Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is good to eat after gym?

• 01-07-2009 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

I always find i am ravenously snacky after being in the gym which is ok in the middle of the day cause i can have my lunch or dinner after but what about at NIGHT? I try not to go too late (usually around 8pm) so that i am not home and hungry before bed....
    Should i have protein or what? am confused.... i know i shouldnt eat so late but i really want "something" just after the gym.... what are the rules with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 pappukanghi

It depends upon the work-out you do in gym. But generally speaking you must eat enough so that
    1) You body does not starve during night (yes it is a long 8-9 hour break before you have breakfast) and start using muscle as source of energy.
    2) Based on your work-out you have enough nutrients (protiens, carbs, fats etc) to have a proper repair of the damage done by the work-out.

PK

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

It depends on what and how you are training and what your goals are really, could you clarify? You don't want to starve your body anyway.

At the minute I'm taking 3 small shakes a day on top of my meals. I put 1 scoop into my 'Big Breakfast Bonanza' shake (where I include oats, wheatgerm, fruit and fruitjuice) in the morning, 1-2 scoops with water into my post-workout shake, and then 1 scoop with milk an hour or so before I go to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pacman.podge

drink mi wadi (not the one which says no added suger... the other one) and put some salt into the mi wadi and water mix! this brings up ur salt levels which ya loose through sweetin!! also something sugary is good like a mars bar!! gives u energy and sugar after it has been lost!

P.S. protein drinks are expensive piss and eating healthy foods with protein is 10 times better!!!!!! most of us get enough protein in our diat anyways!!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

i am just in process of losing weight and getting fit... i am beginning to do some resistance training, i would def not be into shakes etc... just regular food....

drink mi wadi (not the one which says no added suger... the other one) and put some salt into the mi wadi and water mix! this brings up ur salt levels which ya loose through sweetin!! also something sugary is good like a mars bar!! gives u energy and sugar after it has been lost!

P.S. protein drinks are expensive piss and eating healthy foods with protein is 10 times better!!!!!! most of us get enough protein in our diat anyways!!

thanks, i dont think i could get away with eating mars bars or would be able to stop at one cos chocolate is a SERIOUS weakness of mine....
    i recently bought and drank a chocolate flavoured protein drink.... it was VILE....
    so is a yogurt ok? or a bit of cheese? or slice of wholemeal toast or an egg or something good? am i better to stick with nuts or fruit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Mars bar = healthy food??

Why exactly are protein drinks expensive piss

• Registered Users Posts: 11 pappukanghi

Even though diet is major part for losing weight and becoming fit, so is proper planning and tracking.

What targets do you have? 'I want to lose weight' is not enough. How much do you want lose? What is your target time to lose that weight? Have small attainable targets for every month and stick to them, tweaking your work-outs according to the results.

Do you track whatever you eat? To get fit you need proper intake. Too much of calories will not let you lose weight even though they might be coming from 'healthy' foods.

Do you keep track of your progress in exercise? Keep a log of what weights you did, what speed/time you ran and so on.

If there is no discipline, healthy foods alone will not help you.

Protein shakes are no silver bullet and are not to be taken as main source of nutrients. No body is telling you to do so. They are supplements (repeat - supplements). If you feel your diet is good, leave the shakes out of your menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭bladespin

Would definately advise trying a protein shake, never really considered it myslef either until recently.
    Mix it with milk (low fat if needed) and it tastes much better, cheap ones can be really nasty with water, some of the better quality shakes taste nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

basically you need a moderately sized balanced meal (meat, 2 veg and potato would be fine!) that wont let you hungry but at the same time wont cancel out the gym work!!

The average gym goer doesnt need to take on simple sugars like sports drinks + mars bars after a gym session and if your trying to loose weight I definately wouldnt ... if you do fancy a choc bar or any other junk though, the hour after an intense workout is a good time to indulge :D

Mars bar = healthy food??

Why exactly are protein drinks expensive piss

its not thats its healthy. its just bad to work ou and not replace the lost sugars hence you often feel weak after training etc.... by a mars bar i mean in general terms.. even a biscuit like!!

protein shakes are ok if you are doing some serious max strength weights!! but if its for weight loss/fitness dont bother!! and alot of protein shakes are made in factories where steriods are made!

and yes yogurt is good after training!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

pacman.podge you are so misinformed, try posting accurate information and enough of this senseless crap. Proteins made in factories producing steriods? do you even know why steroids are produced?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

nd alot of protein shakes are made in factories where steriods are made!

