Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I hope this is the right place to post...

My wife and I are taking the father in law to New York for his birthday. Unbeknownst to him we are actually also taking him to Vegas.

As far as he knows it's just Dublin to NYC and NYC back to Dublin. But in actual fact we'll be boarding in NYC and going to Vegas for 4 nights and then back to Dublin.

My question is, how long can I keep the secret? My hope is that he won't cop on until we're sat at the gate waiting to board. I'll be managing the check in and handling the tickets and boarding passes, so I'm thinking that it will be fine to just print the boarding passes and give him the one he needs at any given time. He's not bit on long haul travel so it won't be hard to keep him relying on me to keep him right.

My worry is US pre-clearance in Dublin. Will he himself be asked at that point what his dates of travel etc are or will I just be able to fill out a form each and hand them over as a group?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You know he needs an esta visa too which will require details of where he will be staying?

He will have to speak to the officers at pre clearance you can't so it for him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

He'll have a customs form where has to enter his expected address in the United States. Most likely the immigration officer will ask him where he is going or what his final destination is. He should have all boarding passes with him just in case.

The only thing I'm not sure about is doing it as a group, particularly if your father-is-law is very old, I'm not sure how it works. But I would say he could ask your father-in-law questions or even if he does ask you where your final destination is and you say Las Vegas, your father-in-law might act shocked if he didn't know in advance, which may look strange to the immigration officer.

I once mixed up my right and left hand when they were asking for fingerprint and they took me away for separate questions because they thought I was nervous, so dealing with US immigration can be intimidating at the best of times, never mind when you are trying to hide something from someone in the group.

So you have to tell him before going to pre-clearance.

As far as I remember when doing the ESTA they also ask for expected address and flight details (although I guess you could do the ESTA part for him so your father-in-law might not know about that part, but of course what he says to pre-clearance should match what is on the ESTA so he has to know by then).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Is this all one ticket? Dub to Vegas (one stop in NYC)? You will clear immigration once you land in NY I think. I would tell him before you land stateside.

Stheno wrote: »
    You know he needs an esta visa too which will require details of where he will be staying?

Already done the ESTA, it asks for an address while staying in the US and I have put in the NYC details there. It only gives the option for 1 address.

He's not that elderly and certainly not dependent enough for me to have to speak for him. Looks like I'm going to have to spill the beans earlier than expected.

• Advertisement

Ruu wrote: »
    Is this all one ticket? Dub to Vegas (one stop in NYC)? You will clear immigration once you land in NY I think. I would tell him before you land stateside.

Dublin to NYC, stay 8 days. NYC to Vegas for 4 days. Then Vegas to Dublin with NYC connection.

He'll have a customs form where has to enter his expected address in the United States. Most likely the immigration officer will ask him where he is going or what his final destination is. He should have all boarding passes with him just in case.

From my experience I thought that the form asks much the same as the ESTA, i.e. what will your address be in the US, and it only gives one option. I've done a few trips before where we had 2 US destinations on the same trip, Vegas and Miami for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ruu wrote: »

Negative, you preclear in Ireland. You can't have half a flight precleared, and the other half not cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I'd say you'll have to tell him. He'll have to be present for checkin and there is bound to be mention of "The bags are checked through to Vegas....."

As mentioned already he'll be asked the address he's staying at by border officials at preclearance, possibly multiple times. Everybody must go through this whether individually or as one travelling party, so it'll be hard to keep is a secret really

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Dublin to NYC, stay 8 days. NYC to Vegas for 4 days. Then Vegas to Dublin with NYC connection.

If you are stopping in New York for 8 days there'll be no questions about the on travel to Vegas as the officials won't know about this!
    I'd be thinking that you should be fine not telling him until he's in the airport on the way to Vegas!
    Others may be able to clarify further though...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

lfc200 wrote: »
    If you are stopping in New York for 8 days there'll be no questions about the on travel to Vegas as the officials won't know about this!
    Eh I'd not be so sure about that tbh, last time I flew through the US i was just transiting to Canada, got all sorts of questions as to where I was going, how long, when was I flying back etc.

Eh I'd not be so sure about that tbh, last time I flew through the US i was just transiting to Canada, got all sorts of questions as to where I was going, how long, when was I flying back etc.

When you say transiting to Canada was it on the one ticket and bags checked through to final destination?

lfc200 wrote: »
    When you say transiting to Canada was it on the one ticket and bags checked through to final destination?

Yes.
    In OPs case they are going for 12 days so they may well be asked what they are doing after 8 days in NY

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Contact the US Embassy directly (in writing).

You are already getting a number of different answers, none of which are officially verifiable in advance of your party travelling.

Yes.
    In OPs case they are going for 12 days so they may well be asked what they are doing after 8 days in NY

Very true, I suppose it depends on who you meet on the day in immigration whether they ask exact details etc...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

You must be upfront with the CBP officials. Any hint of deception will have you in for questioning.

Tell your father in law once you are airside....maybe have a Vegas themed gift to give him one you are settled in a cafe/bar airside and before you go down to CBP.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Pat Dunne wrote: »

You are already getting a number of different answers, none of which are officially verifiable in advance of your party travelling.

Good luck getting anything other than a textbook reply a couple of weeks later

Good luck getting anything other than a textbook reply a couple of weeks later

When the O.P receives the official text book answer from the US Embassy, so be it.

At least then he knows exactly to do in and what to expect in advance. Rather than saying at time of travel, "a fella on the internet, told me it would be grand", to a US Immigration Official.

