Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chromecast Apps Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

• 11-08-2014 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

There's a lot of demand and interest in Chromecast compatable apps in the Boards Android community and so in the interests of that community I'm setting this thread up so that people may inform on and discuss some of these apps.

Unfortunately, as we discovered in this earlier thread on the subject, it is a technology that can be used towards illegal ends; particularly the casting of copyrighted materials, and as a result that thread needed to be closed.

So this thread is here so that the community can get what it seeks, but I'm starting it afresh so that one thing is clear; any discussion on apps or methods, directly or indirectly, that result in any illegal activity will result in an immediate and permanent banning from this forum. Pleading ignorance will not be accepted as a defense. Hiding behind the use of code words to discuss such apps and warez will not be accepted as a defense.

How do you know if something can be discussed or not? Simple; if it has no real purpose other than to blatantly stream/cast copyrighted material, then it can't. If it has legitimate, legal and demonstrable, uses, then it can.

Please try to make this thread a positive one for the community. Thank you.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭corkie

Lets get the ball rolling!

You can find all supported chromecast apps for android here

Also a selection of apps available for android, iOS and Chrome extensions here <<< (reddit link, as far as I'm aware no illegal apps on the link - List gets updated regularly).

For playing local content use the chrome extension, I can recommend VideoStream which also has an android remote.

I paid for the premium version which has playlist support.

For android you have a choice of 3 apps for local content: -
    For casting Music I recommend Shuttle+

Mirror Enabler: For android screen mirroring on selected rooted KitKat devices.

Regards
    John

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

For anyone wanting to purchasing the Chromecast you can get it officially online at: and can pick it up in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭RichT

Just recently got this handy little gizmo and am having great fun with it. I'll be watching this thread intently to pick up some tips!

Unfortunately I'm no tech wiz, so I'll be leaching information rather than offering any.

Cheers OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

The Cast Store app on Google Play Store shows new apps that are compatible with Chromecast.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=goko.gcs

Downside is some of the apps aren't available in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

For streaming web video content:

Vidcast

• Advertisement

The Cast Store app on Google Play Store shows new apps that are compatible with Chromecast.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=goko.gcs

Downside is some of the apps aren't available in Ireland.

Not really a downside, you can download most apps from any of the alternative App Stores, like:

1 Mobile

Aptoide

and many others.

you could also try this: (It works for me....)

apk downloader

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

Flipps is a good one too

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bianor.amspremium&hl=en

its a bit like some of the now tv / roku channels

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Not sure if this is the right place but its Chromecast related ..
    I just changed my dns settings on the laptop to access US content on Netflix. Any show/Movie I now try to stream to my tv wont load ... I keep getting the message "Sorry that title is not available to watch instantly"
    Any ideas on how to get around this?

GBX wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right place but its Chromecast related ..
    I just changed my dns settings on the laptop to access US content on Netflix. Any show/Movie I now try to stream to my tv wont load ... I keep getting the message "Sorry that title is not available to watch instantly"
    Any ideas on how to get around this?

You need to have the chromecast and device your casting from on the same configured network. To achieve what your trying you have to configure your rooter (if possible).

Google it because instructions on how to achieve it are against boards rules.

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

corkie wrote: »
    You need to have the chromecast and device your casting from on the same configured network. To achieve what your trying you have to configure your rooter (if possible).

Google it because instructions on how to achieve it are against boards rules.

Oh ok .. cheers. Didnt think it was against the rules :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

daytob wrote: »
    Flipps is a good one too

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bianor.amspremium&hl=en

its a bit like some of the now tv / roku channels

Does it have 4od do you know?

Does it have 4od do you know?

No, but 4od is available on Play.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.channel4.ondemand

There is no native CC support, but screen mirroring might help, you need pretty hispeed home network....I tried it but its unwatchable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Pleading ignorance will not be accepted as a defense.
    GBX wrote: »
    Oh ok .. cheers. Didnt think it was against the rules :confused:
    Sigh... Seeking to circumvent copyright restrictions based on territory, is still seeking to circumvent copyright restrictions. Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Awesome little device, the Chromecast. I use mine every single day.

