Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pixel 5

Comments

Panda5000 wrote: »
    Just got Pixel 5 delivered from Vodafone! Didn't even know had started processing it, ordered very late Monday night.

That's good going. Mine just arrived today as well. I think if you order early in the week it's usually fast.

I'm glad I got my case and screen protectors a couple of weeks ago, but the screen protector doesn't have a cutout for the front facing camera :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Panda5000

I went to claim the headphones but you need to wait 14 days from the order date before claiming.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

Basil3 wrote: »
    That's good going. Mine just arrived today as well. I think if you order early in the week it's usually fast.

I'm glad I got my case and screen protectors a couple of weeks ago, but the screen protector doesn't have a cutout for the front facing camera :(

My spigen screen protector is the same but I'm assuming given its glass this is probably better rather than having a cut our collecting dust/dirt in the corners

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Echoes675 wrote: »
    So I've had mine for 5 days now and I must say I think this is a great phone.
    The battery life is fantastic. I put my phone on charge this morning for the first time since Mon afternoon. It was at ~25% remaining when I did and I was approaching 8 hrs SOT. (Mostly Reddit, web browsing and Youtube)

As has been heard everywhere the camera is great, a massive step up from my previous OnePlus 3.

I don't game on the phone but performance has been perfect for my normal use case.

I bought a thin hard case from Amazon, the original delivery date was set for the end of the month but it arrived on Monday and the tempered glass screen protector likewise arrived yesterday. I also got myself a couple of wireless charging docks. Never had wireless charging but it's really handy.

Given all the recent news about OnePlus starting to preload apps and install Amazon app via OTA, the dodgy screens and reduced update schedule I'm glad I didn't get the 8/8 pro when it came out.

What screen protector did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭SachaJ

I'm loving the phone so far but have to say it's very slippery in the hand. I definitely need a case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

SachaJ wrote: »
    I'm loving the phone so far but have to say it's very slippery in the hand. I definitely need a case.

Nowhere near as slippery as my old Pixel 3! I have one of the Google cases and really like it. It has a cloth covering but is quite rigid. Machine washable too apparently. I've always used Spigen clear cases until now, but every one of them has turned yellow after a while so looked for an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

username3 wrote: »
    Mind me asking if you have Bluetooth enabled when getting this battery performance?
    Do you have battery saving enabled?
    Dark mode or Bright?

I got some days of amazing battery, another day of gone by 9 pm..
    I wasn't taking note of what I had enabled/disabled the days it was really good. I know Bluetooth being on will always use more but id prefer to leave it on for smartwatch notifications.

Yes, Bluetooth is enabled 24/7

Battery saving set to kick in at 15% (I stuck it on charge before then so not a factor, but I'm sure it would eek out even longer)

Using dark mode

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

SachaJ wrote: »
    What screen protector did you get?

2 Pack UniqueMe Screen Protector. Cost me £11.

Good thing there were two in the pack as I balls'd up the first one

Strangely the phone came with an older version of Google Photos, easy update to get the new interface and features you might have seen in reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭danicm

Any of you guys who already received the phone using a Pixel Stand? On the tech specs for the Pixel Stand it says "Up to 10 W charge for Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL" so I'm not sure if it's compatible.

• Advertisement

danicm wrote: »
    Any of you guys who already received the phone using a Pixel Stand? On the tech specs for the Pixel Stand it says "Up to 10 W charge for Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL" so I'm not sure if it's compatible.

Yes, it works fine.

Tried out the astrophotography camera mode this evening... mind blown. Clear sky but city light polution and still captured some amazing shots.

The display is a thing of beauty.

Main gripe so far is the fingerprint sensor is a bit close to the camera lenses. Very conscious about trying not to smudge the lenses.

Mine is fine.

Reminds me of the HTC M7. Absolutely beautiful device, amazing design, but had similar gap issues. I know people that returned multiple devices until they got one they were happy with.

Mine is fine.

Reminds me of the HTC M7. Absolutely beautiful device, amazing design, but had similar gap issues. I know people that returned multiple devices until they got one they were happy with.

Cool. Hopefully it was just a bad batch.

A couple of software related things I've noticed.

I don't have any battery stats, it just says battery usage data isn't available. My phone is also sticking up around 100% for a long time. I'd say I have between half an hour and one hour SOT, and I'm still at 99%.

Another thing is that developer options are enabled by default. I thought that was a bit strange.

I'm also getting used to not having 2 button navigation as an option. I'm trying to get used to the gestures, they're starting to grow on me.

Overall, enjoying it so far. The 90hz refresh rate is definitely noticeable, which is nice. Phone is a good size, I think a 6" screen is about perfect.

A couple of software related things I've noticed.

I don't have any battery stats, it just says battery usage data isn't available. My phone is also sticking up around 100% for a long time. I'd say I have between half an hour and one hour SOT, and I'm still at 99%.

Another thing is that developer options are enabled by default. I thought that was a bit strange.

I'm also getting used to not having 2 button navigation as an option. I'm trying to get used to the gestures, they're starting to grow on me.

