Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "What is this Irish word/phrase in English" thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Hooch1982

I think it has something to do with this group: Catholic Truth Society

See also the sources for this text: http://www.logainm.ie/eolas/Data/IHTA/tuam.pdf

Ya i could not find alot on the Catholic truth society but i sent a mail to the museum in Tuam to see what they can tell me, i will let you know when they get back to me if you have any interest? Strange thing to find in your back garden !

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Hooch1982 wrote: »
    Ya i could not find alot on the Catholic truth society but i sent a mail to the museum in Tuam to see what they can tell me, i will let you know when they get back to me if you have any interest? Strange thing to find in your back garden !

I don't have a particular interest in the Society. I just enjoy spur-of-the-moment research! :D I'd be happy to find out more though, so post here or PM me if you get a reply from the museum. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Worztron

What is the exat meaning of this "Nollaig shona daoibhse agus athbhlain faoi hmaise daoibhse. Adh mór faoi 2012."?

Thanks in advance.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Worztron wrote: »
    What is the exat meaning of this "Nollaig shona daoibhse agus athbhlain faoi hmaise daoibhse. Adh mór faoi 2012."?

Thanks in advance.

Happy Christmas to you (plural) and happy new year to you. Best of luck in 2012.
    The -se after "daoibh" is unnecessary and should only be used for emphasis.

Happy Christmas to you (plural) and happy new year to you. Best of luck in 2012.
    The -se after "daoibh" is unnecessary and should only be used for emphasis.

So it is saying Happy Christmas to more than 1 person?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

Yep - the 'daoibh' is 'you plural'. If it was only addressed to one person it would be 'duit' (or in this case, with the emphasis, 'duitse').

"...dom pionta" is often heard when looking for a drink and while it sounds demanding it's not taken to be so.

"Dom pionta", by itself? Or "tabhair dom pionta"? Or...?

As a non-native (but interested) speaker this is something I'm always very self-conscious about when ordering in pubs/shops/cafes, etc., in that I'm not sure what the 'natural' way to say it would be. What I mean is that, in English, it sounds natural to say "Can I have a pint?", "Can I get soup and a sandwich?", and so on, but in Irish it doesn't sound natural to me to say "An féidir liom pionta a fháil?", "Ar mhiste leat...", or anything along those lines. Can anyone wiser than me give another perspective?

Focalbhach wrote: »
    "Dom pionta", by itself? Or "tabhair dom pionta"? Or...?

As a non-native (but interested) speaker this is something I'm always very self-conscious about when ordering in pubs/shops/cafes, etc., in that I'm not sure what the 'natural' way to say it would be. What I mean is that, in English, it sounds natural to say "Can I have a pint?", "Can I get soup and a sandwich?", and so on, but in Irish it doesn't sound natural to me to say "An féidir liom pionta a fháil?", "Ar mhiste leat...", or anything along those lines. Can anyone wiser than me give another perspective?

The "tabhair" is understood but not said.
    By far the most common way is " pionta x le do thoil"
    You will hear beginners say " an bhfuil cead agam pionnta leanna a fháil ".
    I suppose we all have to start somewhere.

You will hear beginners say " an bhfuil cead agam pionnta leanna a fháil ".
    I suppose we all have to start somewhere.

I wouldn't say "An bhfuil cead agam..." (:))... but am I right in thinking that the equivalent of "Can I get x, please" (in English) is usually more like "Give me x" (in Irish), and that that's not rude?

I wouldn't say "An bhfuil cead agam..." (:))... but am I right in thinking that the equivalent of "Can I get x, please" (in English) is usually more like "Give me x" (in Irish), and that that's not rude?

It's in the Gaeltacht, particularly Donegal that you'll hear "...domh pionta".
    The bartender's name could be added if you know it.
    However, in both Gaeltacht and Galltacht "pionta le do thoil" is used and understood and natural.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

How do you say "just"? Like "I'm just going up the road", or "just give me a small bit of X".

newmug wrote: »
    How do you say "just"? Like "I'm just going up the road", or "just give me a small bit of X".

Díreach/go díreach.
    Even though your dictionary will say this means "straight", which it does, in the context you mention, "Tá mé (go) díreach ag dul suas an bóthar"...." tabhair dom díreach giota beag de x"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

The idiom "I'm just after x" in Hiberno-English is direct translation from Irish "Tá mé díreach taréis ..."

One could call it "reverse Béarlachas" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

dubhthach wrote: »
    The idiom "I'm just after x" in Hiberno-English is direct translation from Irish "Tá mé díreach taréis ..."

One could call it "reverse Béarlachas" ;)

There is an English word for it: Hibernicism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

In my copy of the Collins Easy Learning Irish Dictionary there's this -
    I did it just now - anois féin a rinne mé é
    he's just arrived - tà sé direach tagtha (with a fada on the 'i')
    I'm just coming! - Beidh mé leat anois!
    and I think you could also use ach with a negative and a vn
    or to say just so much is enough - is leor

What does the phrase here mean (in upper left logo): http://www.indymedia.ie/article/100751

Saormheáin Éireann

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Free media of Ireland.

What is the Irish for "No overtaking/No passing"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

What is the Irish for "No overtaking/No passing"?

Ná Scoitear

Does Ni neart go cur le chéile mean There's no strength without unity?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Does Ni neart go cur le chéile mean There's no strength without unity?

yep

Sin é

What would be the best way to say "Don't be rude" (and then later, while giving out about them, "He was very rude"...)?

What would be the best way to say "Don't be rude" (and then later, while giving out about them, "He was very rude"...)?

Ná bí drochbhéasach

Bhí sé an-drochbhéasach

mímhúinte aswell means rude/unpolite

I see there's also - gan mhuineadh (with a fada on the 'u') which means bad-mannered (literally - without manners) in Pota Focal.

Is Ruairí the Irish for both Roger and Rory?

I don't think so - Ruairi/Rory is typically Gaelic (I'm guessing that it's something to do with red) whereas Roger is French - and probably Norman French.
    Originally Roger comes from Hrodgari (Germanic) Hrod meaning glory or honour and gari which means a spear.

The surname Rogers/Rodgers would be Mac Ruairí/Ruaidhrí
    McCrory would be also

This must be wrong so. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Casement

Roger Casement - Ruairí Mac Easmainn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

This must be wrong so. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Casement

Roger Casement - Ruairí Mac Easmainn.
    It's neither right nor wrong.

Rory is an anglicisation of Ruairí, so the two names are effectively the same, and valid "translations" of one another. Similarly (so far as I know, anyway) Pól is a gaelicisation of Paul, so the words serve as translations of one another.

There is another phenomenon: the matching of Gaelic names with English ones, often on the basis of some similarity. That's fairly arbitrary. Taking Ruairí as the Irish for Roger is one such arbitrary match. Another arbitrary match that I think odd is setting Abigail as the translation for Gobnait. But who is the gainsay anybody saying "My name in English is Jeremiah; In Irish, I wish to be known as Diarmaid"? There is no right or wrong involved.

It might become interesting as our "new Irish" with given names from Eastern Europe or from Africa proceed through the school system, and some of them become enthused by the Irish language. What if little Jumoke decides that she wants to be known in Irish as Gráinne?

Advertisement