Good luck explaining that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

If he loves surprises he will enjoy if not he might be annoyed. In these times of extra security a surprise as an explanation may not go down well if pre clearance see from his advanced flight declaration that his declared travel plans don't match his actual booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

And what would you put in this letter? That you want to deceive the immigration officers?

• Advertisement

And what would you put in this letter? That you want to deceive the immigration officers?
    See my answer above
    When the O.P receives the official text book answer from the US Embassy, so be it.

At least then he knows exactly to do in and what to expect in advance. Rather than saying at time of travel, "a fella on the internet, told me it would be grand", to a US Immigration Official.

Good luck explaining that one!

Dissapointing to see the A&A forum in breach of its own Charter, so early in the year.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055763888
    First of all please note...If you'd like to ask about travelling, airline baggage info, times, schedules, destinations etc please ask at the Travel and Holidays Forum

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭dm09

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Negative, you preclear in Ireland. You can't have half a flight precleared, and the other half not cleared.

In what scenario would such a situation arise?

Op - just my own experience - I travel to the US about 4 times a year for business/pleasure. The 'address in US' you put on the esta application only needs to be the hotel address were you will stay for the first night, it is not followed up rigoursly - a lot of the time I have used a generic address and booked a motel/hotel upon arrival. The questions at US Immigration are very rarely (almost never) scrutinous unless you appear suspicious - ie you have a one way ticket or have a history of frequent "90 day holidays" most of the time it's very straight forward unless you fit a "profile" ..so for example your father in law will have a boarding card for New York so you tell them you are going to New York - you are not required to detail your day by day itinerary so it should be easy to keep Vegas a surprise and as this is an internal flight in US, you will not face immigration again.
    Have a fantastic trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

DrPhilG wrote:

In this case your final destination is NYC as that's where you're entering the US, you're not transiting through NYC (transiting means not leaving the airport). Highly unlikely they'll give you a boarding card in Dublin for a flight in 9 days time.
    Questions are likely to be rudimentary business/pleasure, duration of stay.
    But they may ask if he had any plans to visit other places...then it could be tricky. Particularly as they'll be able to see the Vegas bit of the itinerary.
    So might be best tell him beforehand or take the chance that you'll have to go back and explain. Or if you're in the same queue you could explain it to the official yourself before your dad goes up to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

See my answer above

Dissapointing to see the A&A forum in breach of its own Charter, so early in the year.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055763888

Can you not just report this instead of posting posts like this?

The mods can then move it to the general travel thread.

There is no need to post like this on a thread - just report it and let the mods sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

dm09 wrote: »
    In what scenario would such a situation arise?

Op - just my own experience - I travel to the US about 4 times a year for business/pleasure. The 'address in US' you put on the esta application only needs to be the hotel address were you will stay for the first night, it is not followed up rigoursly - a lot of the time I have used a generic address and booked a motel/hotel upon arrival. The questions at US Immigration are very rarely (almost never) scrutinous unless you appear suspicious - ie you have a one way ticket or have a history of frequent "90 day holidays" most of the time it's very straight forward unless you fit a "profile" ..so for example your father in law will have a boarding card for New York so you tell them you are going to New York - you are not required to detail your day by day itinerary so it should be easy to keep Vegas a surprise and as this is an internal flight in US, you will not face immigration again.
    Have a fantastic trip!

This. Put down the NYC address that you will be staying at. Unless it's a connecting flight Dublin-NYC-Vegas where the bags will be going straight to Vegas, and it may arouse suspicion if your tell the officer that you are going to a different destination to your bags, then I don't see a situation where you will have to tell the officer. You will be asked your destination, which is NYC, and once in the country you are free to travel as you desire.

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    This. Put down the NYC address that you will be staying at. Unless it's a connecting flight Dublin-NYC-Vegas where the bags will be going straight to Vegas, and it may arouse suspicion if your tell the officer that you are going to a different destination to your bags, then I don't see a situation where you will have to tell the officer. You will be asked your destination, which is NYC, and once in the country you are free to travel as you desire.

So won't he (or we) be asked the length of our stay? The idea is that he would be heading out thinking that he's only going for 8 days. But in fact he's going for 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

DrPhilG wrote:
    So won't he (or we) be asked the length of our stay? The idea is that he would be heading out thinking that he's only going for 8 days. But in fact he's going for 12.

He may or may not...that's up to the person on duty.

As I have previously explained to you via PM, the mods are very aware of the spillover from Travel into A&A, we are wiling to allow this as it is inevitable when people look for help about travel and see "Aviation" in our title.
    As long as it doesn't become regular we can tolerate a little. Rules are not always black and white.
    Some other forums/websites have hardline mods who ruin the casual discussion forum atmosphere.
    Hence, we have a travel question thread which I have now merged the CBP thread into. (was using my phone yesterday so couldnt do so)

DrPhilG wrote: »

This is the nub. Dont take a chance on him being asked the length of his stay.

It could all work out wonderfully with no tricky questions...but why take a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

If traveling as family you can be processed as a 'family' unit by a single officer with one family member as the lead traveler and only a single declaration form. This will make life a lot less stressful

1. If first night is in NYC, then thats what goes on the form

2. When asked for the return details (which they already have on the screen :D) you state your port of departure again NYC, that's what will appear on the I94 record if you check later. 'Returning from NY in just over a week'

3. Do not offer up information, the officer doesn't want your life story, answer all questions directly and honestly when asked.

I've never had any issues with CBP in Dublin, even when flying on two single tickets and coming back via different places then when I started, never even been asked

Advertisement