Overall, enjoying it so far. The 90hz refresh rate is definitely noticeable, which is nice. Phone is a good size, I think a 6" screen is about perfect.

Fwiw, my battery stats are slowly beginning to settle down a bit. In the beginning it was showing 100% for up to 4 hours before starting to reduce, now it's only 2 hours. I suspect it was using the battery calibration data from my old Pixel 3 that I transferred everything from and it's taking a while to recalibrate.

Panda5000 wrote: »
    Tried out the astrophotography camera mode this evening... mind blown. Clear sky but city light polution and still captured some amazing shots.

The display is a thing of beauty.
    I had that on my Pixel 3. Took some amazing photos of the Northern Lights in Finland, superior to any of the other people there with me with expensive DSLRs. Also took some amazing photos in New Zealand last year of a completely cloudless sky with no other lighting apart from the stars. You do need a tripod of some sort if doing the really long exposures though.

Alun wrote: »
    I had that on my Pixel 3. Took some amazing photos of the Northern Lights in Finland, superior to any of the other people there with me with expensive DSLRs. Also took some amazing photos in New Zealand last year of a completely cloudless sky with no other lighting apart from the stars. You do need a tripod of some sort if doing the really long exposures though.

I was going to ask actually, what kind of gimbal or tripod to use for this sort of thing as I wouldn't be one for carrying big clunky tripods with me. Or could you just lie it on the floor with the camera facing up?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

I was going to ask actually, what kind of gimbal or tripod to use for this sort of thing as I wouldn't be one for carrying big clunky tripods with me. Or could you just lie it on the floor with the camera facing up?

i tired during the summer with my pixel 4 resting the camera on an outdoor fence but it wouldnt enter astro mode...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 username3

Starting to think I have an issue with my pixel 5, 10% down today, and although I've listened to some music for about 15 minutes over Bluetooth, I'm at 90% already. 9 minutes screen time :(
    The phone needed to be charged at 9pm after a fairly easy-going day yesterday also.

Starting to think I have an issue with my pixel 5, 10% down today, and although I've listened to some music for about 15 minutes over Bluetooth, I'm at 90% already. 9 minutes screen time :(
    The phone needed to be charged at 9pm after a fairly easy-going day yesterday also.

It's almost always software issues, I'd look at what apps are draining.

My stats have finally started updating, but this is my first day of full usage. Almost 2 hours of screen on time, and at 90%. That can't be right, but I'll take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

An app is keeping your phone awake, remember the covid tracing app kept Play services constantly active a while back making phones warm and draining the battery. Check your battery usage it should give an idea what is and force stop, see if it makes any difference.

It needs to detect absolutely no motion whatever before it'll go into astrophotography mode. I have a tiny little portable tripod thingy like this.

https://joby.com/global/gorillapod-phone-tripods/

It's a bit small to put on the ground and still be able to use it pointing to the sky, unless it's dry enough to lie on the ground, but if you have a wall or something else to rest it on it's fine.

For just night mode, hand held works pretty well too.

Here's a couple of examples.

skodacb wrote: »
    An app is keeping your phone awake, remember the covid tracing app kept Play services constantly active a while back making phones warm and draining the battery. Check your battery usage it should give an idea what is and force stop, see if it makes any difference.

Yeah, I uninstalled about 15 apps last night including covid and it wasn't those. My last suspicion is tunein radio which the battery says was used today even thought it wasnt... so uninstalled that and fingers crossed that'll be it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭henke

Yeah, I uninstalled about 15 apps last night including covid and it wasn't those. My last suspicion is tunein radio which the battery says was used today even thought it wasnt... so uninstalled that and fingers crossed that'll be it

Yeah I think TuneIn is your culprit. About 2 weeks ago I had serious battery drain and warming on my Pixel 3 and TuneIn was the cause. Seen it reported on Reddit also so I uninstalled it and it resolved my issues immediately. I have had TuneIn a long time and it seemed to start occurring following a Play Services update a few weeks back so I guess there is some incompatibility there.

I'm going to pick up a cheap tripod with phone holder on Amazon for under €20.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ibeston-Aluminum-Lightweight-Bluetooth-Smartphones/dp/B07K6GNGLD/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=tripod+for+phones&qid=1603362508&sr=8-9

I have owned much better tripods before but lost mounts and really didn't use them much. This will do for now. If you have a good tripod just get a phone holder mount.

With cheap tripods and a light phone it's generally worth hanging a weight from under the head to keep it all steady.

henke wrote: »
    Yeah I think TuneIn is your culprit. About 2 weeks ago I had serious battery drain and warming on my Pixel 3 and TuneIn was the cause. Seen it reported on Reddit also so I uninstalled it and it resolved my issues immediately. I have had TuneIn a long time and it seemed to start occurring following a Play Services update a few weeks back so I guess there is some incompatibility there.

This was it.. such a relief!!!
    Had to clear cache on play services also uninstalling wasn't enough
    Thanks!

• Advertisement

On track for 15 hours screen on time :pac:

Advertisement