Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pixel 4a

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭f1000

That's a decent offer from Vodafone €229 for the 3a and I could get 8 month calls, data & texts with the price difference for the 4a

...but I do like the smaller footprint of the 4a and the spec bump even though the camera is the same as the 3a

f1000 wrote: »
    That's a decent offer from Vodafone €229 for the 3a and I could get 8 month calls, data & texts with the price difference for the 4a

...but I do like the smaller footprint of the 4a and the spec bump even though the camera is the same as the 3a

It's €129 for the 3a, so you'd get a lot more than 8 months worth with the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

glasso wrote: »
    that's not really true at all when you take sales tax / VAT into account

$349 is an ex-VAT price in the US

€389 in euro is a post-VAT price here

compared to the way that things used to be be priced it's actually very good comparatively

comparison to 3a here

https://www.androidcentral.com/google-pixel-4a-vs-pixel-3a

the 3a on the Vodafone deal is the bargain to get really

Well that is not correct.

In the EU the price is 349€ with the exception in Ireland, Spain and Italy where it is 389€.

In Germany Google after the recent VAT cut sells it for even lower price of 340€. Even with our 21% VAT against the German 16% the price for Ireland clearly includes a significant markup for some reason.

And yes I know the UK price is 349£. So Google clearly did a 349 strategy with the exception of IE, IT, ES where they charge significant more.

Well that is not correct.

In the EU the price is 349€ with the exception in Ireland, Spain and Italy where it is 389€.

In Germany Google after the recent VAT cut sells it for even lower price of 340€. Even with our 21% VAT against the German 16% the price for Ireland clearly includes a significant markup for some reason.

And yes I know the UK price is 349£. So Google clearly did a 349 strategy with the exception of IE, IT, ES where they charge significant more.

the point was the Irish price vs the US price if you read the original post, not some intra-European analysis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

the point was the Irish price vs the US price if you read the original post, not some intra-European analysis

349$ is 296€.

US sales taxes are not applicable for all states BTW.

So even if you take 21% VAT into consideration the 389€ price has a significant markup compared to the US price as its clearly shown that in the rest of the EU they do it for 349€.

There is a 40€ Irish premium in the price compared to other EU markets.

Ordering it from Europe could save you 40€.

• Advertisement

349$ is 296€.

So even if you take 21% VAT into consideration the 389€ price has a significant markup compared to the US price as its clearly shown that in the rest of the EU they do it for 349€.

That’s the way it has been and the way it is. Nearly all phones and other tech are the same so I’m not sure why this is worth such outrage.

It's almost always been the case that whatever price a phone sells for in USA without tax is what the phone sells for in Europe with tax ($499 -> €499 etc.). With the dollar being the weakest it's been for the past two years, you'd expect us to do better than this usual simple conversion, not the other way around.

Grahamer72's point was correct.

That’s the way it has been and the way it is. Nearly all phones and other tech are the same so I’m not sure why this is worth such outrage.

exactly.

in the past it could have even been that something like a phone that goes for $349 (before sales tax) could be €450 over here or worse

take a look at the price of laptops for example

this is frequently still the case with most laptops if you actually take a look at prices

349$ is 296€.

looks like pretty much the vast majority of states to me

https://support.google.com/store/answer/6160272?hl=en

again the original point was vs US not about the irish price vs other European countries

exactly.

in the past it could have even been that something like a phone that goes for $349 (before sales tax) could be €450 over here or worse

take a look at the price of laptops for example

this is frequently still the case with most laptops if you actually take a look at prices

To simplify it for you as you seem to be bit confused, the Pixel 3a was $399 in the USA (without tax) and €399 in Ireland (with tax) when it first launched. This direct conversion from euro to dollar is almost always done when a new phone is launched in both markets.

In the case of the Pixel 4a, the conversion is worse than this for us, even though the dollar is weaker than when the Pixel 3a was launched. This is the point that is being made.

• Advertisement

To simplify it for you as you seem to be bit confused, the Pixel 3a was $399 in the USA (without tax) and €399 in Ireland (with tax) when it first launched. This direct conversion from euro to dollar is almost always done when a new phone is launched in both markets.

In the case of the Pixel 4a, the conversion is worse than this for us, even though the dollar is weaker than when the Pixel 3a was launched. This is the point that is being made.

I thought that we were talking about the 4a price, not the 3a.

you seem confused.

phone prices here have often been a lot higher than the US -

e.g. https://www.thejournal.ie/new-iphone-cost-ireland-3594899-Sep2017/

and as said, this is the case for the majority of tech products if you compare using amazon for example

I thought that we were talking about the 4a price, not the 3a.

you seem confused.

phone prices here have often been a lot higher than the US -

e.g. https://www.thejournal.ie/new-iphone-cost-ireland-3594899-Sep2017/

Have you misread my post? I directly referenced the price of the 4a. The conversion has gotten worse from the 3A to the 4A, it is very straightforward point to understand.

