplement with 'muscle armour' from eas (I think). Tastes like a builders armpit but really quick recovery times for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Saabdub

• A recent study found that caffeine (equal to 2 cups of brewed coffee) could produce a large reduction in pain resulting from DOMS quote]
    Some over the counter analgesics also include 20-30mg of caffeine because it is found to aid the pain relief:).

Saabdub

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

One of my friends was telling me that he heard caffine was good for pain relief and relief from DOMS

I laughed at him and asked him who was pulling his leg.

Turns out there is some truth to it, I'll never hear the end of it.

I love plain black coffee but never drink it, might have a cup this evening and see if I notice it

EDIT: I wonder if someone posted a thread saying "Red cabbage gives you extra strength" how many of us would eat some red cabbage before a work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Saabdub

I've also read that caffeine taken an hour before exericise lessens the feeling of exertion and allows you to work out more strenuously:D.

Saabdub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Seems like it's a right miracle product: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2211652.stm

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Thanks for the info folks. So, as I type this I sip my coffee :pac:

A few years ago when I used to do lots of long distance racing (non competitive, just with friends) I read somewhere that a cup of black coffee helped fire up the body for extra exertion. Tried it a few times. It may have worked, cannot remember really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

Appearantly, it helps endurance work by limiting the amount of glycogen the body uses up, therefor promoting the more efficeint fuel, fat. Doesn't really help power workouts though. Or so they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Vegeta wrote: »
    EDIT: I wonder if someone posted a thread saying "Red cabbage gives you extra strength" how many of us would eat some red cabbage before a work out.

You wouldn't get a chance, if that rumour started then the IMB would have it stripped from the shelves quicker than a young lad sprinting on creatine ;)

Advertisement