Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

English longbow

• 17-09-2014 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi there,

Is anyone aware of any longbow archery going on in the Dublin area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Midnight64

We may need some popcorn for this one!!

Your first problem is in definitions:
    FITA (and therefore AI) define the American Flatbow as a longbow (IIRC as long as it is > 63" nock to nock).
    FITA (ditto) do not have a separate category for the ELB so you are shooting at a huge disadvantage against AFBs.
    IFAF have a separate category for any bows shot off the hand called "historical" which includes ELBs, pyramid bows, horse bows, Yumi bows etc. and another separate category purely for AFBs.

I shoot an ELB or pyramid bow (depending on my mood!!) in field shoots, which they are ideally suited to.

There are a number of clubs within a reasonable distance from Dublin that run regular field shoots (Wicklow Archers Dargle Valley range is probably closest).

Some AI clubs will include a "fun" day when their members opt to shoot a "stick" for the day.

Another option, albeit not a regular thing, would to contact a LARP group.

At the end of the day I would strongly advise you to join an archery club to learn the main safety and practical rules to the sport and weed-out the stick shooters in the club and get them to shoot them for a change instead of the tech bows.

Hope this helps.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

upandover wrote: »
    Hi there,

Is anyone aware of any longbow archery going on in the Dublin area?

There's a new Trad club starting up very shortly within striking distance of Dublin.

If you're interested PM me for further details!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 upandover

Thanks for the responses guys. Interesting that AI don't distinguish English longbows.
    I am in a club already but there is only one ELB shooter so limited options for trying out bows.

My main mission at the minute is to figure out an appropriate weight (and length) so I can get a bow made up. I'm under the impression I would go significantly heavier for an ELB than for a regular recurve bow, so I'm considering 50lbs. And also that the length should be my height (73"). Any comment on this would be appreciated but obviously trying a couple out would trump anything.

PM about to go...

What's LARP?

LARP = Live Action Role Play.

Where are you and which club?

There's a new Trad club starting up very shortly within striking distance of Dublin.

If you're interested PM me for further details!

PM me too please.

• Advertisement
Advertisement