Have you misread my post? I directly referenced the price of the 4a. The conversion has gotten worse from the 3A to the 4A, it is very straightforward point to understand.

I couldn't care less what you directly or indirectly referenced

you're well known for the most pointless and pedantic arguments on boards

new better phone model comes out priced cheaper than the last model but that's not good enough :pac:

glasso wrote:
    I couldn't care less what you directly or indirectly referenced

you're well known for the most pointless and pedantic arguments on boards

And you're well known for stating that someone is argumentative when you can't think of a good reply.

Almost all android phones have a paddy tax that equates to a direct euro dollar exchange rate, it's been like that for years. This is an exception, which is the point that has been made by myself and others. Whether that paddy tax is typically higher for Apple phones, laptops etc. is irrelevant. This is a higher paddy tax than the norm for an Android smartphone, simple as that.
    glasso wrote:
    new better phone model comes out priced cheaper than the last model but that's not good enough

I never said it wasn't a good deal, in fact I think it's a great deal. If you were annoyed by other people comparing different European prices, you should be annoyed at yourself by making this irrelevant comment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭f1000

Basil3 wrote: »
    It's €129 for the 3a, so you'd get a lot more than 8 months worth with the difference.

Wow, just seen that when I went to checkout :eek:

f1000 wrote: »
    Wow, just seen that when I went to checkout :eek:

It's a great deal alright! It kind of dampens how good of a deal the 4a also is. Hopefully a similar deal will be available for the 4a when I eventually break my 3a. :)

According to this article, it won't actually be available for purchase until October, with preorders in September.

I guess they just wanted to push out the announcement ahead of the OnePlus Nord.

According to this article, it won't actually be available for purchase until October, with preorders in September.

I guess they just wanted to push out the announcement ahead of the OnePlus Nord.

Yea, it's August 20th in the US. October here afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Current 3a owner, was hoping for 1 of the following for the 4a to tempt me to buy: wireless charging, larger than 6 inch display, 90hz refresh rate.
    No point in changing it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Wow. That's an absolute stinker, then.

• Advertisement

The gap between announcement and sale renders it completely pointless. Google are so bad at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

The gap between announcement and sale renders it completely pointless. Google are so bad at this.

Yep pretty much! That and by the time it's actually available here the pixel 4a 5G (the 5G alone won't be worth the 110 euro extra asking price over the standard 4a) will be out/announced and so will the pixel 5.

Only plus side is it will give people a bit of choice for a pixel rather than just 2 sizes for essentially the same phone.

May try grab a 3a/XL in that case...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I only watched one review on launch day - MKBHD. iirc, his criticism was around performance, other than that, I think he was pretty positive. Whilst I enjoy some tech videos, I never get too into the nitty gritty of what they're discussing as there's just so many videos.

Disappointing about October anyway.

I only watched one review on launch day - MKBHD. iirc, his criticism was around performance, other than that, I think he was pretty positive. Whilst I enjoy some tech videos, I never get too into the nitty gritty of what they're discussing as there's just so many videos.

But why get a 4a when you can get 3a for half the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭914

Beersmith wrote: »

Because people want the new shiny one!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Already with Vodafone PAYG. When I click the link that was posted here it asks me to log in, but the page is then blank.
    914 wrote: »

That's a little bit of it, yeah. :p I'm not in any great rush, really and will do some more research. Recently did a computer upgrade, a phone can wait a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭914

Already with Vodafone PAYG. When I click the link that was posted here it asks me to log in, but the page is then blank.

That's a little bit of it, yeah. :p I'm not in any great rush, really and will do some more research. Recently did a computer upgrade, a phone can wait a while.

Don't blame you. The majority of us want the latest tech. No different to when samsung release the s20 very few people then want the s10.

That is why technology pregresses at the rate it does.

Tempted with the 4a myself but seen as it won't arrive till October I'll see what the pixel 5 has to offer

914 wrote: »

I understand that for flagship phones which I've gotten in the past but a 4a is bang for buck which is why the 3a beats the pants out of it. Im really struggling to see the improvement over the 3a

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

I understand that for flagship phones which I've gotten in the past but a 4a is bang for buck which is why the 3a beats the pants out of it. Im really struggling to see the improvement over the 3a
    I hear you on this one mate, the 3A was a considered upgrade over my Pixel 2 XL but for me I couldn't - not with it using eMMC memory (UFS 2.1 is a vast improvement). The 4A is a big upgrade in terms of CPU, RAM/ROM (6GB/128GB) battery life, screen format (no bezels), support life... its just a worthy, modern looking upgrade at a solid price. I'm sold, definitely my next phone.

• Advertisement

I’d watched his first but after watching a few others, he seemed to be the only one that found performance an issue. Any others I seen were positive on it.

Advertisement