I realise that there is not cast function in 4OD. However, on some devices, it's possible to cast the entire screen from your phone or tablet (mostly Samsung and official Google devices at the moment).

This works perfectly for the likes of 4OD, Spotify etc that don't currently have a native cast function:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Sigh... Seeking to circumvent copyright restrictions based on territory, is still seeking to circumvent copyright restrictions. Banned.

Not all the time. It's a gray area and varies from country to country due to outdated or vague laws relating to geo location of digital material. Entering a fake address when signing up is the only sure thing that's illegal as you are providing fraudulent information. However if you also rent a PO Box along with a VPS you could be in the clear.

For example in Australia, which doesn't currently have Netflix, a spokesperson for Attorney-General Robert McClelland told The Australian: “In relation to the use of VPNs by Australians to access services such as Hulu and Netflix, on the limited information provided there does not appear to be an infringement of copyright law in Australia.”

The reason why the content is geographically restricted is due to agreements between companies like Hulu and Netflix and the media industry.
    You will break Netflix terms of service but there is no binding government law.

It's the same thing with Parcel Motel and they have support threads here on Boards. You are using it to purchase products not currently available in a country or territory.

It's a gray area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Tow

Dudda wrote: »
    For anyone wanting to purchasing the Chromecast you can get it officially online at:

I had no problems ordering one direct from Amazon UK with free shipping a few months back. Have they changed this?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Spotify etc that don't currently have a native cast function:)

Spoticast is supposed to be a great app for casting Spotify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Captain Morgan & Dudda: You've both received warnings for back-seat moderation. I already stated in the first post that this thread would be zero tolerance, and so I'm really not interested in legal discussions on what constitutes 'grey areas', not least of all because it would drag the thread off topic and make it moot. If it ain't snow white, it's black here. If someone is unsure, they can PM me to check.

Any more backseat moderation will result in escalated action.

Google pushed a design-focused update to the Google Plus app last week, but there was a hidden treat inside – support for casting to the Chromecast. The feature is quite simple – there is a new casting icon on the right-hand side of the circle selector dropdown. Clicking on it will launch a brief...
    Chromecast support appears to be enabled on a per-user basis from Google’s servers. In other words, you may not see the new feature yet, even if you’re running the latest version. To try out your luck, get the latest version of the Google Plus app from Gapps Early.

Quotes from AndroidAuthority

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Virtual

Some apps that I've tried and that haven't been mentioned so far in this thread:

Udemy - online video community for tutorials and courses
    Pocket Casts - cast your favourite podcasts to the TV (video or audio)
    Coursera - App connected to the online free course platform
    Lynda.com - online video community for tutorials and courses
    Umano - Great app to play news articles read by professional articles on your TV

corkie wrote: »
    Quotes from AndroidAuthority

I have a new version of Gapps and have tried Google+ now and I do get the Chromecast icon when looking at a photo or video.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Ive been using toaster cast instead of allcast which seems to do much the samw but imo looks better https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.n7mobile.simpleupnpplayer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

when it comes to Tec I may as ell be looking up a donkeys ass .

if I get one of these can i browse the net on it and watch movies etc ?

You can cast any Chrome tab to it, so the answer to both of your questions is yes.

Answer might be yes bit its npt its own standalone device like a tabket or smart phone. You need either to cast stuff to the tv and you still use the device your casting from to control it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

so i just plug it in then pair with my phone search for movies off the net and watch on my tv via phone ?

Sort of. There are apps which you can download for movies, the app then uses something like allcast or toaster cast to play it on the tv. Orbyou can cast music or movies stored on the phone

FireFox-on-Android-420x236.jpg
    Users of the Mozilla’s Firefox for Android should head over to Firefox’s nightly page and grab the newest update which brings Chromecast support to the popular third-party browser. With the update users can navigate to tools > mirror screen in the browser’s settings to cast tabs and videos to Google’s handy streaming stick. As previously mentioned, this is a nightly build and therefore an experimental feature. Head over to Firefox’s download page to grab the update.

Quoted from here

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Anyone able to watch BBC iplayer on chromecast using the app ?

Advertisement