No.
    That is silly.

yes i have goals, i didnt even think of bringing them into my post cos i just wanna know what suitable food groups i can snack on post an evening work out.... so im not eating too much or the wrong thing quite late in the day....
    yogurts are ok. thats a good start.
    i DONT want to get into the protein shake thing. I read a lot of posts from a lot of ppl who take them but from what i see those posters are in a different place to me -diet and fitness wise....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

its not thats its healthy. its just bad to work ou and not replace the lost sugars hence you often feel weak after training etc.... by a mars bar i mean in general terms.. even a biscuit like!!

protein shakes are ok if you are doing some serious max strength weights!! but if its for weight loss/fitness dont bother!! and alot of protein shakes are made in factories where steriods are made!

and yes yogurt is good after training!!

jesus thanks, i had no idea!! my friend was taking this pink stuff i think its called maxi-muscle...is that a steeroid? wil i tell him to stop? he wanted me to try some of it, but i didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Eh would good carbs not be best for replacing lost sugars? As for a mars bar, hardly not a good choice... Drinking miwadi with salts I have never heard this one?
    Guy's I think a lot of you are misinformed regarding supplements and protein shakes!

jesus thanks, i had no idea!! my friend was taking this pink stuff i think its called maxi-muscle...is that a steeroid? wil i tell him to stop? he wanted me to try some of it, but i didn't.
    just say no, and tell a teacher or parent!

pacman.podge you are so misinformed, try posting accurate information and enough of this senseless crap. Proteins made in factories producing steriods? do you even know why steroids are produced?

i am deadly serious!! some of the cheaper ones are!! if your gonna take protein shakes take organic ones! avonmore have ones!!
    this problem has been around for years and itys why serious sports men and women dont take them!! only organic ones! AND YES I KNO ITS HARD TO BELIEVE but its true

no its not a streoid!! its produced in the same enviroment as them!! some protein shakes are proven to have particles of steriods in them! thats all

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Stop being a twat.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

All smilz:
    Some carbs and some protein will sort you out. Egg on toast is good, sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Quit it.
    i am deadly serious!! some of the cheaper ones are!! if your gonna take protein shakes take organic ones! avonmore have ones!!
    this problem has been around for years and itys why serious sports men and women dont take them!! only organic ones! AND YES I KNO ITS HARD TO BELIEVE but its true
    No it's not. Whey products are produced under VERY strictly controlled environments - no whey available in Ireland is produced in the same manufacturing plant as any steroids and they are absolutely not contaminated. That's an urban myth and a very bad one at that.

There WAS one study which took a sample of supplements and found a % of them to be contaminated but 1. none of them were Irish made/ produced 2. none of the supplements found to be contaminated were whey-based.

g'em wrote: »
    Quit it.

No it's not. Whey products are produced under VERY strictly controlled environments - no whey available in Ireland is produced in the same manufacturing plant as any steroids and they are absolutely not contaminated. That's an urban myth and a very bad one at that.

There WAS one study which took a sample of supplements and found a % of them to be contaminated but 1. none of them were Irish made/ produced 2. none of the supplements found to be contaminated were whey-based.

yeah its the ones made over seas in less regulated countries!!! avonmore one is 100% proper stuff if your gonna take anything!!! and its made in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

yeah its the ones made over seas in less regulated countries!!! avonmore one is 100% proper stuff if your gonna take anything!!! and its made in ireland

Work for avanmore do we?!

+1 on what khannie said or peanut butter and mashed banana on toast. NYOM:pac:

ULstudent wrote: »
    Work for avanmore do we?!

+1 on what khannie said or peanut butter and mashed banana on toast. NYOM:pac:

dont actually!! haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

alot of protein shakes are made in factories where steriods are made!

Have you got any links to enlighten the rest of us? :rolleyes:

I think you should get your coat mate..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

OP,

It can all depend on what time you finish training at. I try to only eat food that will digest quickly and not sit in my belly overnight (cause it messes with my sleep and i like my sleep :pac:)

What i eat and you might try are:
    -Ryvita with cottage cheese and some sliced tomato
    -Some boiled egg with wholegrain toast

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

all dairy/animal products contain hgh, so its best to avoid avonmore stuff too

also, i just make sure to get about 25g of protein and some simple carbs. This usually consists of milk, bananas and ice-cream. Then i eat a proper meal whenever i feel hungry again, which is probably about an hour later. Although i am a morning trainier, so this mightnt help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

alot of protein shakes are made in factories where steriods are made!

Protein shakes are made in.... testicles?

Seriously man you think they synthesize testosterone in the same factories they package cheese bi-products?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

You'll find most serious sportsmen/women have moved away from taking protein shakes because they're lacking in vital nutrients. That and real food actually tastes nicer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

kevpants wrote: »
    Protein shakes are made in.... testicles?

Seriously man you think they synthesize testosterone in the same factories they package cheese bi-products?

I thought Steroids and synthetic Hormones are different?

Advertisement